The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Q4 map conversion YanTdm1. (28/03/11)

Bikerdude

Thanks for the mission!

Completed on medium, stealth score 5.

Nice little mission. The location was interesting with the z-dimension. The music was nice: is it not a standard TDM asset? I've not heard it before. It reminded me of fallout 2 musics, nice piece. However, it started to get a bit too repetive towards the end.

Textures. Some lights were unintuitively strange: they didn't illuminate the ground but when you were near them you were light like a torch. Maybe this was because of the textures: it was difficult to see which areas were well lit.

AI patrols were decent, but rather unimaginative.

There were doors which were unfrobable, and looked exactly the same like the frobable ones. It's annoying to take a risk to reach a door which turns out to be only a prop. Maybe leave the handle out from the unfrobable ones in the future?

There could have been some readables and other backgroud info: why the thugs were there? Who was the boss? Maybe some letters home by some of the thugs? Without any the locale didn't feel very real and immersive.

Okay mission, overall.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There were doors which were unfrobable, and looked exactly the same like the frobable ones. It's annoying to take a risk to reach a door which turns out to be only a prop. Maybe leave the handle out from the unfrobable ones in the future?

There could have been some readables and other backgroud info: why the thugs were there? Who was the boss? Maybe some letters home by some of the thugs? Without any the locale didn't feel very real and immersive.

i don't think any of that was the point here. the point is: "this was a q4 map, now its TDM, how you like me now??"

Edited by ungoliant

I'd say that this is a surprisingly entertaining nugget in spite of it's short development time. The fact that Sotha has deemed it worthy of read-ables (etc) is a testament to how well it turned out ^_^

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Nice little mission. The location was interesting with the z-dimension. The music was nice: is it not a standard TDM asset? I've not heard it before.

its tdm resource and as I mentioned before this mission was a proof of concept, nothing more, it was put out there to give you guys something to play, nothing more.

I'd say that this is a surprisingly entertaining nugget in spite of it's short development time. The fact that Sotha has deemed it worthy of read-ables (etc) is a testament to how well it turned out ^_^

Exactly. I did understand that it is a proof-of-concept, but the transformation was so good that I automatically seemed to handle it as if it was a 'full' mission.

If evaluated as a proof-of-concept we see that it can be done with good results.

If evaluated as a 'full' mission, we could safely state that even a deathmatch map like this could be modified into an immersive, interesting and challenging mission if the mapper put some more effort in terms of gameplay, plotting, etc.

Good work. Maybe this opens up a new breed of mappers who scour old deathmatch maps for geometries to modify (with permissions of course).

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

• 1 month later...

Well , I guess I must admit it and come clean , I'm the most pathetic thief around and the first to ask for advice on this ' mission '.

I've bumped off the three thieves I've encountered moving around , also found the sleeping thief behind the locked door and the door to nowhere that you can't jump out of. Must be missing the blinking obvious because there seems to be nothing else to find in the areas I've been to. What am I missing ?!

Nice though , reminds me of Quake.

look for a

secret door in that room...

Thanks Bikerdude , trust me to go through too fast and miss the obvious !

• 6 months later...

I agree the AI felt very out of place here. I understand that every FM needs 2 things.

Loot and AI

but I think this is one of those instances if you don't want to put the work in to make them look as if they have made the place their home then you shouldn't include them.

I know that would make for a boring mod, but a little bit of atmosphere and things to find and you can be surprised how good a FM can be...Take illusionists Tower for example, or you could put monsters instead.

Edited by TheUnbeholden

• 2 weeks later...

One thing that I would have liked for this FM is exploration. There where about 2 doors that can't be opened (I suggest removing the door handle on those). But what I really felt that this FM is missing, is rooftop sections! This is the sort of map that should feel like a big junkyard! Where there are many secret places that you can get lost in. And should feel like a maze. I was expecting that and got zilch :(

the map was just a proof of concept, as in converting a quake4 map for use in TDM. But as mentioned aboive, I may do an update on this etc..

If you want to hear what I think, it'll be waste of time to update this. It has almost no potential for second run and needs too much work to do. Nevertheless I'll respect if you really want to do since you are the author. :)

• 1 year later...
A beautiful map, although I must say I'm a little disappointed I thought it was much bigger. It seems it was a deathmatch map in Quake 4.
the map was just a proof of concept, as in converting a quake4 map for use in TDM. But as mentioned aboive, I may do an update on this etc..
heh, I may do an update on this then at some point..

Time to update it to TDM2.0 and expand it just a little then...

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Just found this little unpolished gem and taffed through it on difficult. And surely it looks a little like a deathmatch level of a first person shooter (well, it is...), the textures are a bit blurry up close, the guards where easy to knock out despite almost the whole map consisting of metal surfaces, the architecture feeled oversized like originally beeing built for giants...

But it surely played surprisingly well for a concept. I can imagine finding a downscaled version of this in a bigger map. Also would love to encounter a mission that is basically this filled with a poor folk's town of wooden shacks on the various levels (with local leader's shack on top level) or a pagan settlement that reclaimed that ole part of a plague-hounted city.

The abandoned/repurposed factory style would be as fresh for a TDM mission now as it was four years ago. I think, recycling and polishing old geometry for new FMs has potential where old textures sadly often are just too low in resolution...

And: Is it possible to make maps from T1..3 playable in TDM as well?