The Dark Mod Forums

Wish to do voice acting...

pusianka

Hi there,

I want to say in the beginning that I am really impressed with the improvements that TDM team has done so far and I also congratulate all amateur map makers who are trying their best to come up to players expectations(and they achieve it pretty often)*.

Now since I realised that I won't become a TDM mapper(already workin in UDK - no time), I decided to try voice acting to contribute to this mod in any way. I am just 18 but I've been told in the past that I have a great voice for poetry reading. I also like acting and am able to make myself laugh or cry any time. Regardless of what you will think of my voice acting when I post some samples on the forum, I need to get a good recording hardware and software. I hope to find answer in this thread. So my questions are:

1. What hardware you use to record your voice(Mic, portable recorder?)?

2. What software do you use to clean the recordings( if necessary)?

Please think of me as a person with not big budget when it comes to hardware.

Waiting for your suggestions and pieces of advice.

Pusiek

* - Bikerdude you're my favourite mapper!

I have started to UDK recently. Just curiousity, could you show some of your work?:)

Well I know a lot about unreal engine but I took up UDK like 2 months ago so I don't have anything really impressive yet done. I can rather show some of my work from earlier unreal editor. Anyway back on topic I need first help with the voice acting thing then we can start chatting ;)

I have started to UDK recently. Just curiousity, could you show some of your work?:)

Well I know a lot about unreal engine but I took up UDK like 2 months ago so I don't have anything really impressive yet done. I can rather show some of my work from earlier unreal editor. Anyway back on topic I need first help with the voice acting thing then we can start chatting ;)

Depends. Like Duke Ellington said, "If it sounds good, it is good." :) I'd love to hear a sample. I've heard some surprisingly good stuff even though USB headsets.

For noise removal, I've always said that if a recording sounds like it needs some, it's just plain too noisy. If a recording sounds like it barely needs any, then a light noise removal even in audacity can add that clean-cut edge.

GoldChocobo, who did most of the vocals, AFAIK used a Roland NTK mic through his DAW. You'd have to ask him for more specifics. I use an AT4033b into my Cakewalk DAW. GC recorded in a nice, dry space. Mine was a little more wet with reverb (though I wish I had recorded in a more dampened space).

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

My recommendation for a cheap entry-level vocal mic is the standard Shure SM58, or even the SM57. You'll find them everywhere. They won't have the fidelity of condenser mics, but the guys at Open Outcast get some good work done with the SM58.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

I remember that the vocals in the original Thief games were recorded with at least a bit of reverb in the background. I wonder why they did that? Could it be to provide a believable environment when the player is in stone areas, even if he/she doesn't have an EAX sound card?

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.

My only advice is to try and get the noise floor of your recordings as low as possible, I have done by using my laptop and a external usb sound card (creative emu202) and a generic condenser mic and having a very quiet room, using a cushions around the mic area to dampen down sound reflections. I Still want a better mic so have been told a PZM mic is the way to go.

I can say that you get what you pay for in a mic, and there is a HUGE difference in quality as you pay more. Not sure what the exchange rate is, but cheap $10-$50 mics will not be good enough, you'll need to spend probably at least $100 (but maybe $100 mic would be good enough)

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

I would consider looking at portable recorders as well, this is what I use for recording footsteps and so on. The sound quality is excellent, and being portable you have the advantage of being able to take it into a different room if the environment around your computer is too noisy.

Remember that if you record directly into the computer, you also need a good sound card; the best mic in the world will count for nothing if the ADC in your laptop is shit.

This is the shop I use for audio equipment generally: http://www.thomann.de/gb/index.html

And this is the recorder I have: http://www.thomann.de/gb/tascam_dr_07.htm

Regarding software, I use REAPER: http://www.reaper.fm/

However I agree with what others have said regarding cleaning recordings; it is much better to record in a quiet environment than try to remove noise afterwards.

Remember that if you record directly into the computer, you also need a good sound card; the best mic in the world will count for nothing if the ADC in your laptop is shit.

This method wont work ORbs as the mic will picup the noise of the computer case fans, as it did in my case..

I dunno much about these, but I know ocn's voiceacting lines (grenefeld in The Transaction) have always been of perfect audio quality to mine ears, and I think he is using this one:

http://www.oreillyne...d-recorder.html

BrokenArts uses some cheaper equipment and we had to remove background noise from those vocals with software. I think the quality was still decent, if you check the prisoner's line in the Transaction.

I am just 18 but I've been told in the past that I have a great voice for poetry reading. I also like acting and am able to make myself laugh or cry any time.

Hm... The vocal set "The Poet" would be a nice compliment to the Thug, Critic and Grumbler. ;)

All the current voices sound as if the characters were 25-30 years old. If you have a "young" voice, that would be nice for more young characters.

I'd love to hear a few sample lines from you, even with some existing old headset mike or something. FM author's could always use willing people to make lines. If there was a vocal set based on your voice and you'd still be inclined to do custom extra lines, that would be great.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

This method wont work ORbs as the mic will picup the noise of the computer case fans, as it did in my case..

Indeed, that's why I suggest a portable recorder. The computer doesn't even need to be on while you are recording. But if recording into the computer is a requirement for whatever reason, a decent outboard USB or FireWire sound interface and a long mic cable might be the way to go.

Ok so far it doesn't seem that I'll get a good device for recording since prices are really really high! I guess I'm gonna borrow some good headset from someone and just record it as it is for you. You'll comment and then I might get a boost to look for money. Btw maybe you have some lines you'd wish me to try and say. I am planning to record you a part from Shakespeare(since I had to learn a little bit in original) but I am open for some lines which you'd wish me to try and say which could be used in average FM. Feel free to post some(even crazy ones!)