The Dark Mod Forums

One fm in 2011

maga

Is darkmod alive? Why there are so little fm created? How about to make some kind of official company which will be like an example for everyone?

Thank you very much for your patience and sorry for my strange English. Holland btw.

There's a contest going on right now, so we're about to see a number of FMs that will come out together for that.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Also, people involved in large mapping efforts with long build times (myself included). Would be nice to see some variety in small FMs, though; once I'm done with what I am working on with Bikerdude's help (will take some time), I'll try to do some small projects. Only problem is, my small projects tend to turn into large ones fast. :wacko:

OTOH, why not take up mapping and surprise us? :)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Also, people involved in large mapping efforts with long build times (myself included). Would be nice to see some variety in small FMs, though; once I'm done with what I am working on with Bikerdude's help (will take some time), I'll try to do some small projects. Only problem is, my small projects tend to turn into large ones fast. :wacko:

OTOH, why not take up mapping and surprise us? :)

no no no, no please! hate small missions, why would any even waste its time on small fm? Fm must be big, like truart house, or bank, or assassins or... I would never understand these crazy contests aim on creation of small fms like 64x64x64 and etc.

Thank you very much for your patience and sorry for my strange English. Holland btw.

no no no, no please! hate small missions, why would any even waste its time on small fm? Fm must be big, like truart house, or bank, or assassins or... I would never understand these crazy contests aim on creation of small fms like 64x64x64 and etc.

The contests are challenging and fun. I would also rather have a small 'excellent' mission, than a large 'bad' mission.

I think it's just been too long since Thief came out. I'm a big fan of the game, but when it came out I was 13. When the Dark Mod started off I was at university. Now I'm 27 and have two kids. I think the original thief-generation has just grown up and have lost interest/don't have time to make missions, and as time goes on the hard-core that do is just going to be whittled down further.

I think it's just been too long since Thief came out. I'm a big fan of the game, but when it came out I was 13. When the Dark Mod started off I was at university. Now I'm 27 and have two kids. I think the original thief-generation has just grown up and have lost interest/don't have time to make missions, and as time goes on the hard-core that do is just going to be whittled down further.

There are plenty of missions being worked on...for both TDM and T2, but there will be dry spells sometimes until the new stuff comes out. That's all we're seeing right now. Everything hits peaks and lows. With the T2 source code leak, and TDM really starting to hit its stride with faster releases...Thief gameplay will have a resurgence once more. T4 will have an effect and reignite interest in Thief once more too. Whether the original generation accept T4 or gravitate toward TDM and missions using the updated T2 exe remains to be seen, but I have no doubt things will pick up once again.

I think it's just been too long since Thief came out. I'm a big fan of the game, but when it came out I was 13. When the Dark Mod started off I was at university. Now I'm 27 and have two kids. I think the original thief-generation has just grown up

Man, you just don't know what impact your words had on me... God, its been almost twelve years already...

Edited by maga

Your desire for continual mission releases conflicts with your aversion to small contest missions.

Big missions take time to produce. ;)

If you are looking for TDM team member missions then usually that would be quite a wait as they are tied-up getting the mod working as well as they can (with as many features as they can build).

However, you will be fortunate to see that Springheel is pending the release of his mission "Showing Some Respect" this summer!!! :wub:

Also remember that not all FM authors are forthcoming about the missions they are building. For example a member "CampaignJunkie" posted screens of his WIP mission in 2009 but didn't return to the forums 'till late 2010 to provide updated progress (under his new id "RadiatorYang"). I think a similar span of time was the absence of Garreth who is now regularly asking editing questions regarding his mission.

I have compiled a wiki of "Upcoming Fan Missions" to track these "Work In Progress" missions so you can gauge how many missions may be arriving some time in the future:

http://modetwo.net/d...ng_Fan_Missions

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

In that case, you simply have to accept more infrequent releases. My two large Thief maps took 9 and 11 months to finish, respectively, at a time when I could spend more time on editing than I do now. There is simply no getting around it.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Some foks just tent to forget that most missions are ONE man jobs (with only a "littel" help her and there) and thus take a looooong time to build ohmy.gif I for one hav a great respect for ANY FM authors that even relases a mission smile.gif Just be patience and you will hav taffing fun before you know it wink.gif