The Dark Mod Forums

Tutorials in Darkradiant

Bikerdude

That was good! Thank you.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

You may use better codecs as Komag did or a small virtual magnifying glass that covers a small region around the pointer. Sadly, I don't remember the name of the program.

The original video was done in full 1080p, unfortunatly even though the original is in youtubes own format (h.264) the process of uploading to them still results in quality loss. So unless someone knows of a better video hosting site then I am all ears, failing that I will just upload the files somewhere so people can watch them in full quality. Fyi the original is nice and sharp and is only 67mb.

• 3 months later...

What happened to your Curtains video Biker?

Edit: forget my comment, I did forget about that damn proxy filter while been at work ;)

Edited by fllood

"To rush is without doubt the most important enemy of joy" ~ Thieves Saying

i did mine at native 720p, so if you watch it at 720p you are seeing exact native pixel sizes. 720 scales down to be pretty visible at lower resolutions as well. I think it's a good compromise resolution to use, as most people don't have monitors with 1080p or higher resolutions

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

What happened to your Curtains video Biker?

They have been used in a project that Melan and myself are working on :ph34r:

i did mine at native 720p, so if you watch it at 720p you are seeing exact native pixel sizes.

As in 1280*720..?

Cool! It's interesting to hear your voice it's so different than what I thought Bikerdude, I was expecting American accent

LOL, wash your mouth out, only the 'queens engerish' here...

Actually, I think I've KO'd bikerdude at least a dozen times in various missions already.

yeah thanks for that, Benny... the next ale is on you.

need an official 'bikerdude' character voice set sporting phrases like "what are you like?"

Heheh that can be arranged, now where is your tut vid mista...

• 1 year later...

I think a series of videos that breakdown each feature of dark radiant would be nice. so there could be a video that focuses specifically on the surface inspector, one that talks about sky boxes, one on how to make water, etc. the videos available currently are nice, but focus mostly on square brush work and patches. Show off every feature on every menu.

Taurus philosophy:

Give me a hammer and tell me I have 6 hours to break up a 2 inch thick layer of ice. As soon as you walk away I'm going to use some hot water and salt so I can take a nap for the remaining 5 and a half hours. Taureans hate wasting energy and if there's a more efficient way to do something they will find it.

• 1 year later...

Vertex blending: (w/ Obsttorte's vertblend script)

1. I created a folder called ' blend ' in my fms folder
2. I created DR/TDM shortcut's to point to said folder -

• C:\Program Files\DarkRadiant\DarkRadiant.exe fs_game=darkmod/fms/blend
  • D:\Games\Darkmod\TheDarkMod.exe +set fs_currentfm blend

3. I then copied all the relevant files to the ' D:\Games\Darkmod\fms\blend ' folder

• maps> - this is where you place the test map.
  • materials>tdm_blend_texture.mtr - this is the blend texture definition.
  • models>blendtest.ase - this is where you will placed the .ASE model with the blended textures.
  • textures>common>blend.tga - this is the blend texture that you apply to the blend blocks/brushes which are placed where you want to blend your textures.

4. I have attached a copy of the blend fm, enjoy.

blend_text.zip.txt

Edited by Bikerdude

Nice tutorial, Biker.

And thanks to Obs for providing the script.

In the tut, you pointed out that the blending area is a dip in the patch. Does a dip always have to be used? Can we blend two flat patches together in any way? My application is snow on a cobblestone street. I'd like the covered part of the street to not have snow, and the exposed part to have snow. It wouldn't make sense to have a dip in the place where the two textures blend.

Also, you said you attached the blend FM, but I don't see it.

The patches do not need to be dip. What Biker did wrong in the first place was not that the patches were flat, but due to the fact he had the patch tesselation set to automatic, which is the default, there were no vertices inside the blend blocks. So if you want to have the blend effect on an even patch, you only need to open up the patch inspector (shift+s) and set the tesselation to manual. Then add some values for horizontal and vertical tesselation to provide enough vertices.

Another note: The blend texture used to mark the vertices does not need to be shipped with the fm. Only the material definition with the texture actually used on the model needs to be shipped.

Nice video anyways, Biker. I only expected your voice to be deeper ;)

EDIT: There is a "center at origin" option.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

@Biker: Regarding your question in the end. You have to use the rotate and scale commands on all blend stages. Thus meaning: diffuse, specular, bump (not sure about this one), and the ambient stage.

You only did that for the ambient stage, which basically does nothing more then to color the texture in regards to the ambient light in the area.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

• 3 years later...

Bikerdude, do you still have that video tutorial. I've just read all of this and am completely lost. I have the blend maps you did but it all

just looks like nodrawsolids.

Completely confused. I need to learn how to do this for my next map, as it's going to play a big role.

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/