The Dark Mod Forums

Objectives--exit objective not working

Springheel

Yet another objective problem. These things are becoming my nemesis. <_<

I have a typical "get to exit" objective that is not working. I set one up in a testmap, and it didn't work either. After a lot of messing around, I tried making the info_location entity really large, and then it worked in the testmap. Happily, I made the one in my real map large and figured that would solve the problem. It didn't.

The only difference I can see between my map and the testmap is that I added two enabling objectives. But I had both those objectives checked off before trying to exit.

Anyone else ever had problems with these things?

•  
  • Yes. Just about everyone of us has had problems with all objectives types especially escape. :)
  • Test by removing the enabling objectives to ensure it works without.
  • You have to use AND and OR rather than say &&, eg, 1 AND 2 AND 3 AND 4 AND (5 OR 6 OR 7)
  • Sometimes an objective might reverse so you need to check the enabling objectives are still checked even after the exit failed.
  • Possible objective number id errors might be caused by having two or more atdm:target_addobjectives entities.
  • The most common error with the exit objective is using the 'in info location' component rather than the 'in location' component.
  • The info_tdm_objective_location entity uses the spawnarg interval with 1 second as default. This might not be long enough for a small volume if the player can pass through in less. It should be as high as possible for performance but not so high the player might pass through in less.
  • Other possibilities are case sensitive variations eg, idPlayer and EscZone.

For an exit in one of my finished fm I've got

objective settings

description: go here to exit

difficulty: All levels

Initial state: Incomplete

Flags: Mandatory, Visible.

Enabling objectives: n AND ( n OR n )

type: Let the target entity player1 be at location entity level_exit

and the level_exit entity is a info_tdm_objective_location

Edited by stumpy

Other possibilities are case sensitive variations eg, idPlayer and EscZone.

We have a winner! :rolleyes: I used "idplayer" instead of "idPlayer". I'm going to add a nice, big disclaimer to the wiki.

We have a winner! :rolleyes: I used "idplayer" instead of "idPlayer". I'm going to add a nice, big disclaimer to the wiki.

Also, as Fidcal pointed out, there are two options: being within an idLocation, I.e., a portalized zone with a name, just like you use to create zone-based ambient sounds, lighting, EAX, etc. For that you need location separator entities on the visportals, and I believe all you need for objectives is the name of the location. The other option is to be literally within a brush volume. If the objective worked better when making the brush larger, then you are using the second option, not the first where it is based on the location system and portal separators.

• 1 year later...

I have tested my exit system and it does work - i was able to exit correctly through the brush ONCE. By tweaking with the objectives because others werent working, this one is getting skipped by the previous mandatory objective, a get item which is supposed to enable the exit one and also make it visible. When i get the item, the mission is completed. The only difference i can see from other examples is that the exit objective is not visible, and the get item targets a set visibility entity when completed in order to make the exit one show up. Been days of this, finally all others are working, except this is happening.

As I understand this right, you want to collect an entity that is the condition for the mission to be completable via entering a brush (?) You need to set the "collect the item" as requirement in your "get to the exit" task. You can also set more requirements separated by AND or OR.

Hurry up man! :)

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

I do have the get object as a condition for the exit one. It still ends the mission as soon as I frob it. I'll try to make it "optional" (not mandatory) but still a condition for the exit one, or the player might leave prematurely if he goes in that direction...

No, if it's mandatory then leave it as mandatory.

Make sure you've not got it flagged Irreversible either at the top of the objective or against the component lower. If it's marked irreversible then when you first pass through it will be flagged and stay flagged so when you get the object it is now complete. If instead you leave Irreversible UNflagged then when you enter it it gets flagged but when you continue into the mansion/castle whatever then it UNflags itself again which is correct. Then when you get the object the escape objective is enabled. THEN when you exit back into the brush it finally completes and you get Mission Complete.

If none of the above applies to you then test with it visible. Does it still fail? At what stage does it complete?

Wow, I did it somehow! Yes, maybe the triggering of the visibility entity was doing something to the exit obj, now that it is visible, I can finally have it working correctly! I also put the path corners of a certain AI well away from the exit brush, just in case it wont flag it like you said (though it shouldnt, only idPlayer). Now only small things to take care of, and Im done... Thanks a lot.