The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Mandrasola by Sotha (2011/04/10)

Sotha

Please grade this mission  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Seasonal Theme

• No Season
    • Barely Defined
    • Season is Clear
    • Season is Captured Well
    • Near Perfect
  2. 2. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag?

3. 3. Aesthetics: Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style. Audio, use mood. Storytelling and consistency?

Wow what a great map! Just finished playing on Expert, got 100% loot also.

The warewolves freaked me right out and what's the story of the Pagan in the basement with the glowing red eyes? I knocked him out then put an arrow through his skull.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

I loved it! Great Job! I love the new additions! biggrin.gif

I only missed a small handful of loot, so I'll go back in and poke around a little.

I had to dmap it, as I need to do with almost every FM, this time due to an AAS48 error. I hope someday to find out why I need to dmap nearly every FM ever released due to AAS errors.

One arrow to the back of the head took care of the non-transformed werewolf/pagan dude. The other werewolves were a bit more of a challenge. Fortunately I had 1 fire arrow to weaken one and the other became a pincushion until I could get in close and hack him down... he nearly did me in. I had already used the gas arrow on the four thugs inside the basement while they were checking out my noisemaker ;)

Edited by PranQster

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

Can anyone tell me how to get back out of the cellar area ? The entrance has sealed up behind me since going in. I'm probably being stoopid, but I'd really appreciate a pointer here.

BTW a visual/auditory treat, this mission, isn't it?

Can anyone tell me how to get back out of the cellar area ? The entrance has sealed up behind me since going in. I'm probably being stoopid, but I'd really appreciate a pointer here.

BTW a visual/auditory treat, this mission, isn't it?

There is a lever next to the hidden door, on the left side; on the wall; about waist high..

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Sotha, is this the correct behavior of the gem at start?

The guard can see me from there and the gem doesn't turn off when he walks below me.

Video: http://www3.zippysha...87131/file.html

Playing FM @hard

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

That is definitely not normal. Is this happening in any other FM'S? Something is interfering with your lightgem somewhere. Do you have any stray mods installed? Have you tried deleting the mission and downloading a fresh copy from the mission downloader?

Also, I don't know if this is just the video making the level look dark...but could you open the D3 console ctrl alt ~ and check to make sure image_usenormalcompression is 2, image_usecompression is 1, and image_useallformats is 1.

That is definitely not normal. Is this happening in any other FM'S? Something is interfering with your lightgem somewhere. Do you have any stray mods installed? Have you tried deleting the mission and downloading a fresh copy from the mission downloader?

Also, I don't know if this is just the video making the level look dark...but could you open the D3 console ctrl alt ~ and check to make sure image_usenormalcompression is 2, image_usecompression is 1, and image_useallformats is 1.

*Only in this FM as far as I know!

*Mods: Tels Black Light (maybe is that?!?!?)

*Video made with NEW version of FM, same problem in old one!

From config file:

seta image_usePrecompressedTextures "1"

seta image_useNormalCompression "2"

seta image_useAllFormats "1"

seta image_useCompression "1"

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Update: strange thing! Removed Tels addon, reinstalled the FM, reinstalled the addon and now all seems correct! :|

Edited by lowenz

Found the cause! It's FRAPS 3.4.0 when recording!

Maybe it's interfering with the framebuffer?

Must find another video recorder now, sigh!

Edited by lowenz

Really awesome Sotha, congratulation, as usual a brillant mission!

I like the mood and story, and also the final with surprise

It reminded me "Clap for the Wolfman!" http://youtu.be/BIr4To3EzK8 :-) (BTW I don't know if you like "The Guess Who", i really do, a *lot*)

, its' so cool!

Thanks for sharing another creation! ;-)

Update: strange thing! Removed Tels addon, reinstalled the FM, reinstalled the addon and now all seems correct! :|

It is unlikely that the add-on has anything to do with this (it contains no config file nor any LG modifications), maybe there was a stray setting about the LG in your config file?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Sotha :rolleyes: for another wonderful mission . I rushed through it a bit , therefore probably not soaking up all the atmosphere , but will certainly play it again , albeit more slowly ! Pretty well max points from me. Loved the

werewolves too towards the end of the mission. I chopped one with my sword and it then limped around with a bloody leg for a while before I finished it with an arrow. Getting out from the cave got me for a few minutes until I looked up and saw the torch and was able to fire a rope arrow up. Thank goodness I hadn't put out the torch before descending !

This was a really nice "break" after the Glentham Tower mission - and I'm glad that we might see more Thomas Porter prequel missions / non-story ones within his universe.

Pretty much top marks from me - the first snowy mission I've played and I particularly enjoyed the

frozen lakes / canals / boats stuck in the ice.

I also LOVE attempts to expand the Mythos of the Dark Mod universe overall. By introducing a drug / opiate like this it kind of sets my brain churning over thinking about similar things - for example, rare or magical spices which could be the theme for a bit of warehouse thieving.

The pacing was wonderful - I expected to find some spiders down in the basement - having to fend off those damn werebeasts and an actual spellcaster was terrifying! This is also one of the few missions to my knowledge which seems to have a spellcaster and a real sense of pagan weirdness and for that I congratulate you.

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling