The Dark Mod Forums

TDM 1.05 new install crashes

shadowcrawler

I updated to 1.05 from 1.04 and afterward I could not get missions to load properly, even training. I removed everything, downloaded/installed 1.05 from scratch. I had no missions installed, installed the training, then while the training was loading, I had an error regarding my video card driver.

I have intergated Intel 82945G Express chipset family gpu, Vista home sp2 running.

Doom 3 is from Steam, and it runs fine, even the resurrection of evil addon pack.

I have the most recent video drivers for this Intel chipset installed via HP update. Not sure what tweaking I can do to my TDM configuration to work well with the video chipset. I was fine on earlier versions of this TDM.

This problem happened on TDM fms also. During the loading screen "please wait" screen all seems fine, then I hear the sounds of the torches in the background, the screen changes to black, then Windows tells me the video driver had an issue and had to recover.

From event viewer:

Faulting application Doom3.exe, version 1.0.0.1, time stamp 0x45ad459a, faulting module ig4dev32.dll, version 7.14.10.1461, time stamp 0x47e9296a, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x0002e4cb, process id 0x169c, application start time 0x01cbfc51e27d9fe4.

Can anyone shed some light?

Please verify that these texture compression settings are correct in your DoomConfig.cfg

seta image_usePrecompressedTextures "1" 

seta image_useNormalCompression "2" 

seta image_useAllFormats "1" 

seta image_useCompression "1" 

seta image_preload "1"

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I have intergated Intel 82945G Express chipset family gpu, Vista home sp2 running.

If you're unable to fix the problem with the settings mentioned above, it's likely that your integrated graphics is having trouble dealing with the size of the TDM textures, since many of them are uncompressed. You can try allocating more memory to the gpu in your bios, however I have a feeling that TDM will run exceedingly slowly in either case. You can also try enabling texture downsizing (come back if the first two ideas didn't work and I'll give you the settings).

At the end of the day, it's an Intel IGP and there's only so much you can expect from it.

Seems odd that the trouble would start immediately after updating from 1.04 to 1.05 though. If the Mod worked before, it should work after the update.

Serp's Wild Theory Corner: There was someone else with a similar problem after updating, I think something might have set the compression cvars to their 'correct' values, if people had been compressing normals before(because for some or other reason doom3 decided to set that or perhaps the default is to not have a cvar set and evaluate at runtime? you never know :)), the update might disable that by default and cause unexpected trouble - it's the reason I wasn't keen on putting the options in.

Anyway, that's my guess - hopefully by setting those cvars mentioned above he'll get things working again and we'll have more of a clue.

- it's the reason I wasn't keen on putting the options in.

Those video options never made it into any release, and there's no place in the SDK to change their default settings, so it's odd that they're changing themselves since we haven't changed anything, and we don't update the users doomconfig

Those video options never made it into any release, and there's no place in the SDK to change their default settings, so it's odd that they're changing themselves since we haven't changed anything, and we don't update the users doomconfig

Hence the "Serp's Wild Theory Corner" :ph34r:

But that does make the mystery so much more.... iiam.png

If you're unable to fix the problem with the settings mentioned above, it's likely that your integrated graphics is having trouble dealing with the size of the TDM textures, since many of them are uncompressed. You can try allocating more memory to the gpu in your bios, however I have a feeling that TDM will run exceedingly slowly in either case. You can also try enabling texture downsizing (come back if the first two ideas didn't work and I'll give you the settings).

At the end of the day, it's an Intel IGP and there's only so much you can expect from it.

Ok, tried the settings given for the compression, launched steam/doom3, no change. BIOS settings for gpu are only memory allocated, 1mb or 8mb, already on 8mb.

I have the game resolution down to 4:3 and 640 x 480 to see if the lowest options would help, they did not. it is set also for fullscreen.

Any way to run this game in a "safe mode" setup as some games allow?

What else can I try?

I have MS app compatibility toolkit 5.6 installed, it has entries for doom3, doom 3 v. 1.0 and doom 3 v. 1.3, any ideas if anything in here could be tried?

I am curious as to why this worked for me before and stopped, i am certain I tried tdm before with no issues with the Doom3 addon installed.

could the existence of different versions of gamex86.dll in doom and tdm folders have anything to do with this?

Is there a way to enable more detailed logging so when it crashes I can find a log and post it here and perhaps that will shed more light?

thank you

delete the file tdm_game02.pk4 and start the updater again to redownload it.

That shouldn't affect running on Windows though, tdm_game02.pk4 is for Linux, shadowcrawler is running Windows.

Shadowcrawler, if you start up Doom 3 and bring down the console...what version of doom 3 does it say? It should be 1.3.1 1304

Since ROE is just a bunch of override pk4's couldn't you move them to sub-directory of the Doom 3 install and have the game treat them like a mod?

That might resolve ROE compatibility issues folks have with TDM and other Doom 3 mods :unsure:

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Since ROE is just a bunch of override pk4's couldn't you move them to sub-directory of the Doom 3 install and have the game treat them like a mod?

That might resolve ROE compatibility issues folks have with TDM and other Doom 3 mods :unsure:

the resurrection of evil files are in their own folder under doom 3, \d3xp, and has its own copy of the doomconfig.cfg file, and gamex86.dll.

So my thought is that ROE is already isloated and perhaps not a factor here.

could different versions of gamex86.dll be an issue between doom3 and darkmod?

Very odd that it worked, then I come back another day and all of it crashes, even training. Do recall putting some MS patches on the unit within the last few weeks as they came out. That is about it, other than upgrading to 1.05, then removing and redoing 1.05 from scratch to troubleshoot.

RoE on some setups just causes problems - I have no idea why.

You can try searching and deleting all gamex86.dll's from doom3 subdirectories, when you run TDM/doom3 it will then extract the relevant one. Some other mods may not like that, but we'll not care too much about that :)