The Dark Mod Forums

A Taffer in the machine?

The Village Idiot

Hi there,

Can't express how excited I am about The Dark Mod...it looks truly outstanding!

I was hoping I could some advice on what I might be doing wrong

whilst the training mission was loading, the game crashed and this popped up:

image1sib.png

I have attached copied full error message to this post Full Error Message.txt

I have Radeon x1300/x1500 Series , DirectX 9.0c, 2048mb RAM, Windows XP Professional running. 1.05

Installed The Dark Mod 1.05 over Doom 3 patch 1.3.1.1304.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post, any advice would be appreciated

P.S. apologies if I have posted this in the wrong part of the forum or that this problem has already been reported elsewhere in this forum, I did try to look for a solution before posting

The Village Idiot

Edited by The Village Idiot

Have you disabled Catalyst AI?

Do you have ROE installed?

Are there any other mods in your Doom 3\base folder?

Re-run your TDM Updater then

verify that these settings are correct in your DoomConfig.cfg

seta image_usePrecompressedTextures "1" 

seta image_useNormalCompression "2" 

seta image_useAllFormats "1" 

seta image_useCompression "1" 

seta image_preload "1"

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Hey nbohr1more,

thanks for taking the time to reply

Have you disabled Catalyst AI?

Catalyst is installed (standard), just checked it again and and am right(I'm such a noob at this ) in thinking that provided that the box that says is disable Catalyst AI is unchecked then Catalyst AI is enabled?

Do you have ROE installed?

nbohr1more, is this in regard to The Ressurrection of Evil - Patch? if it is I can't find any evidence to suggest this patch has been installed anywhere in my Doom folders, to be honest I wouldn't even know where to go to download that patch, I've never played Doom 3, I purely brought the game to be able to play The Dark Mod.

Are there any other mods in your Doom 3\base folder?

Aside from maps folder (Mars City1), and a number of pk4, cfg and spec files nothing else hiding in that folder

Re-run your TDM Updater then

I deleted the file tdm_game02.pk4 and started the updater again in order to redownload it after reading forum member i30817's suggestion in TDM 1.05 new install crashes thread but I will try running the updater again.

verify that these settings are correct in your DoomConfig.cfg

All these codes and settings are correct in the DoomConfig.cfg

seta image_usePrecompressedTextures "1" 

seta image_useNormalCompression "2" 

seta image_useAllFormats "1" 

seta image_useCompression "1" 

seta image_preload "1"

Thanks again,

The Village Idiot

You want to check the box that says "Disable Catalyst AI". Catalyst AI is known to be a problem for The Dark Mod.

Also, please verify whether Doom 3 itself starts properly. (If not post the error as well).

Okay I checked the box that says "Disable Catalyst AI" and Doom 3 loads and plays without any problems

The TDM menu screen loads fine but as soon after I start a mission whilst loading the game still crashes....Really frustrated every time TDM menu loads just looking at it you can see the the time and love put into this project I get all excited can't wait to play its looks so so good.

:(

The Village Idiot

Try another mission. Of course it makes sense to do training mission first, I'm just curious if another will load.

(Sometimes one fails to load on certain machines.)

If another loads, then open the console and type

dmap nameofmission.map

(to compile, then run)

map nameofsamemission.map

for the training map, it might need compiled on your machine. I had to do this with 'heart' even though nobody else had a problem and I tried DLing it several times.

(can be found in the Pk4 (zip file)/maps folder)

--------

I'm also wondering about that pillar tex, that looks like it might be causing an issue. I thought the training mission did have a pillar that was causing crashes, but that was about a year ago and should be fixed.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

The LoadTGA error is a bit strange, as I double-checked the TGA in question and it is indeed an RGB 8 Bit TGA, no alpha (the pillar_rippled one). I also checked the other image mentioned and it is fine as well. To me this sounds like an erroneous message, I somehow suspect that your drivers might refuse the graphics data D3 is trying to feed into it. Maybe checking your drivers or upgrading them might help?

Hey there "The Village Idiot"

Could you try re-running the installer - I think the most likely thing is that some of the files have been corrupted somewhere during the download process; it should check and fetch any relevant ones. Report back if it does/doesnt.

The drivers dont come into play if those errors show up, they're the initial header check, done far before the raster is pushed to vmem. I've taken a quick look at them in hex and they seem fine, ironically all I can find wrong is the error message - The types are just telling of how the data is stored and if the channels exist, RGB/RGBA can be code 2 or 10 depending on how its stored(colourmap(i.e index)/channel mapping) :)

there seems to be a sound problem, loaded the map

mine goes

==== Processing events ====

Objective 1: Parsing success and failure logic

[aas32]: Assigned 0 multistatemover positions to AAS areas and ignored 0.

--------------------------------------

SpawnPlayer: 0

removed 16 degenerate triangles

while the one that wont load goes

==== Processing events ====

Objective 1: Parsing success and failure logic

[aas32]: Assigned 0 multistatemover positions to AAS areas and ignored 0.

--------------------------------------

SpawnPlayer: 0

WARNING: Couldn't load sound 'sound/sfx/movement/footsteps/player/metal_walk01.ogg' using default

WARNING: Couldn't load sound 'sound/sfx/movement/footsteps/player/metal_walk02.ogg' using default

WARNING: Couldn't load sound 'sound/sfx/movement/footsteps/player/metal_walk03.ogg' using default

WARNING: Couldn't load sound 'sound/sfx/movement/footsteps/player/metal_walk04.ogg' using default

etc loads of footsteps sounds missing

WARNING: Couldn't load sound 'sound/sfx/movement/footsteps/player/metal_jump_land03.ogg' using default

WARNING: Couldn't load sound 'sound/sfx/movement/footsteps/player/metal_jump_land04.ogg' using default

then doesn't do a

----- idImageManager::EndLevelLoad -----

0 purged from previous

272 kept from previous

929 new loaded

all images loaded in 48.3 seconds

nor does it do a

----- idSoundCache::EndLevelLoad -----

100045k referenced

6506k purged

----------------------------------------

sound: missing efxs/training_mission.efx

-----------------------------------

77358 msec to load training_mission

idRenderWorld::GenerateAllInteractions, msec = 23, staticAllocCount = 0.

interactionTable size: 2376216 bytes

51742 interaction take 5795104 bytes

what it does do is

----- idImageManager::EndLevelLoad -----

--------- Game Map Shutdown ----------

followed by load of aas errors

Hi all,

Decided to do a clean install of Doom3, the required Doom3 patch and The Dark Mod and.......Result! Working! can't express how excited I was when the training mission successfully loaded, sitting there in front of the monitor bouncing up and down on my stool clapping Yes! Yes! Yes!, Now I know getting that excited over a game might give the impression that I live somewhat sad existence and that maybe I should try to get out more and find a young lady friend or something but I do already have a lady friend...honest I do! It's just the Thief series is a guilty pleasure of mine, I'm no hardcore gamer but Thief games I never got bored with a now with The Dark Mod the cogs and gears of Garrett's universe have moved on to a new chapter...Hurrah!

I just want to give all of you who replied and left me advice my thanks and appreciation. I would like to also take this opportunity to say a big thank-you to the team who developed The Dark Mod and of course all those mission creators too for making such awesome game conversion, I've had people over to take a butchers at The Dark Mod and they have all been overwhelmed by the quality and the attention to detail in the game which directly refects the hard work and effort you have all put into it. Thank-you

The Village Idiot

Thanks for the update!

I'm glad you've got it working and hope to see you participating in the vote for the Seasons Contest 2011.

See ya 'round the forums!

^_^