The Dark Mod Forums

Joint hips error back again

pagan

Welcome all,

I've just discovered dark mod few days ago, downloaded it with all the excitement you can imagine, followed all the instructions, the game started, it is beautifully made, wonderful design, menu music, great similarity to thief, it's really a modern thief, i'm so totally impressed with my old dream of technically modern thief coming true that I start mission immediately and...

I've got 100% exactly the same behaviour like described here in bugtracker http://bugs.angua.at/view.php?id=2552. The only thread I found considering this topic is http://modetwo.net/d...%20hips__st__25 but this topic seems to be little fuzzy, and does not provide final solution. I've tried to remove gamex86.dlls with no satisfying result. I'm aware that the bug is 'fixed' in TDM 1.04 version but whatever the fix was it seems it was not complete.

I've got

win7 ultimate x64, Core 2 Duo 2.66Ghz, 2GB DDR2 800MHz, 8800GT, Creative X-Fi OEM

Doom3 patched to 1.3.1.1304 (ctrl+shift+~ shows the version), darkmod in C:\Program Files (x86)\Doom 3\darkmod folder, updated to TDM 1.05 through tdmupdater downloaded from darkmod site and all missions downloaded from there in FMs directory and I'm starting it with tdmlauncher. I've managed to start one mission, but I don't remember its name now, it puts you in the prison cell with skeleton patrolling it. Any other missions including StLucia, Lone Heart and Alchemist fail the 100% same way as described in the bug 2552.

After lots of searching no solution found for me - when I found that you consider this problem solved, I've lost hope to find help by myself and realized that I need to inform someone that this bug is still alive.

Anyway THANK YOU for bringing DarkMod to us. Awaiting any possible support.

Edited by pagan

Hm, the only possibility I can think of is that you have:

* either one outdated FM (could you please try more FMs and report which ones work and which do not?)

* some otudated PK4 files in the mod directory (AFAIK the updater does not clean up any old files unless it knows their name),this shouldn't happen but who knows :)

Could you send/post please a complete listing of the darkmod directory?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Hm, the only possibility I can think of is that you have:

* either one outdated FM (could you please try more FMs and report which ones work and which do not?)

* some otudated PK4 files in the mod directory (AFAIK the updater does not clean up any old files unless it knows their name),this shouldn't happen but who knows :)

Could you send/post please a complete listing of the darkmod directory?

I haven't got any old files, because it's my first encounter with DarkMod and I've launched tdmupdater in clean darkmod folder.

I will post the listing today evening and maybe do a list of working/not working missions.

Edited by pagan

This error is a bit of a catch-all that can mean a missing animation file, or an incorrect model definition.

The only reason you should get this on a release build is if one of your pk4s was corrupted or did not finish downloading. The original poster fixed his problem by redownloading the mod.

Here are more details as I promised:

I've updated darkmod, some little files were downloaded, but I supposed only CRC files, next I started my tests.

The failure message always is:

Joint 'HIPS' not found for attachment position 'HIPS_SHEATH_L' for entity 'XXX' - where XXX is always some different name of some entity in the map definition.

There are two kinds of behaviours:

A ) - mission falls off to the difficulty/objectives screen without any message, there is no difficulty choosed, and objectives sheet is empty, you can choose difficulty again and click start mission again, loading starts again, falls of again to the same screen but message box with error description is shown. You can choose start mission again and again and every time the message box with same description will be shown. So the message is not shown only first time. This kind of behaviour is in the missions when animated description of plot is shown before objectives screen like alchemist or beleaguered fence. Additionally - I can't tell if it is normal or no - I can't skip the animation - when I press escape DarkMod's main menu is shown and next escapes do not take me back to the animation - I need to start mission again.

B ) - mission falls off to objectives screen or rarely (once or twice) to menu, messagebox behaves like before, but sound is disabled. I can start mission over and over again with same effect - joint hips error and no sound. From my experience this happens when missions have plot displayed the same way as the objectives - on the sheet of yellow crumpled paper. After restarting DarkMod sound is OK.

There are deviations from both A and B behaviours sometimes described below. It also seems that optional presence of buy screen (some missions have it, others do not) does not influence the behaviour. Often next tries of loading once installed mission make the progress bar go slightly further but it's only true for first 1-3 attempts. Then mission loads or always fails at the same level of progress bar.

Here is the mission list with additional details if some occur:

01) alchemist - no, behaviour A plus after escaping the animation cursor is not visible but I can move the mouse and highlight menu positions if I'm lucky and click them then or cursor is not visible and I cannot find any position like cursor is not moving virtually anymore, but this happens only after load failure. When I escape plot animation before first failure occurs cursor works fine. Entity name is Pertti.

02) awaiting the storm - no, behaviour B

03) beleaguered fence - no, behaviour A

04) betrayal - (this is the mission with prison and skeleton) - yes, but behaviour A :) - how this is possible? Mission loads successfully after second, third or rarely fourth time - never first. Previous behaviour is the A-kind, messagebox is not shown only the first time. Saving works. Loading the save works always the second time, first time messagebox is not shown as always.

05) builder's influence - this is interesting. First try - behaviour B, although there is animated intro in that mission. Second time - full success and sound comes back after loading when 3d mode is on (when plot animates and objectives/buy screens are displayed there is no sound). I can switch to menu and back and sound is fine everywhere. Mission looks beautiful, mmmm!!!! Saving and loading works great, no need for additional attempts when loading the save. Another try - escaping animation of plot and again I can't go back to it - I need to start mission again. I do it waiting whole animation to end every time and mission loads after second attempt as before.

06) business as usual - no, behaviour B, tried about 10 times because second time was interesting - game loaded completely, 'game loaded - please wait' label was displayed, few seconds of waiting like in every missions that reached this point and instead of mission I got objectives screen with hips error message. This never happened again.

07) caduceus of st. alban (mission with beautiful lamp with planets around the bulb:)) - exactly like builder's influence, but this mission has no animated plot - I come the reasonable idea that existance of plot animation in the mission has really nothing to do here (unlike I thought before). OK, let's go to next mission.

08) chalice of kings - like 5 and 7

09) crown of penitence - like 5

10) entertainment - like 5

11) flakebridge monastery - like 7

12) glenham tower - like 7

13) heart of lone salvation - mission has animated plot intro and is unusual - first attempt fails to objective screen as always after displaying the plot during loading, every next attempt of starting the mission by clicking 'start mission' button on objectives screen loading finishes and game escapes to objectives screen with joint hips error on entity 'andrew' - I remembered the easy name. Also interesting - in every next attempt since second I do not need to watch animated intro, I've got objectives screen instantly. Of course when I go to main menu and start mission I need to watch intro again - but only first time. Also next - when game fails to objectives screen names of difficulty levels are corrupted - they look like constants in the code or some configuration file, not like content of this constants. Something tells me this might be good mission for testing.... Finally I press escape and instead of displaying DarkMod menu I got intro again. I press escape again and have menu with no cursor. I use ctrl-alt-delete and first time I have no cursor in windows also - to be more specific windows task menager is not over the desktop but over darkmod screen and I suppose this is the cause for which cursor is still not available. I need to use keyboard shortcuts to kill darkmod in task manager.

14) illusionist tower - like 7

15) kinghton manor - no animated intro in this mission, this mission has plot displayed with interactive buttons to display next, previous screens of plot or skip it. Behaviour B. Entity name is 'Female_servatnt1'. No other bugs like in mission 13 so try looking into 'Female_servant1' definition and testing on this mission.

16) living expenses - behaviour B, entity is complex but contains word 'nobleman'

17) lockdown part 1 - started on the first attempt and starts every time easily!!!!!!! But there is other little problem, it has empty plot screen, but you can click next and difficulty screen and all after it is OK

18) mad's mountain - first attempt fails without messagebox, no sound then. Every next attempt causes message box but for the first time error is different but error message might be very usefull because it defines C++ class and method that failed:

idAFEntity_BASE::LoadAF: Couldn't load at file 'GUARD_BASE_NEWSKEL' on entity 'ADTM_ENV_RAGDOLL_BEGGAR_1'

19) mandrasola - like 15, of course different entity name

20) NHAT mission 1/3 - First after restarting DarkMod after installing mission the great thing is changed main menu theme. Second is the movie, wow! but sometimes pixels in this movie are corrupted. Next the animated intro, difficulty screen, I click start mission and after 1/4 of progress bar it returns to difficulty screen. I click start mission again, loading starts from the point it ended (!) and mission works great starting from another animation and then I can play(save/load too). I can only suppose next two missions work the same way but to check this must finish first mission.

21) outpost - first time failure without message box, second time loads successfully. This is example of mission that fails to main menu, so you need to start it over, watch the animated intro again and again as many times as it fails. Despite of starting mission over loading starts from when it ended before - that is odd.

22) pandoras'box - behaviour B except two things: fails to main menu after first attempt (luckily no animated intro is here, so second attempt is fast) and voila - second attempt is successfull. It seems that disabled sound after first attempt is a good sign.

23) parcel - don't praise the day before the evening - disabled sound after first attempt, going back to main menu, then always joint hips error on entity 'jack'.

24) patently dangerous - like 23, entity 'Oswald'.

25) return to the city - like 15 and 19 (the same interactive plot screen) except that at second attempt everything works fine

26) rift - first attempt failure with no message, second attempt joint hips error on something like 'ADTM_something_GUARD_1'. I've seen this entity before in other mission with joint hips error so it's worth mentioning, but I can't remember which mission that was. Also it's worth to notice that instead of loading screen there is standard DarkMod theme with clock displayed - the same like when the DarkMod starts. This maybe some problem indicator or also it may be this way in this mission.

27) somewhere above the city 1.1 - very long intro but fortunately on first attempt mission fails to objective screen and second attempt is successfull

28) sons of baltona part 1 - no intro, first attempt fails, no sound, second attempt successfull from where loading finished on first attempt

29) sound alert and blackjack trainer - no objectives (funny :) and loading screen is theme with clock as in 26 (so I suppose this is the way it should be). First attempt fails to objectives screen, second attempt join hips error.

30) special delivery - first attempt fails to main menu, no sound, second attempt successfull

31) st. albans cathedral - first attempt fails to objectives menu, every next gives message box with join hips error on entity ADTM_AI_CITYWATCH_1

32) swing (mission with swinging something) - first attempt, full success

33) tears of st. lucia - first attempt fails to main menu, I haven't tried second because of very long intro, but as I remember from yesterday it's joint hips error

34) thieve's den - first attempt fails to objectives screen, no sound, no objectives displayed, you need to choose difficulty again and start mission again and got joint hips error on ADTM_AI_CITYWATCH_1 entity at every next attempt

35) thieves - first attemt fails to main menu, intro must be watched again when starting over and there it is: joint hips error on ADTM_AI_CITYWATCH_1 entity, probably st.lucia has the same entity as I remember

36) too late - first attempt fails to main menu, starting over (no intro) brings success

37) training mission - surprise, first attempt fails to objectives screen, no sound, second attempt successfull. Identical mission before was in french language, I don't remember which one

38) transaction - first attempt brings you to main menu, no sound, starting over returns message box with joint hips error on entity CITY_WATCH_STREET_PATROL_ALPHA

39) trapped - first attempt brings you to main menu, no sound, starting over successfull

Don't you think that if so many missions fail because of joint 'hips' error than it isn't rather a problem with missions themselves but a common problem inside the engine?

Responding to some other advise I'll try downloading all content tomorrow, now I must go asleep.

I'm attaching list of files in "C:\Program Files (x86)\DOOM 3" directory - I haven't found any suitable tool for this task so I wrote one myself - I hope output is easily readable. I've attached my tool so you can generate your own result and compare them in kdiff3 or some other editor with compare option.

You use it by entering the desired diretory in command line and call java -jar C:\dirscan.jar [--md5]. Parameter is optional. Ofcourse dirscan.jar in this example is placed in C:\. dirscan.jar will fail if scans the directory where is placed but I have no time to fix it now. Output is properly idented on linux, I can't now find reason why indent is not correct on windows, but should be readable.

I hope my hard work will pay off and serve you well - I worked almost 6 hours on it instead of helping my girlfried tidying up our apartment but she understood so don't worry ;P.

Farewell taffers.

mission-failure-list.txt

doom3_content_210411_232309.txt

darkmod_content_210411_232828.txt

Edited by pagan

One problem,

You need to move all the NHAT pk4's to their own directories. (or move them delete the NHAT directory, then past them individually into the FMS directory).

Two:

What mission is "Entertainment" ( "entrainement.pk4" ) I have never seen this in the listings...

Link please? :)

(This may also contain some problem overrides (etc...))

~~~~~

Edit:

Ah hah! That is an alt for Training Mission (which you already have installed) so that may be an older version that has old content (etc)...

Remove entrainement. and along with fixing your NHAT install then update the thread with further symptoms \ errors if these problems persist... :)

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

32) swing (mission with swinging something) - first attempt, full success

The fact that this missions works without problems, and it is the only mission without any AI in it, adds to my suspicion that one of your animation or AI def files is missing or corrupt. Though I have no idea why that would cause problems with briefings.

One problem,

You need to move all the NHAT pk4's to their own directories. (or move them delete the NHAT directory, then past them individually into the FMS directory).

Two:

What mission is "Entertainment" ( "entrainement.pk4" ) I have never seen this in the listings...

Link please? :)

(This may also contain some problem overrides (etc...))

~~~~~

Edit:

Ah hah! That is an alt for Training Mission (which you already have installed) so that may be an older version that has old content (etc)...

Remove entrainement. and along with fixing your NHAT install then update the thread with further symptoms \ errors if these problems persist... :)

Yes this is the training mission in french. I will delete it, I wanted to do that, when I discovered the training mission is copy of some other mission I've seen, but I couldn't remember which one was that. Now it's obvious. I'll update the thread with NHAT missions details today.

The fact that this missions works without problems, and it is the only mission without any AI in it, adds to my suspicion that one of your animation or AI def files is missing or corrupt. Though I have no idea why that would cause problems with briefings.

good point.

PS: 'briefing' - that's the word I have been missing all yesterday evening and been using 'plot' instead:)

Here is updated info for NHAT missions:

20a) NHAT mission 1/3 - First after restarting DarkMod after installing mission the great thing is changed main menu theme. Second is the movie, wow! but sometimes pixels in this movie are corrupted. Next the animated intro, difficulty screen, I click start mission and after 1/4 of progress bar it returns to difficulty screen. I click start mission again, loading starts from the point it ended (!) and mission works great starting from another animation and then I can play(save/load too).

20b) NHAT mission 2/3 - first attempt escapes to objectives screen (with no content, I need to choose difficulty again) after 1/3 of progress bar, next attempts start from this progress and give joint hips error after 80% on entity ADTM_AI_CITYWATCH_1 (no sound since message box with error).

20c) NHAT mission 3/3 - like 20b, entity 'GUARD_1'.

I don't think it's important but I played not in native resolution of my monitor (1400x1050) because it is not supported. I tried 1024x768 and 1280x1024. I suppose I can ask for supporting 1400x1050 resolution? :)

That would be all for now - i'll try downloading darkmod again.

St. Lucia works also. I assume problem is recognized and won't check all misions over again.

It's unclear to me why EAX problem casues error with 3d models, although it makes sense when recalling disabled sound after joint hips error. Though this is only the wrong message and problem still exists and reads: I shouldn't be able to turn on EAX 4.0 if my hardware does not support it, or at least the error message should be clear enouth to tell me to disable EAX support and this is the thing to be fixed.

I've got Sound Blaster X-Fi mX Xtreme Audio OEM PCI sound card.

I found clear information that PCI-E version supports EAX 4.0, but wherever I look I can't find such info on PCI version, only that it supports EAX (no following EAX version number). Conclusion is that my card probably does not support EAX 4.0.

Thanks for any given help. I hope this experience will make future version of DarkMod even better than it is now.

I have a soundblaster xfi xtreme also. Not OEM. I don't recal ever having those issues though I never like the echo sounds of EAX anyway so it might've been turned off.

I was having weird issues where I had to have the X-Fi control panel set to a very specific volume in order for in game audio adjustment.

But I uninstalled the drivers last time i was trying Linux and haven't reinstalled it.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

I have a soundblaster xfi xtreme also. Not OEM. I don't recal ever having those issues though I never like the echo sounds of EAX anyway so it might've been turned off.

I was having weird issues where I had to have the X-Fi control panel set to a very specific volume in order for in game audio adjustment.

But I uninstalled the drivers last time i was trying Linux and haven't reinstalled it.

I checked this also: when EAX is enabled in DarkMod then the problem occurs no matter if I have EAX disabled or enabled in sound card's driver settings. It's strange that engine acts the same way like it does not recognize if EAX is enabled, disabled or maybe even present in the system.

I've found another smaller problem.

In caduceus of st.alban there is this guard, a key holder, guarding a keys to different places on the map. Near his place game occasionally happens to freeze (rendering and controls - only nearby sounds like ambient and fire burning are still playing). If guard is not suspicious or discovers my presence instantly nothing happens, but in 50% cases when he spots something but he's not sure what he has seen screen freezes and stops responding.

I don't know where to place this kind of stuff, error reports and things like that, so for now I'm writing it here. I'm attaching screenshot of the place, it's in the basements.

post-7735-130393702145_thumb.jpg

In caduceus of st.alban there is this guard, a key holder, guarding a keys to different places on the map. Near his place game occasionally happens to freeze ...

What version of TDM are you using?

Is the guard nearby? Can you see what he's doing when it freezes?

What version of TDM are you using?

Is the guard nearby? Can you see what he's doing when it freezes?

1.05 of course.

Yes I'm near, it's necessary to be near to cause guard being suspicious. Usually he does that kind of script in the loop:

- stands near table for a while

- gets back to the chair

- sits for a while, singing or talking to himself

- stands up and goes to the table

I can see him through the window mouth visible on the screen I attached. When I'm standing nearby the torch he usually spots that "something is there" while sitting, tries to stand up and game freezes. But it is not 100% rule. The rule is: when he starts being suspicious that "something is not right" game freezes after moment - but not always, this happens on over 50% times.

It is difficult place for this kind of error, because it is very difficult to get nearby the guard and blackjack him because he's in that room with window and closed door and the room is small. The smart way would be to distract him, make him suspicious so he leaves the room, then blackjack him but this causes game freezing. Oh yes I know - game does not freeze if he spots me inside the room so I finally creeped into it, but been spotted and needed to blackjack him frontally loosing some health by his hammer - I just took that opportunity when the game didn't hang, but this is not like the art of thievery I prefer and love :)

Edited by pagan