The Dark Mod Forums

Player Tips

Springheel

I'm going to add some random player tips to my loading screen, but I'm running out of good ones. Anyone want to share a one-liner that they think would be very helpful for players to know?

Definitely want to hit all the Darkmod-unique stuff ... object rotating, sliding down ropes, rope swinging, crouching indicator (you can mantle on to stuff crouched), mantle button, combat stuff. Then maybe AI & gameplay insights and little features we have or quirks in how they work ... crouching light bonus, be careful that the AI can see you from quite a ways off, AI can sometimes notice torches out or important loot missing (but probably not average loot) ... stuff like that.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

I don't really want to cover basic gameplay stuff like "crouching makes you harder to see". I was thinking more along the lines of helpful advice that you learn through practice, like shooting water arrows above light sources for better chance of dousing them.

disattach from ladders using the crouch key.

moss arrows break glass quietly.

undead are immune to standard weapons.

you can hear sounds on the other side of a closed door much clearer by leaning into it.

broadhead arrows are retrievable if stuck into foliage, wood, or bodies(x1 only).

warnings about shooting arrows or blackjacking helmeted/armored guards.

physically attacking AI will remove them from flashbomb daze.

mines can be triggered by shooting arrows at them.

AI can sometimes notice if certain doors are open, items missing, or lights turned on/off. be careful!

i'm sure theres 1000 more that could be used, those are just some from the top of my head.

Some of these may be of use...

Not only ladders are climbable. Always check drainpipes, chains, ivy, etc. just in case.

To carry an object up a rope, drop it and get on the rope first then pick it up.

You can climb doors so remember to open them to a good position where needed.

Searching a well lit room leave the door slightly open by blocking it with your body. You can then hear better if somebody is coming.

You can check your compass while reading a map.

If a moveable barrel or large crate is especially difficult to push then try pushing it with a piece of junk or something from your inventory.

Check behind open doors to see if you missed anything.

Enemies can feel you in the dark. Keep your distance.

When descending off a ledge, lean out sideways to shoot a rope arrow back.

I'm going to add some random player tips to my loading screen, but I'm running out of good ones. Anyone want to share a one-liner that they think would be very helpful for players to know?

What a nice idea. So there is a way to show random text in the loading screen.

I instantly thought about a huge, harmless non-spoiler rumor-type database of TDM universe trivia the mappers could download and drop in their mission so that the player would get engulfed by the fluff while waiting the mission to load:

"The Tanner's district waterfront in the city of Bridgeport is a rough neighborhood, where travellers should be careful at night."

"The Flakebridge Monastery was abandoned long ago"

"Captain Godfrey Knighton is a rising star in the Bridgeport city watch."

"Glenham is a small mining town located in the Glenham Moor."

etc..

Would be nice to wrap up some harmless trivia and would give mappers nice opportunities to take elements which they could link their maps to other maps with simple facts.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

What a nice idea. So there is a way to show random text in the loading screen.

Greebo added it some time ago: http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Loading_Screen_Text

I instantly thought about a huge, harmless non-spoiler rumor-type database of TDM universe trivia

Yep, already planned that. :)