The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Fiasco at Fauchard Street by Melan (2011/05/01)

Melan

it was a speed build, so invariably there is only so much time Melan wanted to spend on this.

Well, if this is indeed an oversight: that would be the job of the betatesters to find such glaring problems (wonder if they never played with sound?) and there should be still time to fix such things. No sense in rushing a mission out only to discover spending 1h more on it would have made it a lot better :)

But lets see what Melan says about this :) I am not complaining too much, as I can't even build a single room...

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I already blew my time budget. And yes, it was called to my attention during beta, and I thought I have fixed the issue (I did readjust portals here and there). Apparently not.

Now to add the Bloodgate mirror!

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

@Melan

Just finished a playthrough this afternoon on Easy - I think I must have missed a couple of things as I only just got the right amount of loot!

Overall didn't find any problems - if there were bad portals or wonky textures I didn't notice any myself - it all seemed perfectly solid, beautiful incidental architecture street wise - and the hopping between different locations made me feel like a real thieving magpie! >:-3

Top stuff and an inspiration to snappy mapping!

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

Two little bugs :D

Compenetration problem on mantling here: http://img94.imagesh...hot00001da.jpg/

Map icon: http://img69.imagesh...hot00002br.jpg/

I think I found a "flow" error too:

If I read the Fredo document AFTER found the cache, the relative objective appears but cannot be accomplished.

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Congrats, and thanks Melan, I thoroughly enjoyed this mission! The new (I assume) textures are exquisite. wub.gif

A couple of things I noticed (in case there's ever a v2):

The opal objective gets checked / completed even though you don't actually achieve this objective.

There is an "invalid" objective status, was this not used or is it just not showing the cross instead of a tick?

AI won't follow you up the spiral staircase within Lendermann's house, I guess there's a monster clip problem there.

Edited by Midnight

A couple of things I noticed (in case there's ever a v2):

Knowing myself, it is not likely to happen. I have wanted to update my previous missions before (esp. Bad Debts), but never really done the work. What you see in RttCv2 was largely Biker's project (the areas I built were new, and ended up in another mission which is yet to be completed). IMO it is better to look forward and accept that nothing is perfect.

[edit]I may end up doing some cleanup after the textures used in the mission become part of an official release, though. Later.

Edited by Melan

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Jesps:

There are none, and you do not need them.

[edit]I may end up doing some cleanup after the textures used in the mission become part of an official release, though. Later.

If your up for it we could collaborate on FaFs v2, I have a few locations where I would love to add some nooks and crannies

:laugh:

If your up for it we could collaborate on FaFs v2, I have a few locations where I would love to add some nooks and crannies

Another Melan / Bikerdude collab. would be deeply righteous!

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

Good mission for climbing around. No rope arrows required. I did manage to take some damage from falling twice. Some of the textures seemed new to me (with 62 MB that's gotta be the case, right?). Nice looking factory area. As stated before there was some z-fighting and sound issues but it didn't affect my enjoyment. Specifically I remembered hearing the "street shouting / barking" type sounds getting played too loudly or in inappropriate areas.

I got around 1230 loot. Any ideas to where the remaining ~400 probably is? Ideas or maybe just a lootlist.

The arches near the starting area and other architectural stuff were kind of a new sight. Reminded me a bit of _someone's_ screenshots.

Edited by jaxa

There are none [rope arrows], and you do not need them.

Yes, I see that now.

When I first read the not from the other thief, I misunderstood it. He writes about how he has taken my rope arrows, and then go on to say "Since I am not all bad, here is one for you". I thought he meant he had left a rope arrow for me. blush.gif

I liked the little details that told me there was something amist while I was robbing Lendermann. Especially the open jewelry box. Until I found the letter I thought it was some kind of trap set up by the watch.

The graphics were surprisingly good, considering how quick it was built. Especially the building facades looked very good, and I did not notice any z-fighting.

And as ususal it is nice to have lots of stuff to climb.

The readables did the job, as well as providing some background information.

Nice , but could I have some advice please.

I have :-

AMD PHENOM 8600 TRIPLE CORE 64 BIT

ATI RADEON 4300/4500 SERIES

2 GB RAM

I'm getting freezes and slowdown of play at the beginning of the mission and Doom has frozen a couple of times. I've then had to switch off the computer to resume. No problems with the last two missions I've played , The Transaction and Mandrasola. Anything I can adjust to help it run more smoothly? Thanks.

Have you played Fauchard after a fresh reboot of windows..? normally I would just suggest closing/restarting doom, but having so little ram in your PC isn't helping.

Thanks for the very prompt reply Bikerdude , I will do as you suggest initially. What amount of RAM would you consider optimum for these missions ? As I said Mandrasola and The Transaction ran very smoothly. Something to do with the scale of Melan's missions perhaps? Can i adjust the graphics in any way ? Thanks again for your help.

try to turn off v-sync

Thanks for the advice.Tried but couldn't find a way to do it. Maybe more RAM is required but it seems daft as it's only Melan's missions that don't work for some reason. As I said , other missions work smoothly enough on my system. Sadly may have to dip out on this one.

Edited by raymeld

As much as I'd love to explore further places in this map, if this is going to be a sort of demonstration to new blood how a lot can be achieved in a short amount of time and with 'limited' experience then it's probably best left as is.

NB: Speaking of new blood, when this is added to moddb is it worth also including Melan's accompanying build notes?

Thanks for the advice.Tried but couldn't find a way to do it. Maybe more RAM is required but it seems daft as it's only Melan's missions that don't work for some reason. As I said , other missions work smoothly enough on my system. Sadly may have to dip out on this one.

you can turn off v-sync in graphical options,full name is vertical synchronization,my PC is almost like your and I played Return to the city and Fiasco fine only after turning off v-sync.

PS

in this mission I have Fps drops from 60 to 30 in some places,but its ok

lets wait for doom3 source code,then dark mod system requirements will be lower ( I hope )

Proceed with caution!

Can i adjust the graphics in any way ?

Well, what are your current settings in the advanced section of the video menu? If you haven't already, try setting ambient rendering to 'simple', and the interaction shader to 'normal'. Turn off post processing too.

Thanks for the very prompt reply Bikerdude , I will do as you suggest initially. What amount of RAM would you consider optimum for these missions ? As I said Mandrasola and The Transaction ran very smoothly. Something to do with the scale of Melan's missions perhaps? Can i adjust the graphics in any way ? Thanks again for your help.

I meant in general, 2Gb isn't very much these days for most games. You can turn Vsync off in the video settings in tdm - setting>video> 'Vertical sync' make sure that says 'NO' Also make sure you have Antialiasing set to 'O' and lastly go itno the advanced video settings (settings>video>advanced) and set 'ambient rendering' to 'simple' and 'Interaction shader' to 'default'.