The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Fiasco at Fauchard Street by Melan (2011/05/01)

Melan

Great FM! I enjoyed the looks of it and the constant climbing and all the little secrets to it (Sadly, I must have missed some since I ended up with only 1100 loot).

Anyways, just wanted to congratulate you for such an amazing piece of work and I hope that you'll continue to make FMs for the dark mod for years to come :D.

Haven't gotten far yet but figured I'd leave a few comments.

1-the map has no N(orth) marker. So aligning to compass is tough.

2-metal door with lockplate and no doorknob just sticks out like sore thumb. If you read 'THE' thread you'll see my obvious opinion on that subject, however the wood door across the way WITHOUT a lockplate didn't strike me as as much out of place. So maybe on that subject using a skin without lockplates, if you go the non-handle approach is best. (of course all the lock plate skins have hinges, no lockplates, no hinges... but skins are easy and we have soo many already for the doors I don't know if we need to add those)

-----------------

3-Mod only, took a screenie, which for some reason locks up my computer and requires a restart (thus immersion breaking break to go to forums...) :(

The desk in the printers. Draftesmans table, whatever. Has a gap in the shadow mesh which shows really bad in the lighting in this mission particularily. (but probably almost any mission using it)

---------------------------

So far seems cool though, I was debating even hitting F12 for that screenie, gambled, and lost. :(

I was climbing, fell and died before and not really in reload mood tonight...

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

2-metal door with lockplate and no doorknob just sticks out like sore thumb. If you read 'THE' thread you'll see my obvious opinion on that subject, however the wood door across the way WITHOUT a lockplate didn't strike me as as much out of place. So maybe on that subject using a skin without lockplates, if you go the non-handle approach is best. (of course all the lock plate skins have hinges, no lockplates, no hinges... but skins are easy and we have soo many already for the doors I don't know if we need to add those)

Heh.. And I gave my commendations for Melan on the no-doorknob decision in my betatest runs. Whatever the case, I'll always respect the author's decision on The Big Doorknob Debate. Personal opinions can of course be always mentioned and there will be disagreements: someone likes the mother, someone likes the daughter... :laugh:

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Many thanks to Bikerdude , Shadowhide and New Horizon for all your great help. Using all that information I'm sure I can improve things when I play again later. Just like to say what a friendly forum this is ! thank's for your help , I'm an old gamer , :rolleyes: started first playing Thief in my late fifties so you gan guess how old I am now ! Means I'm not so quick on the uptake as the rest of you sometimes but I get there in the end ! Wonder how many other old 'thieves' there are about ?

someone likes the mother, someone likes the daughter... :laugh:

:D

EDIT: another bug :|

I start the mission @expert difficulty (1000 loot), but in game the loot objective are @hard (800 loot)

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

Completed this just now.

Stealth score 5. 200 loot missing from maximum.

I bit more than I could chew and tried to play this ironman.

Everything went smoothly until

I tried to get the spyglass from the garden window. The jump looked dangerous, so I first fired all my broadheads at the spyglass in attempt to dislodge it and make it fall down so I don't need to make the dangerous jump. This failed, I was able to hit the spyglass a few times, but it didn't get enough kinetic energy to fall down.

Then I tried the jump and... Guess what? WAAAAAH! splat. Restart.

Played the mission through again to the point I was previously and this time saved and jumped. Died twice. But got the spyglass eventually. Phew.

Nice mission. The only thing I didn't like was the strange leakage of sound, which has been mentioned here already. Really strange those AI footsteps were always audible even they were two stories below me. Also I await eagerly the next update which hopefully improves the AI footsteps...

Thanks for the mission!

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

yes, really nice mission.

the loot/difficulty problem is known so i can just tell you that the map icon is completely black for me...

and i also missed 400! loot.

i know a bottle over a bridge of 2 pipes but cant reach the bridge because the statue cant be passed... and i found no other way up.

but then theres still more loot. where did u hide it ;)?

greetz Mc

Thank you Melan. Completed the mission the 'proper' way first by

climbing from the beginning

and finished it in 47 minutes. Then for a bit of fun I also completed the mission mob handed by picking off the guards with arrows and

going in through the front door the hard way and doing it back to front

. So I had double the fun on what was a short mission ! Top marks , very enjoyable.

Wow ! Now that was fun ! As all of your work, Melan, this greatly reminds me of Calendra´s Cistern, b/c of city design. I must admit that i liked it maybe more than RTTC, because never get stuck.

A speedbuild test ? Hmm, seems more polished and well designed than many past small FMs, so i advise you to only make speedbuild from now on :D (just a joke, i know others will appreciate more complex FM better)

I was forced to rise gamma / brightness levels to see a thing, is ambient light level that deep ?

You dont want a poll for this one, but let me throw in my own score:

Gameplay: 4 out of 5 (rather simple, but great fun...like it that way)

Visuals: 5 out of 5 (because i like the architecture)

Story:4 out of 5 (nothing unusual but works well)

Thanks !

Another enjoyable FM Melan. Got all the loot - no easy task I might add and had stealth score of 0.

Liked all the climbing and jumping however no matter how I tried to get over the statue at the beginning I couldn't so just used an arrow to knock the vase down. Also had some difficulty with that second bridge but eventually found the sweet spot to get on it. As mentioned earlier the sound of the footsteps came through loud and clear in a few spots but it just made me be a little more cautious.

Thanks for all your hard work, its much appreciated.:D

• 2 weeks later...

Very good in all departments but leaning towards excellent. Looks great with one or two 'presence' moments. Excellent lighting. This is how to do lighting in fact. Plenty of light and dark contrast; no real flat ambient areas that I recall. Good AI placement and the streets seemed very busy even though probably one might only count two or three in any area if you don't KO them then there is a constant sense of hustle and bustle.. Story good but I didn't feel 100% absorbed in it I don't know why. Perhaps because I knew it was a small FM I was just expecting to play it for a quick break. But actually I logged 90 minutes plus so nearer 2 hours gameplay spread over two sessions. Amazing FM considering how little time it took to make.

I think I played on Easy. Only got half the loot! I'll have a read of this thread now to see what I missed. :)

• 2 weeks later...

That had been some nice taffing ... !

Loved many of the textures, the little twist and the visuals and feel of the garden area.

Also good to see lot of steampunk stuff included. :)

I can confirm the bugs mentioned (wrong loot objective amout, map inventory icon missing, broken sound propagation in the Lendermann house).

Performance hadn't be well on my rig unfortunatly. Though getting good 30-50 fps all way through I experienced lot of micro stutter. Especially with opening doors to the streets or taffing the streets. My PC tend rather at the low end. But strange enough I didn't experienced stutters in any of the other FM I played so far except Fauchard and RttC (v2). In Fauchard even more than in RttC. :mellow:

Thank you Melan for this fun mission and the splendid dev diary read!

"To rush is without doubt the most important enemy of joy" ~ Thieves Saying