The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Fiasco at Fauchard Street by Melan (2011/05/01)

Melan

Wow melan! This mission is fantastic. Although I've come to expect nothing less from playing your previous missions. What is suprising is that it only took you a couple of days to create. I like all of your missions but they usually require a good couple of hours to play. It is really nice to have a short mission from you that i can play when I'm in the mood for Dark Mod but only have an hour to spare.

Your Fauchard street thread in the editors forum was a great read and very helpful to a budding FM maker like myself. I'm still amazed that it only took you a few days to do this.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

Thanks for your comment! And I hope it has helped with your editing, so we can see the results after a while. :)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic job, Melan. I can't believe you pulled this off in such a short period of time.

I quite enjoyed the mission, it had a great mix of challenging areas and helpful shadows. Others have mentioned the sound problem and map icon; the only other oddity I noticed was the reflective mirror that showed the portal sky even though I was indoors.

For future reference, I did find this one a tiny bit on the dark side--I had to pull out my lantern frequently to get my bearings.

Also, was there any way to frob the

'thief-proof' lever and get to those stairs?

Springheel: thanks for your comments!

The lever outside cannot be pulled - now the one on the inside...

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

This was the first mission I actually used a body as an intentional distraction.

I was on my way back to the start, and wanted to tie up the guards that patrolled past there, so I grabbed the nobleman's body, walked out onto the lit balcony above the main entrance and amidst the cries of, "Hey you, drop that body!" I calmly obliged and tossed him over the edge. Then I ran like hell to the other balcony, slid down the drainpipe and made my way through the printers.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the mission! I like that there are many ways to accomplish.

Still need to find the way through "thief-proof" gates.

BTW I was able to reach rooftop on the opposite side of the window, where golden spyglass is placed. Just climb the statue.

This is the best TDM mission I've played for now, and I've played them all. Congratulations Melan.

On the visual design and detail aspect, it enters my top three with Somewhere above the City and St Alban's Cathedral. But where it shines most is in its classic Thief gameplay: as the player progresses, you manage to give the strong feeling that there are many different paths (although it is not be true), many different stories to solve and different ways of solving them. A rooftop heist to get to the estate. Then a tense street level hide and seek game with patrolling guards.

Attention to detail is amazing. When I found my way down unharmed to the little garden from the window, after grabbing that piece of loot, it felt rewarding - almost like finding a secret. Arriving on the ground level triggered an audio sample of people shouting in the street, and that felt like the perfect icing on the cake. The sound design is also excellent.

Now this was for me what Thief is all about. BTW I love the fact that non-usable doors have their textures but no handles.

Only downside: hearing loud footsteps all around with doors closed even though I'm playing 1.06.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Your name was mentioned in another thread, Melan, so I had to take a peek at something you had made. Needless to say, I'm very impressed. I don't think I can add much to the well-deserved accolades in this thread, but I sure had fun. I wanted to ghost it, but, alas, I got into a situation where I had to knock someone out. I played on expert, had 1 KO (the guard who pathed up the stair to the entrance of Lenderman's house), and had a "4" stealth rating. The architecture is shockingly good, and you make the interiors feel a lot more extensive than they are. I adore the many above-the-street moments. I had 1185 loot and suspect that what I missed has something to do with the old broken stairway. I also found myself on the very top of the roofs, peering down on the stars, which I suspect wasn't part of the mission :) but at least I confirmed I hadn't missed anything in the estate adjacent to Lenderman's (the only thing I found in there was the suit of armor and note...glad to see the chafing was addressed!)

Come to think of it, I do remember another street-level door I didn't go in but from which I saw a guard come out. It would have been the upper left of the map.

Anyway, really great mission. I've liked just about all of them, but this is one of the best so far. I did get odd crashes initially, whenever I would try to expand the screen (not sure why, but TDM always defaults to the upperleft quarter of my screen and I have to drag it to fill out the screen....maybe because I do not play "full-screen"). I checked here and saw the thing about some patch for doom, so I tried that and the crashes went away (something like malloric or mallec). Thank you for creating such a fun mission....and setting unrealistic expectations for the rest of us mortals. :D Seventy-some hours?! good gravy...

Thank you for your comment, ithel! :)

Also:

1) It's actually not easy to find seventy-something free hours (as I am finding with the Halloween contest)

2) This amount only applies if you are reasonably familiar with the tools. If you are beginning, calculate with a bit more. But I still think people can make a small, nicely playable FM in a limited amount of time - if they can, and are willing to commit themselves to it! :)

• 1 month later...

It has been a while since i sat down with Darkmod on the playing side, so i went to browse for some smaller, heist-like mission..Yeah i know it's halloween but i just wasn't in the mood for a fright :)

So this was choosen, and however i havent yet got to the end, i am dropping by to say that this is really good, satisfiying moments of finding cleverly placed loot, sneaking by naturally blending patrols and climbing on stuff that i thought i should be able to climb on..all in all, its fun,grats! :)

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Played and finished this last night; AB FAB!

Don't really have anything to add to the comments already made about gameplay; I only found about 1200 loot so I've still got some exploring to do. However, very pleased and grateful I was allowed to find a way to a 'Top of the world Ma' position (again) :rolleyes: : -

post-9265-0-64365500-1337254513_thumb.jpg

post-9265-0-25932100-1337254548_thumb.jpg

For the few who may be interested, the route is:

1. Up the drainpipe from the enclosed garden to the top (easy-peasy).

2. Jump onto the roof to the right (sightly tricky; chance of slipping off about 30%).

3. Jump from roof onto shoulders/head of gargoyle lion thing (VERY tricky - chance of slipping off about 90%+ in my experience, but there is a sweet spot that allows you to get on top of his head).

4. Turn round and jump onto the boiler/cistern/whatever (on the right of the gargoyle). Pretty tricky again, but easier than no. 3.

5. Jump onto the wall.

6. Welcome to the void. Loads of places to explore.

Love love love it. Thanks Melan, and thanks to the whole dev team. TDM is a great game, and this is a great mission.

Thanks for posting that! :)

Edited by Melan

• 5 weeks later...

Just got a chance to play this last night, and it was extremely enjoyable!

Had some trouble getting the golden spyglass on the windowsill. I threw a bunch of candle sticks and broadheads at it, eventually got it down with some saves and reloads. According to what some have said above, there's a way you can jump to it? It also seems like the mass of that spyglass might be set a bit high. It hardly responded to a collision with a fast-traveling candlestick. Our inventory player spyglass definitely has its mass set too high, you can only throw it about a foot.

Ishtvan:

It is highly optional; actually the hardest piece of loot in the mission. You can get up there by climbing up to the balcony, then jumping/mantling up to the gargoyle and around the awnings until you reach the spyglass. It is hard, though, especially without saving and reloading.

• 2 months later...

ok so I just need to ask was this mission suppose to take me just 30 mins?

125196923-4.jpg

The stealth score is super high because when I found out that I have actually blindly finished all the objectives I just ran through the streets. Why blindly? Well when I saw all the readables I collected and I kept telling to myself that I'll read them later I suddenly found myself with all the stuff I need in my hands... so I was super lucky or was it suppose to go that way?

It is not supposed to be a hard mission, or even a very large one, although I believe running through the place is not a particularly satisfying way of completing it.

Finally played this mission, can't believe I put it off this long. i figured "well, its a speedbuild, can't be great". won't be making that mistake again, this mission was wonderful.

Great atmosphere, straightforward enjoyable gameplay, multiple routes, secret rooms, thieves highway available, never encountered any bugs. That's a lot of quality features for a speedbuild.

A true accomplishment!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi ECHELON,

thanks for your interest. The texts in the mission are neither in Aramaic nor badly written. However, they are often archaic (posted notices and advertisements), in a lower-class slang (messages by thieves) or overwrought and flowery (rich and self-important people like Lendermann). Characters who are uneducated and only barely literate may also make mistakes in spelling, punctuation or grammar - which are intentional in the texts I have written.

These are deliberately different styles to evoke social differences, different idioms, and the fact that TDM is not set in the modern world. I do not wish to sound unkind, but if you are oblivious to these differences of tone, you may want to ask for a better translator.

But, if i want to create a mission in wich the text are all in old LATIN, would you understand something? Or into italian slang?

However, for me, this is a badly written string:

Gauging and Measuring made a brief Con of Measuring of Surfaces and Solids after a more concise and inelligible Manner than commonly practised

But if you are of idea of " better to see that I can write complicated rather to write correct sentences" i say ok

Ah, and " , " is not the same of " : "

Edited by ECHELON