The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Fiasco at Fauchard Street by Melan (2011/05/01)

Melan

Dude. That part was copied verbatim from an actual old English broadside (a sort of newsletter) published in 1698. It is an actual historical advertisement. :laugh:

And that's the issue here. You don't get it because you don't possess the language to pick up the cues which tell you this is dodgy, but intentionally dodgy because that's precisely the kind of ad you would find in a back alley in an Early Modern setting. This is not a personal failing, mind you, but a skill that comes through practice.

In my opinion, you need a translator who can translate an old-style text into a different language while keeping both the style and the meaning intact. That's not necessarily easy, but that's the essence of translation. I hope you can find someone who can do a good job

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Haven't heard many complaints.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

So i have to think that all in the forum except me can understand 1698 english texts without problem.

Perhaps kindly asking the author to help you translate the most difficult parts you couldnt comprehend, instead of accusing him of being unable to writte, would be the best aproach here.

Edited by RPGista
  • Like 1

I'm looking forward to the translation of this FM since I mostly didn't understand what I was reading in this mission and I never finished it.

I don't know it for sure and can only make a guess but maybe the reason why Echelon didn't ask kindly for help was that he got frustrated after trying to translate these texts. I personally didn't knew the fact that you were using a language from 1698 when playing this mission and got frustrated to while scanning the texts for mission relevant things while mostly not understanding much and gave up. I can't speak for Echelon though. :unsure:

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

I'm looking forward to the translation of this FM since I mostly didn't understand what I was reading in this mission and I never finished it.

I don't know it for sure and can only make a guess but maybe the reason why Echelon didn't ask kindly for help was that he got frustrated after trying to translate these texts. I personally didn't knew the fact that you were using a language from 1698 when playing this mission and got frustrated to while scanning the texts for mission relevant things while mostly not understanding much and gave up. I can't speak for Echelon though. :unsure:

yes, it's more or less what I think. :)

However, if melan could convert at least this text to 2012 english would be a good think. :) :

"#str_20019" "The Present State of The City as to Coin and public Charges. In 3 parts. Treating of the Necessity of more Money, and of Ways and Means to procure it; of Raising its Value, against which the opposite Prejudices, are refused by demonstrable Reason. By J. Hodges. Price 6 g.\n\nAn Essay concerning Vacuum; wherein is endeavoured to be demonstrated, that a Vacuum runs though the World, and is more or less in all Bodies. By A. L. Syme. Price 2 g.\n\nGauging and Measuring made a brief Con of Measuring of Surfaces and Solids after a more concise and inelligible Manner than commonly practised. Very useful for all Lovers of Art; such as Gaugers, Measurers, Painters, Carpenters, Joyners, Masons Bricklayers and Glaziers. Price 10 g.\n"
"#str_20020" "::::::: At the first House on the left :::::::  Hand, in Darby-Court Channel-Row, \n\nPersons may have all sorts of Business depending in the Courts of Law and Equity, Privy Council, Treasury, Navy-Offices, &c. Speedily and faithfully sollicited. We buy, sell or let, Houses, Estates, Ground-Rents, &c. We likewise make an Interest to invest Gentlemen and others, in Places; we have now these Places to dispose of, 6 in the country, 2 valued at above 1500 g. a Year, valued at near 600 g. a Year, 2 of 350 g. a Year. We have also several Places in the City, one of 1500 g. a Year, 3 valued at near 700 g. a Year, some of 500 g. 300 g. 250 g. 200 g. a Year Salaries. \n\n :::::::: PRINTED BY JEROME DE ROTHGER on Fauchard Street, near Groasse & Swill ::::::::\n"
"#str_20022" "\n\n\nWe have several very advantagious Employments, to propose to those who are good Clerks, Draftsmen of sure Hand, and Accomptants, that we have not room to insert, but for particulars refer to our Bills, which any Person may be furnished with at our Office, or consult Mr. H. Groasse, Prop. \n\nNote, the detriment that has arisen to Persons employed by the late Wollan & Sons by non Payment of their Salaries, &c. has so much prejudiced us against all Falsehood they shall be most satisfied of the stability of their Foundation, the certainty of the Payment of Salaries, our Welcomes &c.\n\n:::::::: PRINTED BY JEROME DE ROTHGER, on Fauchard Street, near Groasse & Swill ::::::::\n"
"#str_20023" "		  + + BOOKS + +\n"
"#str_20024" "\n\nprinted and sold by JEROME de ROTHGER, PRINTER, on Fauchard Street near Groasse & Swill. Also prayer books & divers broadsides for the discerning customer.\n\nChamberlen's Midwisery, the third Edition. Price 12 gold. Calf.\n\nRutherford Letters. Price 3 g.\n\nThe Fulfilling of the Vocations for Believers, and Convincing Pagan Idolators, with rare Histories of the Works of eminent Persons in the Church of the Lord Builder. The 3rd Edition. By R. Fleming. Price 25 g.\n\nAn Exposition, with practical Observations, on the Book of St. Witledge: By A. Nisbet. Price 4 g.\n"
"#str_20025" "In Dog-well-Court, \n"
"#str_20026" "\n\nlives Magister Thomas Kirleus a Collegiate Physician: Who with a Drink and Pill, hindering no Business, cures all Ulcers Scabs, Scurfs, in the Face, or elsewhere a Kings-Evil Leprosie, and Venereal Disease, nothing if cures not. Of the last, he has cured above 500 persons in this City, many after fluxing. It quickly and safety curd is on the beginning, which cannot be done with Mercury without danger of Life. The Drink is a 8 g. the Quart, the Pill 5 g. the Box, which is two Purges. They exec all Purgers in cleansing all Crudities and Impurities, and so prevent and cure many Diseases, and especially the Gout and Stone. In all Diseases he gives his Opinion for nothing, and his Medicines for little.\n:::::::::: PRINTED BY J.D. ROTHGER ::::::::::\n"

"#str_20029" "\nIt is as you have said, they are hiding something in the old machine room. I saw Coyle rummage about one of the boxes of rusty junk, then Dickinson sneaking in. I suspected liquor, but both were alert and careful, and Dickinson is well known for refusing a round even when invited by another.\n\nI propose we do not tell anyone about it yet. If Mullin learns the news, he will tell Groasse himself and we will get nothing out of it. If we see what is it about that cache first, we can still tell later, or better, go to Groasse ourselves. No harm in it, and I suspect Mullin has something against you. Just conceal this note from his eyes and lay low for a while; our time will come. \n									 -- J.\n"
"#str_20030" "Sub-par Performance:\n~Th. Ennel: lackwit\n~M. Ports: untidy clothing\n~J. Dangerfield: sleeping at desk, shoddy penmanship\n~G. Harrin: refusal to rise and salute, insinuations about purpose of inspection\n~Th. Attwell: failure to store schematics securely, untidy clothing\n~W. Blower: ref. rise&salute\n"

You could have started with this step. Here is an attached file with simpler texts.

fauchardreadables.txt

Finished italian translation. :D

EDIT: i found a small bug in the mission. The icon of the map shows black square. The reason is this

guis/assets/hud/inventory_icons/map_of_inv_icon.

It should be:

guis/assets/hud/inventory_icons/map_of_icon

I fixed it into the converted mission. :)

Edited by ECHELON

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Must admit had me scratching my head a bit for the first 10 minutes, getting through the street is tough cookies. Theres a very well lit spot with 2-3 guards alternating with a small opportunity window and a women at the end of the street. Not to mention the place itself is fairly well guarded on the outside so its only a matter of exploring well right at the beginning. I think I liked the challenge along with limited equipment though I can see some people not liking the rather strict route to take as opposed to the much more obvious yet very difficult one we are led onto.

Theres a bit of mantling and tight rope here for the acrobats, while a little bit of sneaking for the rest of us. It would be a nice to see more from Melan because I think he is probably like Jesps in that he can make a well rounded mission, Melan only needs to apply himself more to make something longer & larger. I wonder if your working on anything? It would be a shame if this where your last.

Story 2

Gameplay 3

Appearance 4

Edited by TheUnbeholden

TheUnbeholden: There are three so far unreleased large missions where I have made a substantial contribution. Two of these will be included in the campaign, while the third (which is based on integrating multiple small maps by different people) has been cut for the time being, and will probably see release separately. All three are more large-scale than seen in either Fauchard Street or Return to the City.

Unfortunately, I am spending a lot less time building than I could manage a few years ago -- work is getting more and more overwhelming, and this Autumn, I even had to spend several of my weekends on work-related projects. :(

• 8 months later...

Unfortunately, I am spending a lot less time building than I could manage a few years ago -- work is getting more and more overwhelming, and this Autumn, I even had to spend several of my weekends on work-related projects. :(

This is really a bad news for us taffers :-(

(but a good news for you and your work, of course, everybody has a life :-) )

You missions are always IMHO supertop quality and a real pleasure to play.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just finished it, it's one of the best I've played so far! Remids me of Life of the Party as well! The main feature for me is that player is able to use roofs as well as streets. I wish there were more missions like this!

How we speak depends on how we keep silent.

• 2 months later...

Melan, thank you. This was my first ever TDM mission and it was a delight. Fantastic thiefy feel, and although I'm still finding my way around the controls and what I can do with weapons and jumping, climbing, interaction etc. and I'm still rather clumsy at the moment, I really enjoyed it very much indeed and am greatly looking forward to the next 70 odd is it? The only problem I had, needing a reload (apart from a lot of falling!) was getting stuck on the stones in the back garden.

Edited by nickie
  • Like 3

Thank you for your confidence, nickie! And welcome to the forums! :)