Shadowhide

42 members have voted

1. 1. Seasonal Theme

• No Season
    • Barely Defined
    • Season is Clear
    • Season is Captured Well
    • Near Perfect
  2. 2. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag?

3. 3. Aesthetics: Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style. Audio, use mood. Storytelling and consistency?

Good news taffers, SH and myself are gonna collaborate on v2 of WH. I will do the mapping and SH will do all that complicated scripting stuff

^_^

Great! I'll then refrain from playing it until it has come out from your gentle touch.

Any idea about time? Will the improved map be out still in the contest timetable?

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked this mission.

Of course it's not a perfect mission (and it's a first effort on a mission), but the season it's really well captured (especially the beginning), and, IMHO, it's simply the best forest that i've seen for TDM until now.

Bravo Shadowhide! :-)

I'm obviously missing something, and I'm barely motivated to find out what.

I respect the amount of effort that goes into making a mission, but since Shadowhide has been quite blunt in his assessment of other missions, I'm not going to pull any punches.

I almost gave up on this mission before I even started. The briefing was absolutely terrible. The grammar was atrocious and in some cases I'm not even sure what you were trying to say. There's no excuse for not getting a native speaker to proofread for you. Also, some of the large blocks of text whipped by too quickly to read, while a single line stayed up for like 30 seconds.

The Objectives also used terrible grammar and were difficult to understand. There was no obvious difference between the various difficulty levels...did they make any difference at all?

Starting the game, I had no idea what I was supposed to do, and had no tools or clues about where to go. The starting room was nice, but outside the area

was blocky and completely uninteresting....the same trees cloned over and over again with terrible-looking stone hills to wall you in. And that wind sound was both loud and annoying, and seemed to repeat on a regular cycle. Since none of the trees were moving, it was twice as damaging to my sense of immersion.

I spent the first amount of time running through the map looking for something interesting I could do. I only found out by accident that the AI near the starting area wouldn't attack me...the vocals were great--really awesome, in fact, but I didn't hear them until after I already found the key, which ruined it. Why would the player walk right up to an AI in a lit area? There was no indication that he wouldn't attack me if I did that.

Having to run from one end of the map to the other just to get equipment that any regular thief would carry by default was tedious, especially since there was nothing threatening or interesting along the way.

The bit with the revenant was nice, and a surprise, but that was at the point where I got stuck. I have one lockpick, and I've been everywhere that I can find without wandering aimlessly around in the trees hoping to find somewhere interesting. I have no idea where I'm supposed to go or what I'm supposed to find--I suspect it might be the pagan orb, but that could be anywhere.

The only thing that is making me want to continue on with this mission are the comments I read on the first page or two about how big it is. I'm obviously missing something, and maybe my opinion will turn around once I find it, but unless I get a pretty straightforward clue about where to go, that won't happen, I'm afraid.

Definitely better - looks like it's still gloomy but the "safe" areas are shown up with the light better!

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

Damn, Bikerdude, how many missions do you have on the go at once, what with helping other people, too? =-3

You do a lot of great work here.

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

I have a question : what people want from update ? rework of architecture and bugfixing or rework of architecture and bugfixing+ new scripted scenes,new puzzles ?

Some story questions answered like I mentioned here.

"To rush is without doubt the most important enemy of joy" ~ Thieves Saying

I have a question : what people want from update ? rework of architecture and bugfixing or rework of architecture and bugfixing+ new scripted scenes,new puzzles ?

The mission was so flawed I recommend strong focusing on the bugs. Do not add anything more there, just make the existing stuff work.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just a minor update on the progress of this and whats been done this far...

The huts - imagine your self up in the mountains, in a log cabin looking at a crackling fire...

The church - think of my cadueus mission, this has similar feel....

The forest - is bitterly cold and frosty, the snow sparkling in the moonlight as tree's cast eerie shadows in the night...

The 'other' forest - the sun is just rising, a crisp spring morning, the birds singing and the clouds dancing in the sky...

The swamp - is foreboding and closed in, mist all around. The moon high in the sky shining down through a gap in the canopy..

The castle - [watch this space]

While I work on the eye candy SH is working on the scripting...

:ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Played it now for the first time. I had a hard time to figure out what to do, but all in all it's a good mission for a first FM. I think you wanted too much, or wanted to try one thing too much. Anyway... keep up the good work. I liked the woods' scene the most. That was cool. I am really looking forward to your next mission.