The Dark Mod Forums

Morrowind Graphics Extender

STiFU

I discovered the Morrowind Graphics Extender a couple of days ago on youtube.

is a sample video. It's still no Crysis, but it's nevertheless a huge graphical improvement over vanilla ES3 and I thought I'd share it with you guys. :) You'll finde more cool videos if you search for "morrowind 2011" or "morrowind graphics extender".

Apparently those videos don't showcase all of the possible features. Here is what I have seen so far on screenshots and videos: SSAO, DOF, HDR, Bloom, High res textures, Vegetation, cool water with Crysis-like caustics / light refraction, proper AA and AF support, widescreen support.

I am really looking forward to start a fourth character in this game with updated graphics, once I have more free time again. :laugh:

Thanks jaxa, that will improve my next morrowind experience even further. That will still have to wait two months though, until I'm finally done with my thesis. :) How's the stability when using those two mods?

I haven't tried Rebirth yet since i've been waiting for it to get finished (its had fast progress so far) but I will try it out before you are done with your thesis. I remember having some trouble setting up MGE in the first place, but once I did it worked well. I noticed a recent issue where alt tabbing out and back in seems to wipe out the distant land until you restart the game. You can run it in windowed mode to prevent this. MGE actually claims to fix some crashes btw, and for the most part it does not crash. If you weren't aware, one of the most notorious causes of crashes is vanilla Morrowind's default config settings (in some .ini file, Morrowind.ini?) that make it attempt to render a maximum of 240 FPS or some ungodly amount by default. Set this to 60 if you haven't already done so. MGE can overlay its own FPS counter that gives you an accurate number that measures performance even if you set the max to 60. Depending on what I'm doing, I'll get 100+ in interiors, 15-60 in exteriors, and maybe 5-10 when I do that 1000 pts of levitate and go wild.

Edited by jaxa

I did try MGE a while ago, but I remember being slightly pissed off because all the filters don't have a real explanation. Like: This filter does this and is superior to that. Something like that. Also, my gc (HD5770) apparently was too slow to run MGE with most goodies enabled (like SSAO, DOF etc.), so I put it away until I get my HD6970.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

I am a huge fan of Morrowind but the video you linked is really ugly for my taste.

That HDR is surely overdone there, and some of the texture replacements just don't fit. Another problem is that while a huge view distance sounds nice, MW was not designed to have it..So if you increase it too much things just loose their "weight" , their massiveness..it also ruins the feeling of exploration..

But it's maybe just me.. but i also think that morrowind is meant to played with the original heads..however ugly they are, they are allways better to me than those 'better heads' all roundy, modelish faces.

MGE is a great tool, it would be nice if it would come with some presets that are fine-tuned already.

Edited by _Atti_

That HDR is surely overdone there, and some of the texture replacements just don't fit. Another problem is that while a huge view distance sounds nice, MW was not designed to have it..So if you increase it too much things just loose their "weight" , their massiveness..it also ruins the feeling of exploration..

But it's maybe just me.. but i also think that morrowind is meant to played with the original heads..however ugly they are, they are allways better to me than those 'better heads' all roundy, modelish faces.

Agreed. Also the engine Morrowind runs on doesn't deal with the extended vision distance of MGE that great. I get shitty FPS even with the lowest "distant land" settings, and I admit, my computer isn't the best around but compared to other games it really shouldn't be a problem.

I get the feeling with most modifications to games that unless you change everything and I mean EVERYTHING the modded pieces will almost always contrast too much against the original content enough to ruin part of the immersion and it just gets ugly.

But I'm happy to see with the Morrowind Rebirth mod that cities have been extended and changed, but not modded to look out of place. I really like that and was almost enough to turn my pants into a fudge-factory. :D(yes, I LOVE Morrowind.)

Can't wait for it to be released... *rubs hands*

Morrowind 2011 was canceled because some of the authors of the content used in it were upset that their stuff was in it, which imo is selfish. But if you search for a torrent of it you can still find it, and the install instructions are still on the main 2011 website. After installing it most the weapons are missing skins though and the FPS aren't great, but my rig is old.

I've been playing through Morrowind for the first time the last couple weeks with this mod. Even though I think Oblivion is leaps and bounds better it's surprising I can still get immersed in Morrowind. Can't wait for Skyrim now :D

Has anyone tried Morroblivion?

Apparently almost all the quests work in it now. I've tried to get it to work but I couldn't get the python scripts that it needs to install properly so I gave up.