The Dark Mod Forums

Abandoned Works

fllood

About the Hotel, the lighting I did was a very, very rough pass, just to create a base atmosphere and tinker from here. The only thing I almost finished was the geometry. I intended to add quite a lot of switches so players could turn lights off (and guards could turn them on again), but in retrospect it would have been very disorientating, guessing what switch does what. Gas lamps à la Thief 2 could have worked though.

I'm glad you came up with something for the story, since mine was pretty bland; there was a kind of conspiracy and the owner would eavesdrop on his guests.

Edited by skacky

I have pages and pages of handwritten notes. I typed up a summary of them in a readme file within the pk4, but could go into more detail if you like.

You can also feed them into a scanner, you know! ;)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@ Biker

got it. Thanks! Added Baddcog's map to the list.

Edited by fllood

"To rush is without doubt the most important enemy of joy" ~ Thieves Saying

Deadlove adopted 'Settin the Scene' from _atti_

High Society is still open for adoption.

• 5 months later...

The lighting in The White Rose Hotel is gorgeous.

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

• 1 month later...

The Theothesnopp send me a few WIP's to put up for anyone who like to proceed from there or take parts from the started maps to integrate into their own.

None of the maps have been updated since a while before the standalone, so they will have to be updated.

"Neigbours"

Medium sized castle like interior, may be turned into an exterior.

Runs in 2.0 but need some fixing

neighbohrs_2014-10-19_00.35.jpg

"Lost City"

Small Beginning Area.

Not much areas done in this one yet. But maybe a nice head start for anyone (particular new mappers) who like to proceed from here.

lostcity_2014-10-19_00.12.05.jpg

"Life in Luxery"

A small city area with a handfull of interiors. very messy, and not very good portaled exteriors.

Also do include a hidden underground area with a smugglers theme.

Misses certain paths (player can't enter certain areas yet)

Broken since TDM 2.0: Requires update, heavy sealing and portaling.

So if anybody feels the map is worth the trouble you should have patience and a good knowledge of DR/TDM.

Send me a PM if interested in any of these assets.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Bikerduke gave "The While Rose Hotel" (original autor Skacky) free back for adoption.

He could help anyone to contnue if someone wants to take the map onboard.

Springheel also already did a story synopsios that could be build upon ...

• Like 1

@Skacky,

@Biker,

@Spring,

I'm putting WS6 inside a museum. Would WRH be appropriate for that?

I have to complete WS4 and WS5 first, though, so it'll prolly be a long while before I begin to work on WS6. I wouldn't want to keep someone else from adopting this during that time if it's nearly complete and there's a story to go with it.

I'm putting WS6 inside a museum. Would WRH be appropriate for that?

Not so sure. The first floor maybe, but the top two floors have a lot of bedroom type rooms. It's a massive map...so big I couldn't figure out what to do with it all.

but the top two floors have a lot of bedroom type rooms. It's a massive map...so big I couldn't figure out what to do with it all.

As Springs says, its a massive map. It is a whole mission in its own right and the original work done my Skacky and then subsequent work by myself and Springs means this mission should really stay as a hotel based mission.

If and when someone takes this on, I am more than happy to co-author it with them. Its was just too much work for one person and as everyone knows my story telling skills are crap, which is why I never got anywhere with it. I wanted to do it the absolute justice its so readily deserves.

On the musum front, I dont see any reason sections of it cant be used and donor parts that are then customized to suit.

Hi Aosys, thanks for your interest. I would not advice this wip for new mappers. It is a big map. Chances are high White Rose Hotel will be too much challange for anyone not having completed any TDM map so far.

Edited by fllood

What about YOU, ST? Why not take it on? Youve done work for a hotel of sorts, a tavern and its guests. ;) Are you resting on your laurels, because you won that contest there like it says on top of your avatar? :D