The Dark Mod Forums

Abandoned Works

fllood

Each mapper works differently. I've taken over a harbour map from this thread but spent considerable time figuring out how the map's been put together and then reshaping it into a state I personally can work with

I can attest to this also. It takes a surprising amount of effort to figure out someone else's map.

This specific map is also particularly finicky to work with. It is organic, detailed and confusing.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

• 8 months later...

JackFarmer and bikerdude have adopted The Black Mage and Seeking Lady Leicester, respectively. bikerdude intends to begin working on it right away, while JackFarmer intends to commence in September 2021. Both have obtained the FM files.

Aa a further update, I've returned Wrecker's Reach after making my FM, Perilous Refuge, from a portion of it.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

Someone send me an old version of the White Rose. I think I can do something with it.

This thing is far to big and maze like, so I started to simplify and shrink the map down a bit, to make it easier to navigate.

Fllood hasn't contacted me yet, but I'm assuming noone has a problem with me doing that.

If somebody has a newer version, please send it to me.

Edited by Baal

@fllood

Lots of abandoned missions have no screenshots attached, so it's a bit difficult to get an idea about the map. Is it an idea if somebody creates those screenshots and they will be added to the first post? I am willing to make them.

Edit: Maybe the wiki is a good place to post the pictures? Just one page with the details and screenshots?

Edited by datiswous
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, datiswous said:

@fllood

Lots of abandoned missions have no screenshots attached, so it's a bit difficult to get an idea about the map. Is it an idea if somebody creates those screenshots and they will be added to the first post? I am willing to make them.

Would be interesting to also see a shot of the mission in DR too for mappers to get a better idea of how much there is and how dense (brush, patch and entity counts would be good too).

@Baal Have you tried sending a PM to fllood? Simply pinging them with @ only gives them a notification when they log into the forums, while a PM will also get sent to their email.

• Like 2

Also, fllood isn't active on the forums a lot it seems, so maybe another person can give authorisation when @fllood isn't around? Just an idea. I guess I could pm this to fllood.

Edit:

On 5/15/2011 at 6:02 PM, fllood said:

How to adopt?

Send a PM to me. (Please do not contact any team member. I will consult with them where needed.)

Edited by datiswous

Sending someone a pm may not necessarely cause the person to get an e-mail, as he either could have turned the notification of or isn't using the respective e-mail anymore.

2 hours ago, datiswous said:

@fllood

Edit: Maybe the wiki is a good place to post the pictures? Just one page with the details and screenshots?

Maybe something like this list?! https://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Upcoming_Fan_Missions

(which is btw. heavely outdated). I am not sure though how often abandoned work really gets adopted (and how often said adoption leads to a release). So maybe a lot of work for nothing.

• Like 1

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

2 minutes ago, Obsttorte said:

Yeah, but I was thinking of putting only the official abandoned works all in one page and a table view is not useful in this case I think. It is indeed difficult to update that page and I find it not super useful anyway, since there are so many wips that don't make it, or it's unclear if it made it in a mission.

I mean't a seperate one, just like that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Obsttorte said:

I am not sure though how often abandoned work really gets adopted (and how often said adoption leads to a release). So maybe a lot of work for nothing.

We've had quite a lot of adoptions in recent memory:

• Perilous Refuge by me from the Crucible Campaign
  • Black Mage by JackFarmer from Grayman
  • Seeking Lady Leicester by bikerdude from Grayman
  • Away 0 by Geep from Atti
  • Baal seeking to adopt White Rose Hotel from Skacky/Springheel
  • I'm seeing occasional updates on Blackheart Manor by bikerdude from Dram
  • Occasionally people ask to look at abandoned maps, i.e. NeonsStyle showed an interest in what remains of Wrecker's Reach some time ago
1 hour ago, Baal said:

Yes, I did send fllood a message. He has not yet logged in and read it.

Maybe he didn't get around to it yet... in any case, it'd be best if more than one person had access to the abandoned missions storage in case someone has an accident or goes AWOL. They could be put on the SVN betamapper repo, for instance.

• Like 2

@DragoferWell, that's more often than I thought it would be. I agree that it makes sense to upload the fms somewhere, so they don't get lost. The betamapper repo seems fitting.

On 5/22/2021 at 8:32 AM, JackFarmer said:

May I have a look into "The Black Mage"? I would just check it and get back to you guys asap. Thank you.

I was wondering if certain custom assets can be re-used after the mission is used. For example atmospheric background sounds.

I mean in general, this is just an example. Or for example in the situation that somebody adapts the unfinished mission, but does not use all the assets from it.

• Like 1