The Dark Mod Forums

Abandoned Works

fllood

On 12/26/2022 at 6:01 PM, Dragofer said:

Architecture is mostly done and some sparse interiors exist. There used to be more interiors, but they were lost during an incorrect backup overwrite - screenshots of some of those interiors can be found in #2 to #10 of this album and in the .pk4's screenshot folder (which is the reason why I personally have little motivation to recreate them, rather than working on my new & original WIPs). T

From a mapper's perspective, that's probably the worst thing imaginable. I'm crazy sorry. It looked great and I feel for you that you didn't want  working on it afterwards.

Edited by JackFarmer

15 minutes ago, wesp5 said:

I just noticed this thread for the first time. Shouldn't "One for the gang" and "Seed of lodestar" be added to this list? Both are available from the beta board and could easily be adopted.

absolutely not until they are deemed abandoned by the authors themselves. And neither of these authors have done so, so no.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Amadeus said:

absolutely not until they are deemed abandoned by the authors themselves. And neither of these authors have done so, so no.

Maybe somebody should contact them then? Seed of Lodestar has been abandoned for about five years, and Aosys hasn't been active here for about two years...

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, wesp5 said:

What about Aosys? Anybody know if he is still around anywhere?

You could always send him a PM....

And what Datiswous (and Welli in another conversation) said is super important for this conversation and worth repeating: Just because a mission is unfinished does NOT mean it's abandoned.

Edited by Amadeus
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, datiswous said:

If you want to list missions that are unfinished, go create a new topic, because it has nothing to do with this topic.

So what are the official criteria differentiating between an unfinished mission and an abandoned mission?

1 hour ago, wesp5 said:

So what are the official criteria differentiating between an unfinished mission and an abandoned mission?

When the AUTHOR of the mission in question declares that the mission is abandoned... that's it. This is not that hard guys. If you didn't make the mission, you don't get to declare it abandoned, easy peasy

Edited by Amadeus
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, datiswous said:

You can read that in the first post of this topic:

I don't think you have read it yet.

Indeed, I didn't bother to read through all the pages of this thread when I stumbled onto the end. The good news is that I just contacted Aosys and he will consider finishing "One for the Gang" himself :)!

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Amadeus said:

When the AUTHOR of the mission in question declares that the mission is abandoned... that's it. This is not that hard guys. If you didn't make the mission, you don't get to declare it abandoned, easy peasy

Is a mission which was declared as "abandoned" also autmatically declared as "others may continue to work on it"?

Sorry, don't want to cause even more confusion. ;)

4 minutes ago, chakkman said:

Is a mission which was declared as "abandoned" also autmatically declared as "others may continue to work on it"?

No. You submit it to flood, who manages abandoned works, who then distributes the abandoned FMs to those who ask. This is all information that can be found in the original post of this thread

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...

Some time ago I downloaded an old mission, called Yan's Test. By the name and content I think it was an intent to use a Quake Arena Map in a Mission. The mission is full playable without big bugs, but naturally requires some improvements, not so bad at all.

It's made by Yan Ostresov and Bikerdude

Edited by Zerg Rush

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

Favorite online apps you may like too 😉

On 7/15/2023 at 10:32 AM, Zerg Rush said:

Some time ago I downloaded an old mission, called Yan's Test. By the name and content I think it was an intent to use a Quake Arena Map in a Mission. The mission is full playable without big bugs, but naturally requires some improvements, not so bad at all.

It's made by Yan Ostresov and Bikerdude

Yes you can see the link to the download on this page:

https://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Fan_Missions_for_The_Dark_Mod

But it has absolutelly nothing to do with this topic. Please stay on-topic.

Edited by datiswous
  • Like 1

Yan's test are not in the mission list in the Wiki you mencioned, as I can remember I downloaded it from ModDB (not longer there). I mencioned it, because I thought that is only a Test Mision, as is not publicable, maybe because of the Copyright of the Quake4 map. But I also thought that, despite to this, with some mapchanges can be a nice little mision. But sorry, I'm silent now.

Sys Specs Laptop Lenovo V145 15AST, AMD A9- 9425 Radeon R5 - 5 cores 3,1 GHz  RAM 8Gb, GPU 1+2 Gb -Win10 64 v21H2

On 7/20/2023 at 1:09 PM, Zerg Rush said:

Yan's test are not in the mission list in the Wiki you mencioned

It is. I added it there. With a link to moddb where it can still be downloaded. Search for "Q4 Conversion: Yan's Test". It links to:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/the-dark-mod/addons/yantdm1-1

Bikerdude converted it to a tdm map. He could abandon it and add it here.

Or do you mean some other mission?

Ah, ok, I don't found it before, searching with the old Title "Yan's test.pk4". I think it won't be a bad idea to use it at keast as base of a mision, maybe changing somewhat the map if there are copyright problems because of the Quake map. Quite old and still not released in the oficial TDM List, I thought that it was an abandoned (test) Mision.

Edited by Zerg Rush

4 hours ago, Zerg Rush said:

Ah, ok, I don't found it before, searching with the old Title "Yan's test.pk4". I think it won't be a bad idea to use it at keast as base of a mision, maybe changing somewhat the map if there are copyright problems because of the Quake map. Quite old and still not released in the oficial TDM List, I thought that it was an abandoned (test) Mision.

Would you mind to post a screenshot or two? I wonder how this one looks since we already talk about it.

Ah never mind there's a screenshot on the mod DB Page.

Edited by SeriousToni

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager