The Dark Mod Forums

TDM on Steam

Baddcog

Well, today I decided to put my Dark Radiant and TDM launcher (which I renamed TheDarkMod.exe) so people could see I was playing TDM when logged into steam.

First time I've added a non-steam game. I know quite a few Hammer mappers and mentioned TDM to a guy during L4D2 one night and he said the web page looked really nice, not sure if he's played yet though.

Anyway, it got me thinking, why not start a steam group and also start promoting through steam?

So I go to make a new group and TDM, The Dark Mod and thedarkmod are all taken. LOL. What? I didn't know we had a group.

So it looks like Tels and 7 up man are admins. But it's an invite only group, has anyone been invited?

So how bout this? Give me admin and I'll start updateing it when missions are released and whatnot. Do some screenies, etc... It might go nowhere but it might also get more mappers mapping.

Steam has a nice group chat too so that's always a cool way to help each other out while mapping.

This is my steam profile, anyone is welcome to add me as a friend. Maybe join the group first once we open it to public, then when an invite with a weird name comes in I know it's TDM related.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Voodoo_Daddy/

I added Tels and 7 Up as friends, but like I said, weird name, they won't know who I am 'til they read this.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see the problem. You see, when Tels created the Dark Mod group, he must have set an option wrong, so this group is invite only. I have endlessly searched through the options I have as admin, but I can't find a setting to make the group public. Unfortunately, Tels forgot the password to his account and refuses to install Steam on his machine. I have no idea if there is an option to retrieve the PW (aka. re-set) in the web interface.

I'll invite you as a friend and to my group. We'll see how it goes from there, Big Daddy. ^_^

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

I see the problem. You see, when Tels created the Dark Mod group, he must have set an option wrong, so this group is invite only. I have endlessly searched through the options I have as admin, but I can't find a setting to make the group public. Unfortunately, Tels forgot the password to his account and refuses to install Steam on his machine. I have no idea if there is an option to retrieve the PW (aka. re-set) in the web interface.

I just searched again, and there is none, it says "Install the steam client". However, I don#t even HAVE a steam account, I only have a "steam community account", and it is totally unclear if installing the steam client will even be able to reset that password...

7upman, can you delete the group and recreate a new one? (Btw, your nick on steam is not funny).

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Well, your Steam account Tels is whatever you used to sign up.

Just the name and password, it would be the same for just using steam for chat/groups as it would be for buying/playing games. And you install you can got to the steam support tab and have them resend info, or reset password, all that to the email you used to sign up. I'd think any admin could change the options somehow.

7upman, maybe you could contact steam and just say Tels uninstalled and since they refuse to add linux support he told them to go ... uhhh... Plough themselves ;)

And maybe they can let you reset the password or something. They can check and see he hasn't logged in forever and you have admin so I don't see why they wouldn't let you.

If you don't wanna deal with it but can make me admin I can try.

Would suck if we can't use The Dark Mod as the name.

Well, your Steam account Tels is whatever you used to sign up.

Just the name and password, it would be the same for just using steam for chat/groups as it would be for buying/playing games.

Er, no, that can't be. I just found https://support.steampowered.com/login.php

and it says both for my email and "tels", that the account does not exist. Oh well...

Would suck if we can't use The Dark Mod as the name.

Definitely. Sorry about that :(

But this confirms just the general "suckage" of "on-the-cloud" services, where the "service" can stop working for any particular reason...

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Btw, what happened to our main page? Can we please find somebody who is responsible for "www.thedarkmod.com" and transfer it to a reliable provider? I wouldn't even mind paying for it, just get it to bloody work... its down for a week and we have dead links to it all over the internet...

relevant info for site

domain: thedarkmod.com

created: 27-Jan-2005

last-changed: 28-Jan-2011

registration-expiration: 27-Jan-2012

nserver: ns7.schlund.de

nserver: ns8.schlund.de

look up email with whois.net, so many spiders on this site, dont want to give someone unwanted spam.

Edited by stumpy

I just searched again, and there is none, it says "Install the steam client". However, I don#t even HAVE a steam account, I only have a "steam community account", and it is totally unclear if installing the steam client will even be able to reset that password...

I'm with Baddcog here, I'm reasonably sure that you can use the login credentials for the Steam community. Still, I'll try to contact Steam support. Let's see where it goes from there.

7upman, can you delete the group and recreate a new one?

I can't. My "Admin options" are "Edit group profile" and "Manage group members". There is no option for further management under either of these options.

(Btw, your nick on steam is not funny).

It's a pun on the current CP insanity that's used to oppress civil rights in western democracies. Almost everyone who I talked to found the nick either a little harsh but good, or just plain lolled. What's important is: Everyone understands it. I assure you that once the insanity stops, I'll change my nick back to "PhreXes Phowltear" (the X standing for the greek letter "Xi".

But this confirms just the general "suckage" of "on-the-cloud" services, where the "service" can stop working for any particular reason...

I just can't stop wondering why everyone is into this Cloud crap anyway. I mean there are tons of disadvantages and just a few advantages. Of course, I'm talking from a security standpoint, not an economic one. Still, I hope the latest Amazon debacle showed everyone that it is a very very stupid idea to use Cloud services for vital services.

Edited by 7upMan

Btw, what happened to our main page? Can we please find somebody who is responsible for "www.thedarkmod.com" and transfer it to a reliable provider?

I've sent Sparhawk two emails about this. He responded to the first saying he would look into it, but hasn't responded to my second email about a week ago.

I fucking hate Steam sometimes. I tried to log into the website using my normal Steam credentials, which is supposed to be the way to go. Unfortunately, the web UI didn't accept my credentials. In order to check the password, I logged out of Steam and re-entered the pw. No luck, I must have changed it without remembering the new pw. Then I tried to re-set the credentials. I was sent an e-mail witch a reset code. Upon entering that code I was asked to answer the security question, who's my childhood here. How the fuck would I know? There are dozens that come to mind, and none of them worked. Can't they give other questions like what color my first car had or something? Or the name of my first pet? But no, a childhood hero (which I remember was the least stupid question to choose from). God I hate Steam...

Sorry for the rant.

Yeah, that's definitely a cool idea. I will join the group as well, but apparently I don't have the steam version of D3, so nobody will see when I play it. Also, I am almost never logged in... :D

@Tels. Your steam 'name' doesn't necessarily have anything to do with your log in. You can change the name anytime you want.

I have a few 'code names' that I use for log-ins/passwords for everything, so I never forget, or at least only have to try a few combinations.

I don't think the are really any worries about Steam, seems like a pretty secure system if you don't give out your password and let someone hijack your account. You don't have to store your card info there. I've been using it for quite awhile and have only heard of a few people losing their accounts, mainly due to clicking on links they shouldn't through requests/friends/chat.

@STiFU.

I don't have steam version of Doom either, but I did put my TDM .exe and dark radiant in my games library. I was hoping people would see them, but haven't had a chance to confirm. Maybe my friends will see 'in a non-steam game', not sure.

I don't want them to see Doom3 anyway.

Launching TDM from Steam does allow you to alt-Tab to the steam overlay though, so while playing you can receive messages/use forums/etc...

At least it's an easy way to check for spoliers if you are stuck in a mission, rather than shutting down the game or running windowed.

I'm curious what it would take to actually get TDM on Steam. Alien Swarm is on, it's free, but it was also built in Hammer/Source Mod...

How do I change my group privacy settings (Public / Invite Only)?

1. Login to your Steam Community Profile.
  2. Select GROUPS and click the Visit admin page link next to the group you wish to edit.
  3. Select the Settings tab and click the circle next to the Group Status option that you would like for your group.
  4. Click Save

if you've lost all your information you should contact steam support http://store.steampowered.com/news/ via support tab on this page. takes them about 3 to 4 days to answer thou.

Edited by stumpy

Launching TDM from Steam does allow you to alt-Tab to the steam overlay though, so while playing you can receive messages/use forums/etc...

That's tremendously useful, especially for non-native-english speakers that have too use a dictionary while playing. Gonna try that. I once also tried to turn the dev team towards adding proper alt+tab support to tdmlauncher.exe, but apparently without much success.

How do I change my group privacy settings (Public / Invite Only)?

1. Login to your Steam Community Profile.

I am not sure if you got the above posts which say that I am having a few, well, troubles, to do this...

Select GROUPS and click the Visit admin page link next to the group you wish to edit.Select the Settings tab and click the circle next to the Group Status option that you would like for your group.Click Save

if you've lost all your information you should contact steam support http://store.steampowered.com/news/ via support tab on this page. takes them about 3 to 4 days to answer thou.

Well, yeah. To post a support question, you have to first create a fucking support account. After jumping through all these hoops of confirming my email blah blah (great, another account I am gonna use only once and have the passwort forgotten in 2 months anyway), I now got another mail (I think it was the third automail) from them:

Hello,
<br />
<br />Thank you for submitting your question to our staff. We will respond to your
question by email.
<br />
<br />Anytime you wish you can view your question online:

I am not sure if they are joking, or if they indeed just sent me a message to tell me that they received a (but not nec. the right!) question from me.

Anyway, now I have to wait a few days, I guess.

I remembered my pw and can now log into my account again. Also, I changed the question to something sensible. Third: Since Tels made me an "officer" of the group (seems to be a 2nd level admin), I have only options for managing group members. Even the web UI offers me only this. So unless Tels gets his account back, this group is practically sealed.

However, another option would be that everyone quits the group. This way, it would automatically be deleted. There's just the slight problem that Tels would need to get his account deleted. Afterwards, Baddcog or I could re-create the group, this time as a public one.

Well, let's see what Tels can accomplish with the Steam support.

witness the first in steam/ in tdm game trouble shooting confernce(i am one had type screws came out of wrist today)

http://steamcommunit...797618599900480

http://steamcommunit...797618599890643

F12 for screens, right to web

notice STiFU's tag says in non steam game The Dark Mod

it chooses name of .exe, but you can change it to whatever

------------

so i think i had no map loaded, maybe fiasco. my first try to load fiasco said can't find exe when it went to restart(i renamed the exe to TheDarkMod.exe(from tdmlauncher) so mnaybe that was it?

but started up tdm regular, loaded. then opened through steam and fiasco loaded right away.

using shift-tab to bring steam overlay automatically brought up objectives, shift-tab to put it away left objectives, tab put them away

it also lets you alt tab throug programs, which you cant do in TDm full screen (i belive), so no need for game tdm and 'editing testing tdm shortcuts/

beware, shift-tab does not stop game, even with objectives up, so don't alt tab if you are not paused or in an unsafe location.

Worked without any problems for me. Initially, I set the game name to "The Dark Mod - A Thieving Mod for Doom 3", leaving all the rest as it was. But then the name of the game wouldn't show up, when I was ingame. So I shortened it and it worked fine. No FM was installed, when I added the game to steam and I could directly use it. Launch the game, installing a FM, restart, play.

Baddcogg and I where just speculating a bit. We think Steam could be very useful in betatesting. I mean, I get that many people are opposed to using Steam, but it could make your beta testing work very smooth. Create a private group for each FM beta test, so that you can have discussions and post the newest download link there et cetera. You can take screenshots ingame and post them to the group and directly write all the problems down ingame, when you see them and if necessary even chat or voice talk. I never knew how complex Steam has become, since I hardly ever used it, so I am rather pleasantly surprised right now.

You can also have multi tabs in the chat box.

So people can tell each other spoilers if stuck, but not spoiler for everyone in a test chat.

You can see if someone is playing or using Dr in fiends list, but unfortunately as it's not a steam game no friends show up when you select tdm in library (just a nice way to see who's online doing what, no biggie)

-------------

I changed exe back to tdmlauncher and it now loads/uninstals,restarts no hitchs.

I'm starting to understand why it's called Steam.

Not read this in detail but can't you create a new group called DarkMod and abandon TheDarkMod - maybe give it a link to the new group? If I was looking for Dark Mod I probably wouldn't look under T anyhow.

In related news the UK National Health Service is going into the cloud so if anyone wants to see a photo of Cameron's arse they probably can one day. You'll probably notice his head is stuck in it.

I just added you three in steam, guys. No Affirmative yet. :)

I didn't get any invite, but I've found you by searching. So you are from Switzerland and have a girl with humongously big tits as your avatar? Shame on you!

No, wait, I just saw that there are several Stifu's in the Steam Community. Okay, added.

I'm starting to understand why it's called Steam.

Not read this in detail but can't you create a new group called DarkMod and abandon TheDarkMod - maybe give it a link to the new group? If I was looking for Dark Mod I probably wouldn't look under T anyhow.

we could, but i figured ThdDarkMod was the natural choice since everthing else is too. I guess Tels had figured the same.

there are 3 'darkmod groups' on steam right now. they come up if i search dark mod or The Dark Mod. a couple others show up beacuse dark is in the description, not name.

dark mod group (the darkest)

team dark mod (tdm)

The Dark Mod (darkmod) - Tels

So we could start DarkMod as a new group. but i think we should wait for some word from Valve first.

maybe I'll start a new one today. got my wrist hardware out so have a few days to chill off work. If Tels does get word that group could be deleted. I think anyone who is on team/contributing could have admin. I don't necessarily want this to be 'my' job ;)

but would be another good place to advertise.

still, i don't see a lot of people searching for it, unless maybe they see links from forum, moddb, etc... but that'll take them to it anyway. plus friend invites, people seeing it being used thru steam...