The Dark Mod Forums

TDM on Steam

Baddcog

The group can't be deleted. It can only be left, and when the last person has left it, the group will automatically be closed. So it all depends on Tels getting his account back.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, here is one thing about Steam that really sucks. It seems to disable my VPN network adapter every now and then. Kind of annoying, especially because I use VPN on a daily basis for synching my thesis-stuff to a server at the university.

I already link the Dark Mod from my profile on Steam - but if we could make a subsitute Dark Mod group if Tels can't get back in - that's great too - if people can search it and it comes up!

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

I haven't heard back from support yet -and I will be offline for the next two weeks. So this has to wait until then.

But then, I haven't logged into my Steam account for nearly 200 days and nobody cared, so what are 14 more days? :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

So I was just happening along and found The Dark Mod website; actually, I remembered the name from awhile back and thought I'd go looking for it again, since I'm dying for another Thief game to come out. I bought Doom 3 specifically to play The Dark Mod, hoping that it would satisfy my need for another Thief game. I do a lot of stuff through Steam (primary source of games nowadays) and wondered how to get it set up, so I came here to the Forums and registered.

I am still in the process of adding/installing The Dark Mod, as it took almost 24 hours just to download 2 GB of files on my sorry internet connection. Maybe I will get it installed sometime in the near future and join you guys on Steam occasionally. I don't have the time to devote to mapping, but can certainly fit in some playing time for TDM, if it's good (hoping it is).

I have yet to figure out the whole Steam username/nickname thing. I registered as Parfocal there (another username I used for a lot of Command & Conquer and Left 4 Dead playing). Have to go to bed now. Can't stay up as late as I used to.

Good news, I got my password reset.

I now accepted the two invites to the group (st and biker) and made you guys officers, too.

Not sure if we really want the group to be public, tho? For now I have made it public, lets see in two weeks it that causes trouble (I doubt it, but you never know). Making it public means anyone can join, and noone can be kicked.

@7upman: Btw, I really dislike your nickname on Steam. The likeness to another more serious name is not something to joke about.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

@7upman: Btw, I really dislike your nickname on Steam. The likeness to another more serious name is not something to joke about.

*sigh* I changed it, just to make you feel better. ^_^ Besides, you are right, it is highly distasteful, which kind of was the whole point.

A nice Tels. Finally! :)

I've sent Sparhawk two emails about this. He responded to the first saying he would look into it, but hasn't responded to my second email about a week ago.

As long as the webpage is down, we should probably just have the domain link to the moddb page. It just can't be offline that long.

So I was just happening along and found The Dark Mod website; actually, I remembered the name from awhile back and thought I'd go looking for it again, since I'm dying for another Thief game to come out. I bought Doom 3 specifically to play The Dark Mod, hoping that it would satisfy my need for another Thief game. I do a lot of stuff through Steam (primary source of games nowadays) and wondered how to get it set up, so I came here to the Forums and registered.

I am still in the process of adding/installing The Dark Mod, as it took almost 24 hours just to download 2 GB of files on my sorry internet connection. Maybe I will get it installed sometime in the near future and join you guys on Steam occasionally. I don't have the time to devote to mapping, but can certainly fit in some playing time for TDM, if it's good (hoping it is).

I have yet to figure out the whole Steam username/nickname thing. I registered as Parfocal there (another username I used for a lot of Command & Conquer and Left 4 Dead playing). Have to go to bed now. Can't stay up as late as I used to.

Hey there, HD! Nice to have you here - like you I'm not confident about mapping, but I appeared to show support and words of encouragement! Glad you persevered through the download - you'll be grateful to see I hope that most of the fan missions are less than 50 megs and some are quite tiny - so I hope you have an OK time getting started!

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

As long as the webpage is down, we should probably just have the domain link to the moddb page. It just can't be offline that long.

It's not the website--you can still access that directly through http://www.mindplaces.com/darkmod/

It's something with Sparhawk's domain, and I have no idea what.

Ah, ok. I thought it was an issue with the host rather than with the domain. Ok then, I guess we just have to wait. If he doesn't contact you anytime soon, maybe somebody of us Germans could try to call him in order to see what's what.

Hit Deity,

Good to see you come to the dark side ;) This is the HD from TTLG right? (Schwaa here).

I think you'll enjoy the Fm's quite a bit, some great stuff so far and just getting better. In fact I'd say this year they are really taking off in quality where before it was just a few people getting to know the editor and whatnot (though there were some good releases before too).

I don't think we'll ever see a Darkmod forum at Steam forums. They just have forums for games that are released on Steam. So TDM stuff would fall under Doom3 most likely. A couple of us have plugged TDM a little bit in the Thief forums, but since it's not a Thief game mod...

We should also 'friend up', I play L4D2 quite a bit but also have 1 that I was given not too long ago, but have only played a few rounds in.

----------

As far as the group goes,

Tels, you should accept my invite (Big Bad Voodoo Daddy) and also make me an officer, it was my idea to get this going after all ;)

There's no reason not to have it public. The only drawback is having too many members. ???

Only officers can make posts/announcements, and the more people that are in the public group the more announcements get out there.

I figure I'll make a small post every time an FM is released and we could make an announcement with it. So everyone in group gets a pop-up : New TDM Fan Mission : blah blah

Of course any members can comment, but I don't think people will join just to make bad comments. And most likely people will only find the group by people sending invites to join.

-----------

I figure the main things the group needs atm is a link to these forums and moddb page.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Tels, you should accept my invite (Big Bad Voodoo Daddy) and also make me an officer, it was my idea to get this going after all ;)

There's no reason not to have it public.

Dude, not only is the group public already, but Tels already made you an officer yesterday, iirc. Also, if you buy Counter-Strike: Source, you'll be able to play with me and STiFU and some of my friends from another group. We play the GunGame variant quite regularly.

Every six months or so I get the urge to play something mindless, and wind up playing the GunGame CS servers.

Dude, not only is the group public already, but Tels already made you an officer yesterday, iirc. Also, if you buy Counter-Strike: Source, you'll be able to play with me and STiFU and some of my friends from another group. We play the GunGame variant quite regularly.

Well, I read that he changed it to public, but if you read his message he seems to be on the line whether or not it should stay that way.

Also, he said he accepted 2 invites but not mine, and I'm not at home so couldn't look.

Hit Deity,

Good to see you come to the dark side wink.gif This is the HD from TTLG right? (Schwaa here).

The one and the same, unfortunately. ;)

I remember ya, jk ( ;) )

Friend me up sometime on Steam. Try Parfocal, or Hit Deity. Original name is Parfocal, but current nick is HD. Not sure which one will work, and someone said using real names here was taboo or something (maybe it was a personal request). Heck, I don't know. Call me ignorant of such things and I won't disagree with you, because I'm a noob through and through. So, set me straight, and I will learn as I go...I usually pick things up pretty quick but please don't assume I automatically know something: I have three "Friends" on Steam, and I'm blood-related to 100% of them, so I hope that helps explain some things.

Will PM all further personal info. Don't want to hijack this thread. Later.

Well, I read that he changed it to public, but if you read his message he seems to be on the line whether or not it should stay that way.

Sorry, must have missed that part.

Also, he said he accepted 2 invites but not mine, and I'm not at home so couldn't look.

No worries, man. You are an officer and I intent you to stay that way. ^^

Every six months or so I get the urge to play something mindless, and wind up playing the GunGame CS servers.

It's exactly that: fast-paced, mindless fun without any strategy or discernible tactics. Every once in a while this is really fun. Otherwise, I prefer my standard maps, mentioned somewhere above. Playing slowly is more my cup of tea.

Edited by 7upMan

Yeah I've been spreading the word around some thief sites, including the members of the thief 4 forum, and moddb. This latest version really fixes my issue with the game. You guys really deserve as many thief fans as possible backing you up. Now is better time then ever, especially considering Doom 3 can be gotten for $20 on steam (I got it for $5 on a weekend sale).

I've joined the group, and first time I've added a non-steam game to me list, changed the shortcut name from tdmlauncher.exe to The Dark Mod.

Congrats for everyone who has contributed and stuck with TDM.

Edited by TheUnbeholden

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OK, posted announce about the contest.

Also hit up all my friends who own Thief3 and Doom3 and sent invites to the TDM group. I guess that's a good way to get people who are interested in Thief or already have Doom3 involved.