The Dark Mod Forums

Any Artists Out There?

Glyph Seeker

I am what people would call an artist, I've been drawing and painting (more recently) my whole life. Gaming related, I've been a conceptual artist before, but my latest work (digital stuff) was done for the "In remembrance of him" briefing illustrations:

77482403.jpg

remembrance04.jpg

shot00018nq.jpg

This last one was a test for another project, ended up not being used.

• Like 3

The first two are incredibly well-made, I like them a lot. I wish I could draw/paint like that...

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

I'm not much of an artist. Playing piano is more my passion.

But I keep a sketchbook with me and like to draw things in it sometimes.

2rggvma.jpg

2dv4q5z.jpg

• Like 1

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Actually, I'm wondering what the intention was too. Not in a judgemental way, just wondering. Looks more like it was supposed to be a glamour shot. Slightly homoerotic perhaps. Portrait of older brother maybe? But yeah, I am slightly confused by it. What is going on there?

Anyone who makes pictures is awesome in my book.

It looks like somebody that loves animals photoshopping in a hunter with his catch and animals stalking him to teach him a lesson about cruelty. But it doesn't look artistic so much as a generic photo taken off the internet somewhere. IMO it needs more art direction, some more bold design features that direct what your eye is supposed to be looking at and what the message is. It needs to look *created*, if that makes sense. Maybe a headline? But it depends on the use. How much like a poster do you want it, how much like an indie art project? This is just my first gut opinion though, of course.

• Like 1

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Hmm I get what you guys mean. I'll have to try it, but I don't want to go in a painterly style or bring in spiritual / magical things in it. It should remain as a photo. I already made some new changes to the deer hunter so that he does fit better into the scene. Hmmm...

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I quite like it. The space is cramped and cold and feel apropriate. From personal taste, and because I mostly wrok with light and shadows, I would like to have a picture where the charcter is inside the shadows, specially since the light comes from behind - maybe a reflex would throw light to the place we want to see, her eyes and expressions, but the body is in shadows, against light.

Good job.. I really like some tricks, like the colours, faces, detail (1:40-1:50), fire, smoke at the end.. But the blur on sides (0:46, 0:51 for example) dont fit in my opinion.

Perfect job=) And good music. I understand a bit=)

He was sneeking silently in the night, moonlight was his enemy.

(Im not a native speaker, sorry for all miscleanous caused by my english..)

@ RPGista - thanks for the hint, I udnerstand what you mean. I'll try to make it this way and see how it looks - good idea!

@ Arcturus - pretty f*cked up music (in a good way). It's really catchy and dirty. And wtf I didn't know this is possible in Blender. How long did the video post editing take you?

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

The whole thing took me 1,5 month. There's a video sequence editor in Blender which works like a usual video editing program:

post-2001-0-39273100-1363629661_thumb.png

Using node editor you can create practically endless chains of filters:

post-2001-0-12999900-1363629784_thumb.png

And what's great about Blender is that you can animate almost any value with key frames:

post-2001-0-62167400-1363629851_thumb.png

There's also a movie clip editor where you can stabilize movies (you can see that when camera follows someone's head) and make animated masks (you can see that in couple of shots). Some time took me recreating the scene in 3d and animating the characters. I made the whole scene in 3d to achieve realistic shadows and reflections which in the end aren't even visible. Rendering fire was cumbersome because I had to render each character separately for performance reasons (and each reflection separately). Originally I wanted the whole place to burn but the frame is too tight so I only did this one shot.

post-2001-0-74357000-1363630892_thumb.png

Hm, did forum automatically resized images? The weights are the same.

• Like 1

It's only a model...

I made the whole scene in 3d

Luckily the video wasn't recorded on a boat! In front of an Island! With lots of trees and buildings on it! In a lava sea! On top of a vulcano! In space!

:D

• 1 month later...

Thanks! Bumpmap is mostly procedural. I've used voronoi texture to simulate a look of a forged metal. Also cloud textures, low and high scale. And on top of that there is a painted image for scratches. Unlike in doom 3 where all textures have to use one uv map, in Blender and other programs each texture can have different texture coordinates, uv map or automatically generated. Here's a wire frame:

torchwireframe.jpg

• Like 1

It's only a model...

Thanks! Bumpmap is mostly procedural. I've used voronoi texture to simulate a look of a forged metal. Also cloud textures, low and high scale. And on top of that there is a painted image for scratches. Unlike in doom 3 where all textures have to use one uv map, in Blender and other programs each texture can have different texture coordinates, uv map or automatically generated. Here's a wire frame:

torchwireframe.jpg

Coolest torch! TDM conversion maybe?

What excuse do we have not to sculpt, and sculpt, and sculpt, until the job is done?

• 8 months later...

Hi, here's my new Christmas song. Holidays are over but I didn't manage to finish it on time. It's in Polish but English captions are available (there may be lot of mistakes though).

Czerstwiaki (The Stalers) is a satirical music channel on Youtube on which I re-record and publish my old stupid songs that I wrote years ago. Lyrics are written by me and a friend of mine. All the videos are created with Blender.

It's only a model...

• 2 weeks later...