The Dark Mod Forums

Any Artists Out There?

Glyph Seeker

Not that its of any import but in 3rd grade we all had to draw self portraits of ourselves by looking in the mirror and when we turned them in to our teacher, my teacher thought my parents had helped me with mine... she made me stay in during recess and do it again, what a bitch. Won both the art and computer awards in elementary school (back in the Mbasic Dos days) and went on to 7th/8th grade where, in our art class, I would finish prior to others finishing and did a portrait of a girl in class.

This other kid in my class could also draw really well and had a much more playful, animated style. I think he became an artist, not sure. I never really did much of any drawing after that save for a tattoo arm band and back tattoo for one of my friends. :\

Feels like a waste though I do still like computers.

apologies for the size.

kHo4j8Q.jpg

Edited by Lux

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Looks great. You really captured his emotion.

Reminds me that oddity did some nice sculpture inspired modeling in his day. It's a good fit for sculpting software, of course.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

That's an excellent piece of work. Until I saw the video, it was hard to tell if you meant digital, or some kind of IRL sculpture. (The background drapes give it away, but the sculpture itself is very lifelike!)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Fantastic work! That's one of a very few famous Berninis that I haven't seen, what with it being hidden away in the Spanish embassy most of the time. I've spent years visiting the others and the friend who I travel with has licked his tomb! Great job on the bust.

Heh. I just wonder when people have household 3d-printers (or nearby printing houses) and they can download busts like that from the net, press a button, have a coffee break and have new piece of kick-ass interior decoration. That would make an ultra-cool hat stand. (my apologies to all art-lovers, I'm just practical.)

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Really looking forward to adjust the inside of my future house to look like a 70's space station.

"My milkshake bringeth all ye gentlefolk to the yard. Verily 'tis better than thine, I would teach thee, but I must levy a fee."

"When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York I told him that man is like the coral insect—designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moon to delight in after he is dead."

https://soundcloud.com/paralytik

the friend who I travel with has licked his tomb!

The what? :D

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Whoa man, thats really amazing, some unbelievable sculpting skills... The face is very expressive, in a relatable way, thats not easy to achieve at all. So this is way beyond mastering blender, its about capturing that emotion which is the coolest/hardest part of painting or sculpting or writting... Pretty awesome, hope you carry on with more work like this.

• 2 months later...

Nice looking! Can you make it low poly as an TDM asset please? Would look nice in some manor missions or as a special mission quest target :)

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Very good models. Tried sculpting in blender and it is not easy... Any good guides to make it as easy as possible?

Thank you. Start with little resolution and when you have basic shape right then add details. Get a tablet, if you don't have one. Learn anatomy, study nature and works of others. Here's a video about anatomy of the head made by an old Darkmod contributor:

Nice looking! Can you make it low poly as an TDM asset please? Would look nice in some manor missions or as a special mission quest target :)

Thanks. I'm sorry, but no.

Edited by Arcturus
  • Like 1

It's only a model...

He can answer for himself but just looking at the situation...

First off, he's selling it. Its whole value is in its exclusivity to buyers. So he can't just give it away at the same time.

He's a friend of TDM, to be sure, but that doesn't mean he owes us any special obligation as an artist.

Aside from that, I hear it's almost as much work to scale a model down to low-poly as it is to just make a low-poly model from scratch. If we want more sculptures for TDM, people should make them directly for TDM from the start. That's not what this was done for, and it's sort of unreasonable to expect it to be crammed into that role after so much work has already been poured into it for another. But it can be great inspiration for others wanting to take up that task.

• Like 1

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Busts are for sale and it's going to stay that way for now. Making game models out of them wouldn't take as much time, but it's still couple of hours of work. You need to make several LOD copies, bake textures, write materials, test models in game, etc.

Edited by Arcturus

It's only a model...

The sad truth about 3d modelling is that your first works will suck. Look at my sad beginnings. It's important to set up camera properly. Default lens value at 35 distorts view. I would set it much higher. Are you using dyntopo? The face looks flat. It probably should be more round.

It's only a model...