The Dark Mod Forums

Before installing TDM, do I need to remove Resurrection of Evil somehow?

Hit Deity

I have seen a lot of problems posted about the expansion pack Resurrection of Evil (RoE). Is there something I should do before I install TDM? I don't need anymore aggravation in my life, if I can avoid it. Didn't know if maybe someone had decided RoE was better off left out of the picture, so to speak.

The FAQ just says something like "TDM won't work with RoE". I have D3 and RoE through Steam. Getting rid of RoE will be difficult, if not undesirable. Thanks for the help....

Edited by Hit Deity

I don't know about the steam version but the expansion pack is in a separate directory like any other mod. I have it installed and no problems with it. But I can't say wether that's different on steam.

RoE corrupts TDM only if the files are in the same directory, one of the RoE files that contains def files loads after the TDM file that contains its def files, and overwrites those files making TDM crash with an error when it comes to loading TDM maps at the object stage of the load.

I suggest an update, because it was because of the FAQ that I became concerned. I get frustrated and fed up with having to "fix" stuff after the fact, and all it took was a little bit of prevention and foresight to avoid problems.

Still waiting to install TDM...

From my understanding, ROE adds override pk4's to the Doom 3 base. I'm not sure if launching TDM via the Mods menu in Doom 3 bypasses some of the compatibility problems but anything that is native Doom 3 that is replaced by ROE could potentially conflict. I was thinking that a potential workaround would be to place ZZZ in front of all the TDM PK4's. (Like zzz_tdm_textures01.pk4 etc).

Or move all the ROE material into it's own Mod folder...

AluminumHaste, can you clarify how your Doom 3 base directory is arranged?

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Where are the installation instructions for TDM? Am I just blind?

One entry in the FAQ says to be sure to create a shortcut on my desktop and put in -applaunch 9050 etc,etc, but then another entry says to be sure to run TDMlauncher directly from the Doom3 folder.

• Important: Create a shortcut on your desktop and set it to the following:
  • steam.exe -applaunch 9050 +set fs_game_base darkmod
  • This ensures that when you start Steam, it will launch TDM and not Doom 3 without TDM.

and then...

• You MUST use doom3\darkmod\tdmlauncher.exe to run Dark Mod in Windows and NOT Doom3.exe.

I'm just going to start randomly clicking on stuff and hope it works...here goes!!

Well, there's really not much you can do wrong. The installation process of TDM is simply copying the darkmod folder in your Doom 3 directory and after that, you'll just have to figure out how to launch it. For the non-steam version, you use tdmlauncher.exe and for the steam version, you create the shortcut as quoted above. Since you have downloaded TDM anyway already, you can just go ahead and try it. You won't destroy your D3 installation or anything by doing so. In the case where RoE has really overwritten some vanilla D3 files (as nbohr suggested), there is the chance you won't be able to run TDM, but apparently there's nothing you can do about that besides getting a regular copy of D3. So just go ahead and try and tell us how it worked out.

From my understanding, ROE adds override pk4's to the Doom 3 base. I'm not sure if launching TDM via the Mods menu in Doom 3 bypasses some of the compatibility problems but anything that is native Doom 3 that is replaced by ROE could potentially conflict. I was thinking that a potential workaround would be to place ZZZ in front of all the TDM PK4's. (Like zzz_tdm_textures01.pk4 etc).

Or move all the ROE material into it's own Mod folder...

AluminumHaste, can you clarify how your Doom 3 base directory is arranged?

My laptop is in the car at the moment and I won't be taking it out until I get to work later on tonight, but I'll take a look. :)

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

All right, I picked the steam.exe shortcut option and it worked fine. Installed the Training mission, then it ran just fine. A little slow, but it ran fine. I'm only getting ~30 FPS in the Training mission, whereas Doom 3 ran at ~60. Turned off some graphics options (well, dumbed them down) and still get 30 FPS. I hope that's not its "regular speed", because even when it hits ~60 FPS (when I'm looking at a single wall with no detail, let's say) it's still "choppy". Not fun to play like that...

Will experiment some more....

The trainingmission is actually one of the less taxing missions, sorry. TDM is quite a bit more costly as far as performance is concerned than D3 is. But regarding the chopiness, I had that issue too. Eventually I discovered that enabling vertical sync and triple buffering in the driver settings helps a lot. I should note however, that not everybody was successful using this approach.

Doom 3 has a 60 frame cap built in, so make sure VSync is turned off.

EDIT: Okay that was badly explained. Vsync will halve your frame rate if it can't match your monitor's refresh rate and because doom3 has built in 60 FPs cap, AFAIK if DOOM3 can't do 60 fps, you get 30.

And as STiFU pointed out, if you have VSync on your should for sure user triple buffering so isntead of 1/2 your frame rate it will 1/3 it lol.

And as STiFU pointed out, if you have VSync on your should for sure user triple buffering so isntead of 1/2 your frame rate it will 1/3 it lol.

:blink: You completely lost me there. The first part: ok. But I should or shouldn't use triple buffering?

:blink: You completely lost me there. The first part: ok. But I should or shouldn't use triple buffering?

ONLY if you have VSync turned ON. If you turn VSync off, then it doesn't matter if you use double or triple buffering as it only affects Vsync

AH, you should really read up on triplebuffering and vsync. Triple buffering is a big improvement over double buffering, as it optimizes the workload of the gpu and its only downsides are that you need a 50% bigger framebuffer and that you may experience an additional maximum lag of 1 frame due to the vsync, which would be 0.01 seconds on a regular 60 Hz TFT.

To sum it up, you won't reduce your fps to 1/2 or even 1/3 simply by activating vsync and tripple buffering. Just try it. For some people, including me, it improved smoothness of TDM by a huge amount and it totally makes sense too. Triple buffering ensures the maximum performance of your gfx card, because the device won't run into idle mode then, as opposed to when double buffering is used. As a result, the likeliness for stuttering is reduced and due to the vsync, the framerate will be a lot more regular.

AH, you should really read up on triplebuffering and vsync. Triple buffering is a big improvement over double buffering, as it optimizes the workload of the gpu and its only downsides are that you need a 50% bigger framebuffer and that you may experience an additional maximum lag of 1 frame due to the vsync, which would be 0.01 seconds on a regular 60 Hz TFT.

To sum it up, you won't reduce your fps to 1/2 or even 1/3 simply by activating vsync and tripple buffering. Just try it. For some people, including me, it improved smoothness of TDM by a huge amount and it totally makes sense too. Triple buffering ensures the maximum performance of your gfx card, because the device won't run into idle mode then, as opposed to when double buffering is used. As a result, the likeliness for stuttering is reduced and due to the vsync, the framerate will be a lot more regular.

HUH? From what I've read vsync syncs frame output to match your monitor refresh, so if if your monitor is 60hz then GPU will only output 60 FPS, if for some reason it can't do 60 FPS your frame rate will drop to 30 FPS.

EDIT: okay I just read this up on wiki, I see what you are saying. I didn't know that triple buffering could be used all the time even without vertical sync. I always get less lag and "choppiness" when I turn Vsync off though.

A more important consideration:

Make sure that your DoomConfig.cfg (in your Darkmod directory) has these values set correctly:

image_usePrecompressedTextures "1"
image_useNormalCompression "2"
image_useAllFormats "1"
image_useCompression "1"
image_preload "1"

In version v1.04 the values were changed in an attempt to reduce map load times. Not having the settings as above will cause the game to consume much more graphic RAM.

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)