The Dark Mod Forums

implementing own textures

If you want the PREMIUM (overkill) result, you could do what Arcturus does and model the shape in Sculptris. ^_^

(Though, with your patch skills, you could probably even make a model out of patches in Dark Radiant... :laugh: )

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, for quick normalmapping njob is really good, you really cant do anything wrong...if you want to have more options use crazybump or shadermappro (both cost...shadermappro less than crazybump)

because of the few options, detailed textures shouldnt normalmaped with njob or later overlapped with handmade normals...

but for "standard"textures njob is REALLY good (good filters) and fast (few click)...

sorry for that SH

its fine

PS

ive created normal map for ground textue,but i think it looks bad (maybe texture is lowres ?)

shot00032yu.jpg

\\

also mine another normal map making real photo looks ugly

(yes,that picture,lol,don't mind it,it was just for test )

shot00034g.jpg

Proceed with caution!

here a complete self made one.took the photos of 4 different woodparts on my own, brang them together ...

maybe i should change the colour a bit / create 2 or 3 colours

and get down some reflection

post-3575-1309378189_thumb.jpg

also took some other photos of another wood...will do that next days

Edited by Johannes Burock

That looks AMAZING!!!!

The reflection is probably part due to the close proximity of the light source and the was the new interaction shader processes Fresnel effect. You might be able to tone it down by using a very low (almost black) grey texture for the specular map if you are already using _black (etc).

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

thanks SH and nbohr1more

the problm is that it looks a bit unsharp...the org photos ide taken have 12MP for every photo, after bringing the woodparts together it was ~8000 x 2000 pix and after downscaling to 2048x1024 it got unsharp...there is clearly a leak of knowledge in image editing...

I'm asuming you use Photoshop and then you should:

- Resize to double the size you want (if you're texture isn't smaller than that already) you should also change the interpolation from (probably) Bicubic Smoother to Bicupic Sharper before you press Ok in the Image Size window.

- If necessary sharpen it with Filter>Sharpen>Unsharp mask till you're happy with the results.

- Repeat the first step but resize it to the size you want the texture to be finally.

Also when you're dealing with normalsmaps it is often a good idea to blur and overlay copies of it on top of eachother to add some more depth to it and if it get's too strong just make a new layer above it with a solid "#7f7fff" color that you adjust the opacity of till it looks good enough.

thanks Nosslak, tested this and got two results (one grey and one brown, same wood / normal)

but because of the light the different colour is nearly not to realize...but the structure is good to see

post-3575-130941935323_thumb.jpg

post-3575-130941937303_thumb.jpg

Edited by Johannes Burock

They look a lot like plastic (easy to do with D3).

Are you doing this as a learning exercise? I thought we already had textures quite similar to those.