The Dark Mod Forums

The Dark Mod Standalone (Doom3 not required)

darkdude

Yeah, what we called TDM-lite in another thread. That has its own value.

Anyway, it seems this kind of project should go on separate from the official mod in any event, and IMO it should be mostly about laying the groundwork for the open source version to come.

But for that matter, that groundwork could be laid just with the normal Doom3 exe (esp since the license for the demo apparently doesn't make it any more legit than vanilla D3). It's even better to work with normal D3 now since that's what we'd want to use in the end anyway. When idtech4 goes open source there's no reason to rest on the demo anymore, and it's not even that much longer to wait. So messing with the demo now is kind of a detour. I understand it'd let people play TDM now just from downloading the demo (is that it?). But if a *lot* of work is going to be put into it, they could go ahead and start working to make vanilla Doom3 standalone right now (locally, & separate from the main mod) in anticipation of the final legit product and that'd be better in the end.

True, but if we use what the thread starter has done here as a basis, we have already a headstart. (if it works with the demo, it works with vanilla doom). In fact, I should probably try and see if I can slim it down any further, and see whats missing to get FMs working, then we have a solid grasp on what needs replacing for when D3 goes open source. Wether we *can* replace all that is a different issue, getting the definite list of assets would be a first step.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But if a *lot* of work is going to be put into it, they could go ahead and start working to make vanilla Doom3 standalone right now

Yes, "they" could always go ahead and start working on it. That's been true for the three (or more) years that this idea has been bandied around. While talking about it seems popular, I have yet to see anyone who actually has the necessary skills take an interest in it. :P

So this just deals with textures? Not the models, md5meshes, animations, sounds, particle effects, and .af files? Does it remove the D3 textures that are used on models? Does it address the ones that have been renamed?

No I removed the models, md5meshes, anims, all sounds, not all particle effects and I think I got rid of the af files too

Edited by darkdude

I am uploading a patch soon for this. Most FMs should work and the files such as doom_events are removed.

Also from before I did update the demo to 1.3.1 and in the patch I have updated it even further but my upload is really slow so it might take a while.

For those doubting I did this in under two days:

This wasn't really hard. I only updated to 1.3.1 for the demo and removed most of the demo content so the file would be small and so ID's content wasn't there. I then zipped it and uploaded it to megaupload then posted it here. But today I realised it crashed when you tried to play an FM so the patch I'm uploading will fix that.

EDIT:

No I removed the models, md5meshes, anims, all sounds, not all particle effects and I think I got rid of the af files too

You removed them from the demo or you removed them from TDM?

I am uploading a patch soon for this. Most FMs should work

Not if you removed all the D3 assets they won't. At least half of the maps (probably more) should immediately crash because they're missing .md5anim or .md5mesh files. If they don't, then you haven't removed the D3 assets distributed by TDM.

You're also missing a lot of sounds. We have dozens of soundshaders like small_metal_impact that point to D3 sounds. Possibly even OGGs that don't appear in the demo version.

The reasonable way around this is that I (or some other contributor) record replacements and commit them to the TDM trunk.

Sounds and textures aside, you've also included an interaction shader that's conflicting with TDM's. There are some other shaders you've included, like heatHaze that conflict with TDM's.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

EDIT:

Is this a complete new version, or just a patch to the old version?

Also, you (or should be able) can remove this file:

* doom_main.script (we are using a different main script called tdm_main.script)

* doom_defs.script (we are using these definitions plus our own in tdm_defs.script)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

You're also missing a lot of sounds. We have dozens of soundshaders like small_metal_impact that point to D3 sounds. Possibly even OGGs that don't appear in the demo version.

Yes, textures and sounds are numerous, but probably the easiest to replace. The hardest things are models (with high poly normalmaps), ragdolls, animations and particles. As far as I know I'm the only animator and character modeler we've got now, and I couldn't replace all the assets we need even if I wanted to attempt such a thankless task.

I am uploading a new version soon the new version is NOT a patch and is a standalone program I finally removed doom_events and weapon_handgrenade but I don't know what the name of the character bloodsplash is (not the bloodwound the splash) so blood is temporarily disabled. AIs now appear in FMs (my fault they disappeared). This version is 1.2

You removed them from the demo or you removed them from TDM?

The demo

So even if it works, we're still releasing plenty of D3 assets in the actual mod itself.

EDIT: Most people think you need the doom3 demo for this you don't need the demo. AT ALL. this is standalone so no other downloads except the dark mod's game files are needed.

Can you please explain this? Are you just bundling the D3 demo and darkmod files together?

Can you please explain this?

I think he means that all we need is his package + the TDM files. As such, it does work...although I haven't tried the latest version to see if the AI are back.

It's a cool little proof of concept though.

As for another animator, I might have just met someone here at work interesting in helping out. Fresh out of design school, familiar with animating in Maya and also knows how to use After Effects...which could come in handy for briefings.

oh ok. Anyway here's a non-ftp link: http://www.gamefront.com/files/3856632/d3_1.3_sdk.exe

We already have this. :) It has been available for years. The full Doom 3 source code won't be available until after id Software releases Rage, which probably means 2012.

While we appreciate the effort you have put into this project of yours, there are legal issues that, quite frankly, put our Mod in danger.

Primarily, your project alters the Doom 3 Demo, which violates id software's terms of use.

It's a cool proof of concept, but it should not be distributed publicly. My fear is that it will lead to a cease and desist order, linked to us, and they will order the entire mod shut down. Certainly not something I want to see after the team spending 6 years of hard work on this project.

All I modified was the demo00.pk4 the other files were either replaced with 1.3.1's files or deleted entirely.

:laugh: What am I not getting through to you here? Whether it's a dozen files, or one file, it's a violation of the 'terms' set forth by id software. You have to own Doom 3 to play The Dark Mod because Dark Mod requires the Doom3.exe to work! It doesn't matter if you're stripping assets out, the executable is the doom 3 engine. It's illegal to redistribute it for free, whole or in part. So, now you're also saying that you replaced the demo files with files from the commercial game? That's even worse.

Until id software releases the FULL source code, we will honor their terms of use. There is really no other way around it. The Dark Mod uses many assets from Doom 3. I've tested your file and there are many particles or sounds missing.

If we were to get a cease and desist order because of this stand alone package, which clearly violates the terms of service, can we count on you to pay our legal bills? Probably not.

Missions are not going to work correctly with it due to the many assets we share with Doom 3 anyway, so we can't even give players technical support if they were to use it.

With that in mind. Would you to kindly remove all trace of this file please.

All I modified was the demo00.pk4 the other files were either replaced with 1.3.1's files or deleted entirely.

Dear Mr. darkdude,

You're doing a dumb, dangerous thing. :angry: Please cease and desist. You don't want Bethesda/iD lawyers shutting down TDM.

Cordially,

The Dark Mod Team.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair