The Dark Mod Forums

Writer-For-Hire

Ziggun

Greetings and salutations, everyone! I am an amateur writer from the bikini beaches of Sweden. A fan of Thief lore and setting(and thus, by extension, TDM), I now offer up my services as a writer-for-hire, provided sufficient food can be found. No mushrooms accepted. No, not even the funky kind. At any rate, I am somewhat busy with writing projects these days, so I will be very cautious in accepting work. However, rest assured that if I'm onboard, then I'm bloody well there until you pry my cold, dead fingers off the keyboard.

As for past work. Not much in the terms of modding, but I did assist Fieldmedic in his latest level and, gods be good, will do so in any future projects of his. So if you want a sample, scuttle off to check his work out. ;)

//Ziggun

- Writer Ascendant >

Welcome! :) You might want to check out the Dark Mod Universe

Also maybe consider reviewing our tutorial and build your own FM around your own story? Or maybe just learn to produce readables game text in Dark Radiant readables editor. That way you could produce books, scrolls, sheets prefabs the mapper could just insert in his FM where needed. Then there's objectives and briefings texts which are also story related... All things useful for you to know if you want give story support. :)

Also perhaps consider posting in our editing forum as a service to mappers who might need help with story and text.

Thanks for the warm welcome, Fidcal! Fieldmedic just keeps tearing me apart >_>

I've been snooping around the TDM Universe for some time, soaking up information. I especially like what you guys did with the pagans. So much more to work with now!

As for your suggestions, aye, I've been considering latching onto a map-in-progress to aid with readibles and briefings. But I also have a map on my own that I am slowly gathering compatriots for. Let's just say that it'll be a soaring success if all goes well :)

- Writer Ascendant >

Sounds good, Ziggun - some maps are spoiled by having bad readables, so here's hoping for some good collaborations on your part! =-3

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

• 1 month later...

"That way you could produce books, scrolls, sheets prefabs the mapper could just insert in his FM where needed. "

I like this idea, it would be cool if the world had its repository of popular books, so copies of them could be found in several FMs..Could make a nice connection between maps, maybe even inspire one to find more volumes of the same book in other maps. Not to mention finally libraries would have readable books that are not neceserraly connected with the particular FM.

Yes - I rather like the idea of having some passages of the Book of Amos or Apocrypha of Marcus handy to flesh out some of the Builder's lessons...

Or perhaps a bestiary of sorts to suggest things about the World at Large.

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

After a long hibernation and many months of hard work, it seems that I will finally have some free time to spare once more. Not only that, but I have been hard at work crafting a map inside my mind. That is, plot, flow and layout. From the looks of most maps, it promises to be a rather unique experience. I'd rather be vague, as I would hate to spoil its content. But if any map-makers are interested in doing a joint project with a hungry Swedish writer, then don't hesitate to chat me up.

- Writer Ascendant >

After a long hibernation and many months of hard work, it seems that I will finally have some free time to spare once more. Not only that, but I have been hard at work crafting a map inside my mind. That is, plot, flow and layout. From the looks of most maps, it promises to be a rather unique experience. I'd rather be vague, as I would hate to spoil its content. But if any map-makers are interested in doing a joint project with a hungry Swedish writer, then don't hesitate to chat me up.

While I think it would be prohibitive expensive if I shipped you food to Sweden, I think you might help us, anyway :) If you are a native Swede, how about translating TDM into Swedish?

See http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/12863-translating-the-tdm-gui/page__view__findpost__p__261121 for reference - and if you want to be onboard, I'll send you a PM with instructions.

It's not as sexy as writing entire new books, but it is also a lot less work :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I've always loved the short stories in the books in Morrowind and Oblivion - maybe you could write some things like that, that include lore and things from the Dark Mod universe

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

I've always loved the short stories in the books in Morrowind and Oblivion - maybe you could write some things like that, that include lore and things from the Dark Mod universe

Oh yes, sitting down in Morrowind/Oblivion and reading the books by a fire was fun, I'd love to be able to do that in TDM.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

EVE Online has this too. They have an entire section on their website with short stories from the EVE universe. Always a good read.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

How are you at writing dialogue? I wouldn't mind a break from writing vocal scripts.

One thing we could use is a vocal set for skilled thieves. We have a crude hoodlum/thug set, but nothing really appropriate for a skilled burglar or smuggler. The character would be lower class and not well educated, but would be confident and experienced. The wiki might have useful info about TDM thieves: http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Thieves

Here is one of our vocal scripts so you can see what kinds of lines are needed:

__Script Outline for The Dark Mod Characters__

Tone and Attitude

The Dark Mod strives to have a somewhat dark, gritty, and believable tone. Characters should avoid dramatic clichés and dialogue that sounds like sitcom humour. Characters should react with genuine emotion and in ways that make sense given their personality and education level.

Dialogue should be generally modern, North American English, but with a slight renaissance flavour. The more educated the character, the more renaissance-speak is appropriate. Avoid modern-sounding words and phrases (eg, "What's up?" "See you later" or "I'm going to kick your ass"). But at the same time, this isn't Shakespeare--the dialogue has to sound fairly natural to modern English speakers.

AI STATES: Relaxed

Relaxed, Idle: You're relaxed and going about your regular business. If you’re a guard, you aren’t expecting any trouble and may not even be on patrol at the moment. You’re talking to yourself, so lines should be delivered in a low tone of voice, and punctuated with sighs, pauses and muttering.

tdm_ai_bossy_idle01 “What am I supposed to do, not say anything? It’s not my fault I’m right.”

tdm_ai_bossy_idle02 [muttered] “I care too much, that’s my problem. I need to just relax.”

tdm_ai_bossy_idle03 “No one else takes any notice of it, so why should I?”

tdm_ai_bossy_idle04 “He doesn’t need to put in quite so much spice. Black Pepper isn’t cheap, you know. And none of the servants would know the difference anyway.”

tdm_ai_bossy_idle05 “It’s no wonder they’re always half drunk. I told him to put a lock on the wine cellar, but did he listen?”

tdm_ai_bossy_idle06 “Why don’t they ever tell me when they’re going out for a game? They always seem to look everywhere else but where I am.”

tdm_ai_bossy_idle07 [shivering] “’tis far too cold for this time of year. I knew I should have worn the heavier tunic.”

tdm_ai_bossy_idle08 “If he would only read the works of Euclides, he would see that I was right all along. Why must he be so stubborn?”

tdm_ai_bossy_idle09 “It’s not going to end well. He could never resist a new, pretty face. [sigh] I warned them both…”

tdm_ai_bossy_idle10 “I’ve completely lost track of the time. I hope they haven’t left yet.”

tdm_ai_bossy_idle11 “If this gets much worse I’m going to have to do something about it.”

tdm_ai_bossy_idle12-19

Throat clearing/ coughs x3

Sighs x2 (you’ve had a long day)

Humming and/or whistling an idle tune x2

Sneeze x1

Relaxed, Armed: You’re an armed combatant. You may be a guard on patrol, or just a regular townsfolk with a weapon. Either way, you’re not expecting any trouble, but are ready to defend yourself if necessary. You are talking to yourself about your shift or other combat-related concerns.

Minimum number of wavs: 3

tdm_ai_bossy_idle_guard01 "There should be more guards on patrol tonight. Are they going to wait for someone to break in here before they finally listen?"

tdm_ai_bossy_idle_guard02 “According to the Gazette, the city is crawling with thieves lately. Well, I’m ready if need be.”

tdm_ai_bossy_idle_guard03 “At least things are pretty quiet tonight.”

Reacting to World: You are relaxed, and have just looked at something non-suspicious, like a book, or a card, or your reflection in a mirror. You make a grunt or comment, either pleased or not. Currently these lines are used primarily for AI playing cards—they make a comment after looking at their new card. They should be delivered without too much emotion.

tdm_ai_bossy_reaction01 “Aww.” [annoyed]

tdm_ai_bossy_reaction02 “Hmm?”

tdm_ai_bossy_reaction03 “I knew it.”

tdm_ai_bossy_reaction04 “Heh heh.”

tdm_ai_bossy_reaction05 “Fine.”

AI STATES: Alert

These barks are meant to indicate that the AI has seen or heard something.

Observant: You notice something subtle but aren’t sure what it is. You are talking to yourself, so you should not be particularly loud and may trail off. These lines are generic and do not indicate what kind of stimuli you detected.

tdm_ai_bossy_to_observant01 "Hmm…"

tdm_ai_bossy_to_observant02 “What…?"

tdm_ai_bossy_to_observant03 "What was that?"

Observe a Sound: Same as above, only these lines refer specifically to a sound.

Minimum number of wavs: 2

tdm_ai_bossy_to_observant_heard01 "That’s an odd noise."

tdm_ai_bossy_to_observant_heard02 "What made that sound?"

tdm_ai_bossy_to_observant_heard03 “What’s that sound?”

Observe a Sight: Same as above, only these lines refer specifically to seeing something.

tdm_ai_bossy_to_observant_saw01 "What did I see there?"

tdm_ai_bossy_to_observant_saw02 "That’s an odd shape…"

tdm_ai_bossy_to_observant_saw03 "…Something move?"

Notice Something: You notice something, and it caught your attention enough to warrant checking it out. You’re still not sure what it is, and you’re still mostly talking to yourself.

tdm_ai_bossy_to_searching01 "Hm? That was something."

tdm_ai_bossy_to_searching02 "Hmm…is someone there?"

tdm_ai_bossy_to_searching03 "Well, what was that…"

Notice A Sound: As above, you hear something loud enough to make you want to investigate, even though it’s probably nothing serious.

tdm_ai_bossy_to_searching_heard01 "Is someone making noise over there?"

tdm_ai_bossy_to_searching_heard02 "Where’s that sound coming from?"

Notice A Sight: As above, you see a brief motion in the shadows. Probably nothing, but you should investigate.

tdm_ai_bossy_to_searching_saw01 "What’s that over there?"

tdm_ai_bossy_to_searching_saw02 "Who’s there? Hello?"

tdm_ai_bossy_to_searching_saw03 "Hmm, I thought I saw something…"

Notice A Sound, with company: You hear something loud enough to make you want to investigate, even though it’s probably nothing serious. You tell your friends about it.

tdm_ai_bossy_to_searching_heard_company01 "Listen. Did you hear that?"

tdm_ai_bossy_to_searching_heard_company01 “Shh! I hear something."

Notice A Sight, with company: You see a brief motion in the shadows. Probably nothing, but you should investigate. You tell your friends about it.

tdm_ai_bossy_to_searching_saw_company01 "Look over there. Do you see that?"

tdm_ai_bossy_to_searching_saw_company02 "Do you see anything over there? I thought I saw something move."

Settling Down: You saw or heard something, but you haven’t found anything to worry about. It was probably nothing, and you’re going back to whatever you were doing. These lines are muttered to yourself.

tdm_ai_bossy_alertdown_to_idle01 "Ah well.... nothing to worry about now."

tdm_ai_bossy_alertdown_to_idle02 "Just the wind, I guess.”

tdm_ai_bossy_alertdown_to_idle03 "I knew it was probably nothing.”

tdm_ai_bossy_alertdown_to_idle04 “Nothing to worry about."

Settling Down after hearing something: You heard something, but it’s gone now. Go back to your business.

tdm_ai_bossy_alertdown_to_idle_heard01 "Quiet enough now. "

tdm_ai_bossy_alertdown_to_idle_heard02 "I don't see anything that could make a noise like that."

tdm_ai_bossy_alertdown_to_idle_heard03 "I don't recognize *that* sound..."

Settling Down after seeing something: You caught a glimpse of something moving, but it appears to be nothing. Moving on.

tdm_ai_bossy_alertdown_to_idle_saw01 "Well, I don't see anything now."

tdm_ai_bossy_alertdown_to_idle_saw 02 “My eyes are playing tricks on me...”

tdm_ai_bossy_alertdown_to_idle_saw 03 “Nothing moving now. ”

Alerted by Something: You see or hear something that makes you think that there's someone there, but you don't know exactly who, or where they are. You don’t know for sure that there’s a threat, but you’re all business now, and your lines are directed to the mystery figure in the shadows.

tdm_ai_bossy_to_searching01 " All right, who is creeping around there?"

tdm_ai_bossy_to_searching02 [hesitantly] “Wilkes, is that you?”

tdm_ai_bossy_to_searching03 "Stop skulking and come out where I can see you."

tdm_ai_bossy_to_searching04 [assumes a servant is approaching] “Are you looking for me?"

tdm_ai_bossy_to_searching05 “Is someone there?”

tdm_ai_bossy_to_searching06 "Who's there? Why don't you come out where I can see you?"

Alerted by Intruder: You see or hear something that makes it clear there’s someone there, and you have accumulated enough evidence to know that it’s an intruder. You don’t know exactly where they are at this moment, however, so you’re just getting ready to search for them.

tdm_ai_bossy_to_agitated_searching01 "All right, you shouldn't be in here. Come out now."

tdm_ai_bossy_to_agitated_searching02 “Hey, I see you over there. Come on out!”

tdm_ai_bossy_to_agitated_searching03 “I told them we'd have trouble..and here you are!”

tdm_ai_bossy_to_agitated_searching04 “I know exactly where you are. Why don't you save us both the trouble and step over here.”

tdm_ai_bossy_to_agitated_searching05 [yelling to others] “Hey everyone...there's an intruder here, just like I said!”

tdm_ai_bossy_to_agitated_searching06 “Ha! I knew there was somebody here.”

Idle, On Guard: You’ve been alerted by something—you may have seen the intruder or just evidence that something is wrong. It has been long enough that you’ve gone back to your regular patrol, but you’re no longer relaxed. If you’re armed you’ve got your weapon out, and you’re ready for trouble at a moment’s notice. You’re muttering to yourself.

tdm_ai_bossy_alert_idle01 “I hope he goes the other way. But I'm probably the only one who can handle him.”

tdm_ai_bossy_alert_idle02 “Maybe if they had listened to me we wouldn't be in this mess.”

tdm_ai_bossy_alert_idle03 “Good security isn't complicated. We're definitely going to have to change a few things.”

AI STATES: Searching

Searching: You’ve seen or heard enough to know that there’s someone around here, hiding. It might not be a threat, but if they’re hiding, then they’re obviously up to no good. You’re looking around for them. These lines are generally directed at the hiding figure.

tdm_ai_bossy_searching_no_evidence01 "Where are you hiding?"

tdm_ai_bossy_searching_no_evidence02 "All right, you should show yourself now."

tdm_ai_bossy_searching_no_evidence03 "I know you’re around here somewhere."

tdm_ai_bossy_searching_no_evidence04 "Come on out where I can see you. Then we can put an end to this."

tdm_ai_bossy_searching_no_evidence05 "If I were you I'd just give up now...there's nothing to be gained by dragging this out.”

tdm_ai_bossy_searching_no_evidence06 "Come on out. Let’s get this over with."

tdm_ai_bossy_searching_no_evidence07 "I like games, but I'm getting tired of this one."

Giving up after search: You’re pretty sure you saw somebody, but you've searched around and can't find anyone. This bark is played as you give up the search. You still don’t know for sure that it was an intruder, but you are pretty annoyed. You’re talking to yourself.

tdm_ai_bossy_alertdown_to_idle_no_evidence01 "Hmph. They must have left by now."

tdm_ai_bossy_alertdown_to_idle_no_evidence02 "I can’t see anyone now."

tdm_ai_bossy_alertdown_to_idle_no_evidence03 “Whoever it is must have left.”

tdm_ai_bossy_alertdown_to_idle_no_evidence04 “I don't know why they snuck off like that, but they're clearly gone.”

tdm_ai_bossy_alertdown_to_idle_no_evidence05 "I have better things to do than spend my night searching for sneaks."

tdm_ai_bossy_alertdown_to_idle_no_evidence06 “Probably another prank. Am I the only one who takes my job seriously?"

tdm_ai_bossy_alertdown_to_idle_no_evidence07 "I should probably check that shadow over there."

Agitated Searching: You know for sure there is an intruder around, and you’re looking for him. You’re deadly serious now. Your lines are directed at the intruder himself.

tdm_ai_bossy_searching_evidence01 "You can’t hide forever you know!"

tdm_ai_bossy_searching_evidence02 "You can't hide from me for very long..."

tdm_ai_bossy_searching_evidence03 "I know where all the best hiding places are, so it's just a matter of time!"

tdm_ai_bossy_searching_evidence04 "This is looking bad for you, thief!"

tdm_ai_bossy_searching_evidence05 “Show yourself, you coward."

tdm_ai_bossy_searching_evidence06 “I bet you’re right over there in those shadows."

tdm_ai_bossy_searching_evidence07 “I gave you a chance to come out, but you didn't listen. Now I'm going to have to find you.”

Agitated Searching, unarmed: You know for sure there is an intruder around, and you’re looking for him. You aren’t prepared for a fight though, so you’re not really sure you want to find him. You’re directing the lines at the intruder, and you should sound somewhat uncertain.

tdm_ai_bossy_searching_civilian01 “Where are you? What do you want?”

tdm_ai_bossy_searching_civilian02 “Let's just keep things calm here...I'm just want to know if anyone is here.”

tdm_ai_bossy_searching_civilian03 “Hey, why don’t you just come out?”

tdm_ai_bossy_searching_civilian04 “I don’t have any money you know...and there are probably guards coming soon.”

Giving up after Agitated Search: You have confirmed there is an intruder but he's given you the slip. You've searched for him, but haven't been able to find him. You're giving up for now but you aren't letting your guard down. These lines are primarily delivered in a frustrated tone of voice.

tdm_ai_bossy_alertdown_to_idle_seen_evidence01 “Well, I don't know how, but he's gotten away.."

tdm_ai_bossy_alertdown_to_idle_seen_evidence02 “It would just be a waste of time to keep searching now. He's long gone.”

tdm_ai_bossy_alertdown_to_idle_seen_evidence03 "He could be anywhere by now. [irritated] Why don’t I ever get any help?"

tdm_ai_bossy_alertdown_to_idle_seen_evidence04 "Well, if I'd get a little help once and a while I might have been able to find him."

tdm_ai_bossy_alertdown_to_idle_seen_evidence05 "Great. He's gotten away. Well, this isn't my fault."

Giving up after Agitated Search, unarmed: You know there’s an intruder around, and you looked for him and didn’t find anyone. You don’t have a weapon, so you are rather relieved that you don’t have to deal with an armed criminal.

tdm_ai_bossy_alertdown_to_idle_seen_evidence_civilian01 “*phew* Looks like he’s gone.”

tdm_ai_bossy_alertdown_to_idle_seen_evidence_civilian02 “Maybe he’s gone then. My luck must be turning.”

tdm_ai_bossy_alertdown_to_idle_seen_evidence_civilian03 “It doesn’t look like there’s anyone here now.”

tdm_ai_bossy_alertdown_to_idle_seen_evidence_civilian04 “Where's an armed guard when you need one? He's probably gone by now.”

Return with Help: You’re not equipped to fight, so you ran away from the intruder, got help, and came back. The intruder is still here, so you point him out.

tdm_ai_bossy_return_with_help01 "There, see? Keep your weapon up, he's armed!"

tdm_ai_bossy_return_with_help02 "See? See? I told you!"

Return too late with Help: You went and got help, but by the time you got back the intruder was gone. You’re flustered and upset.

tdm_ai_bossy_return_with_help_escaped01 “You should look around…he might still be here."

tdm_ai_bossy_return_with_help_escaped02 "I told you to run faster! Now he’s gotten away!”

COMBAT AND PURSUIT

Spotted the Intruder, armed: You have spotted the intruder. You are pulling out your weapon and getting ready to charge. These lines are shouted to the intruder.

tdm_ai_bossy_to_combat01 " Drop that weapon and don't move!"

tdm_ai_bossy_to_combat02 "No escape for you now!"

tdm_ai_bossy_to_combat03 “That’s it. Now I'm going to show you a thing or two!”

tdm_ai_bossy_to_combat04 “I’ll teach you to sneak up on me!”

tdm_ai_bossy_to_combat05 “Aha! Now I’ve got you!”

Spotted the Intruder, armed, with help: You have spotted the intruder and are getting ready to charge. Luckily, you have some friends with you.

tdm_ai_bossy_to_combat_company01 "You circle round behind him!"

tdm_ai_bossy_to_combat_company02 " There he is! Let's all get him at once!"

tdm_ai_bossy_to_combat_company03 “You take him from the left!”

Spotted the Intruder with a body, armed: You see the intruder, and he’s carrying a body! The fiend!

tdm_ai_bossy_spotted_player_with_body01 "Hey! A body-snatcher!"

Spotted the Intruder, unarmed: You have spotted the intruder. Oh no! He’s got a whole bunch of weapons, and you don’t have any! You are panicking and getting ready to run, and are yelling for help.

tdm_ai_bossy_to_flee01 "Oh! A criminal!"

tdm_ai_bossy_to_flee02 "Don’t kill me!"

tdm_ai_bossy_to_flee03 "Leave me alone! I didn't do anything! "

tdm_ai_bossy_to_flee04 "Help! There’s an armed intruder here!"

tdm_ai_bossy_to_flee05 "Guards! Guards! Somebody help!"

Lost Player after Pursuit: You are chasing the intruder when suddenly he disappears. How did that happen? He can’t be far.

tdm_ai_bossy_lost_track_of_enemy01 “What? He can't be that fast.”

tdm_ai_bossy_lost_track_of_enemy02 “Wh--? Where did he go?”

tdm_ai_bossy_lost_track_of_enemy03 “I found you once, I can do it again."

Running Away: You’re unarmed and are running away as fast as you can, but the intruder is coming after you! This is life or death, so you’re shouting in panic to anyone who can hear you.

tdm_ai_bossy_flee01 "Help me!"

tdm_ai_bossy_flee02 "Help!"

tdm_ai_bossy_flee03 "Somebody please stop him!"

Running Away, hurt: You’re armed and have been badly wounded by the intruder. You’re running away as fast as you can, yelling for help.

tdm_ai_bossy_flee_hurt01 “You win!”

tdm_ai_bossy_flee_hurt02 “Help! Leave me alone!”

tdm_ai_bossy_flee_hurt03 “Murderer! Stay back!“

Coming to Assist: A comrade called for help (or you heard sounds of a fight) and you are on your way to help them.

tdm_ai_bossy_assist_friend01 "It will be all right now, I'm here!"

tdm_ai_bossy_assist_friend02 "Keep his attention, I'll get him from behind!!"

Fighting : You're locked in deadly combat with an intruder. These lines are delivered as you swing your weapon, so should be short and full of a sense of action.

tdm_ai_bossy_combat_melee01-4 Generic combat grunts (“hiyah!”) x4

tdm_ai_bossy_combat_melee05 “Take…this!”

Fighting, winning: You are locked in combat with the intruder, and have just bashed him with your weapon. You take a moment to taunt your opponent. These need to be said quickly, as the fight is still going on.

tdm_ai_bossy_combat_hit_player01 “You're losing, you know.”

tdm_ai_bossy_combat_hit_player02 “How’d you like that?”

tdm_ai_bossy_combat_hit_player03 “See that?”

Fighting, losing: You are locked in combat with the intruder, and he has just hit or blocked you. You’re realizing that you might lose this fight. These lines should be short.

tdm_ai_bossy_combat_blocked_by_player01 “Damn.”

tdm_ai_bossy_combat_blocked_by_player02 “Stop that.”

tdm_ai_bossy_combat_blocked_by_player03 “You shouldn't have done that.”

Pain: Something just hurt you. Ouch!

tdm_ai_bossy_pain_small01-03 Small grunts (“ow!”) x3

tdm_ai_bossy_pain_large01-03 Serious pain (“Aaaaiieee!”) x3

Throw Something at Intruder: The intruder is visible, but you can’t get to him. You're angry and throw something.

tdm_ai_bossy_combat_throw01 "Take this!"

tdm_ai_bossy_combat_throw01 “You should at least try to take cover.”

tdm_ai_bossy_combat_throw01 “You're right in the open there...what's wrong with you?”

Shoot Arrow: You're an archer, shooting arrows at the intruder.

tdm_ai_bossy_combat_archer01 "I'm a great shot...too bad for you.”

tdm_ai_bossy_combat_archer02 "That's a bad place to stand, thief."

tdm_ai_bossy_combat_archer03 “I've got plenty of arrows.”

Frustrated: The intruder is out of reach (such as standing on a stack of crates or across a chasm) and you can't reach him. You don’t have anything to throw at the moment.

tdm_ai_bossy_enemy_out_of_reach01 "You won't be safe there for long."

tdm_ai_bossy_enemy_out_of_reach01 “I see you there.”

tdm_ai_bossy_enemy_out_of_reach01 [shouting for help] “Hey, I've got him cornered here! How about some help?”

Hit by Arrow: You've been shot by an arrow and you can't see who did it. You're angry or scared and may be calling for help.

tdm_ai_bossy_enemy_hit_by_arrow01 "What? A sniper!"

tdm_ai_bossy_enemy_hit_by_arrow01 "Help! I'm being shot at!"

Killed Intruder: You’ve won the fight. Taunt the intruder as he lays dying at your feet.

tdm_ai_bossy_killed_enemy01 [panting] “Ha. I told you …I’d win.”

tdm_ai_bossy_killed_enemy02 “Good, he's down. Glad that's over.”

tdm_ai_bossy_killed_enemy03 “Well, I told you to give up. Not my fault you don’t listen.”

Die, Quiet: You didn’t see it coming, but someone just hit you from behind and took you down. Make a grunt, but as the name suggests, it's kind of quiet.

tdm_ai_bossy_die_quiet01 "UNH"

tdm_ai_bossy_die_quiet02 "Arg"

tdm_ai_bossy_die_quiet03 "HHnnnn..."

Die, Loud: You’ve just been killed by an armed intruder. These lines should be start with a loud scream of pain, then sputter your dying words (if any).

tdm_ai_bossy_die_loud01 "AHHHHHHHHHHH"

tdm_ai_bossy_die_loud02 "Ahh! This can't be happening....."

tdm_ai_bossy_die_loud03 “Urk! Noooo….”

Blinded: You have been blinded by a flash of light.

tdm_ai_bossy_blinded01 "Ow! I can't see!"

Gassed: You have been caught in knockout gas. Cough, sputter and pass out. This should be quick--a second or two at most (it's fast gas).

tdm_ai_bossy_cough_noair01 "..cough cough"

FINDING EVIDENCE

You have found or observed something that looks out of place. You aren't seeing or hearing the intruder directly, but something that might be a sign that one was here earlier.

Find Something Suspicious: You’ve noticed something unusual, like a patch of moss on the floor, or a knocked over chair. You can’t immediately assume there’s an intruder, but you’re sure something is not right. These lines must be generic, as they could apply to all kinds of things. You’re talking to yourself.

tdm_ai_bossy_find_something_suspicious01 "Hmm? That’s not right."

tdm_ai_bossy_find_something_suspicious02 "How did that happen?”

tdm_ai_bossy_find_something_suspicious03 "Who is responsible for that?"

tdm_ai_bossy_find_something_suspicious04 "Well, I know I didn't do that...I wonder who did."

Find a Weapon: There is a weapon lying on the ground. People generally don’t leave their weapons around for no reason, so you’re suspicious.

tdm_ai_bossy_find_weapon01 "What’s that doing lying around?”

tdm_ai_bossy_find_weapon02 "Who left a weapon here?"

Find a Door Open: There is a door open that shouldn't be. Maybe it doesn’t mean anything, but maybe it does.

tdm_ai_bossy_find_open_door01 "No wonder the wind howls through here…they can't even close the doors."

tdm_ai_bossy_find_open_door02 "What’s this doing open...?"

Find Lights Off: The lights are off, and they shouldn't be. Strange. These lines should be very nonspecific about what kind of light they refer to.

tdm_ai_bossy_find_light_off01 "It's too dark in here. Why isn't there more light?"

tdm_ai_bossy_find_light_off02 "I told them to keep those lights on at night."

tdm_ai_bossy_find_light_off03 "Wasn’t that lit before?"

Find Lights Out, Flame: You notice a torch or candle that should be lit has gone out. The level of suspicion in the delivery depends on the character…flames do go out on their own after all.

tdm_ai_bossy_find_torch_off01 "If they spent a little more money they might last longer."

tdm_ai_bossy_find_torch_off02 "Burnt out again?"

tdm_ai_bossy_find_torch_off03 "Another one out. Why are we using open flames in here anyway?"

Relight light, flame: You’ve found a torch or candle that has burned out, and you decide to relight it.

tdm_ai_bossy_relighting01 "No one else seems to care, so it's up to me to light it."

tdm_ai_bossy_relighting02 [sigh] "I'll light it..."

Refuse to relight flame: You’ve found a torch or candle that has burned out, but you have no intention of relighting it.

tdm_ai_bossy_not_relighting01 "I’ll don't have anything to light it with."

tdm_ai_bossy_not_relighting02 "Someone else is going to have to do it, though I bet they won't."

Find Blood: There is blood on the floor. There has obviously been a fight of some kind. This is serious. You are either reacting with shock or calling out a warning to anyone nearby.

tdm_ai_bossy_find_blood01 "What’s that? Blood?”

tdm_ai_bossy_find_blood02 "That's too much blood ...something is wrong.”

tdm_ai_bossy_find_blood03 "Oh, I don’t like the look of this at all."

Find Body, generic: You find a body on the ground. There is no obvious sign of trauma, so you’re not sure what has happened. You are either reacting with shock or calling out a warning to anyone nearby. These lines should not refer to the gender of the body.

tdm_ai_bossy_find_unconscious01 “What happened to you? "

tdm_ai_bossy_find_unconscious02 "Hey what’s this? ….Oh…someone’s hurt! "

Find Body, Female: You find the body of a woman on the ground. There’s no obvious sign of trauma. You are either reacting with shock or calling out a warning to anyone nearby.

tdm_ai_bossy_find_unconscious_female01 "A lady…are you all right?"

tdm_ai_bossy_find_unconscious_female02 “Hey, there’s a woman hurt over here!”

Find Body, Male: You find the body of a man on the ground. You are either reacting with shock or calling out a warning to anyone nearby.

tdm_ai_bossy_find_unconscious_male01 "Oh…he’s hurt!"

tdm_ai_bossy_find_unconscious_male02 “What happened to this man?”

Find Corpse: You find the body of someone who is obviously dead. You are shocked and/or angry. If you’re a guard, you’re sounding an alarm. These lines should not refer to the gender of the body.

tdm_ai_bossy_find_corpse01 "Oh no...there's a killer on the loose!"

tdm_ai_bossy_find_corpse02 [quietly, to the corpse] “May the Lord Builder grant you rest.”

tdm_ai_bossy_find_corpse03 “Murder! Where are the guards?”

Find Corpse, Female: You find the dead body of a woman on the ground.

tdm_ai_bossy_find_corpse_female01 "Oh no! A woman’s been murdered!"

Find Corpse, Male: You found a man, dead on the ground.

tdm_ai_bossy_find_corpse_male01 "There's a murdered man over here!"

tdm_ai_bossy_find_corpse_male02 “Hey, everyone! I found a man slain over here!!”

Find Corpse, Comrade: You find a comrade of yours, murdered. You are outraged. You call out a warning to your allies, or a threat to the one who did this.

tdm_ai_bossy_find_corpse_comrade01 “Awww...I warned him to be careful.”

tdm_ai_bossy_find_corpse_comrade02 “This is a terrible loss.”

Find Pocket Picked: You had something on your belt, and now it's gone! Did you drop it?

tdm_ai_bossy_notice_pocket_picked01 "What? Where did that go?"

tdm_ai_bossy_notice_pocket_picked02 "I knew that strap wasn't tight enough…”

Find Something Stolen: You’ve just noticed something significant missing that shouldn't be. You've obviously been robbed.

tdm_ai_bossy_notice_missing_item01 "Oh great, someone has taken it. I knew it shouldn't be left right out in the open."

tdm_ai_bossy_notice_missing_item02 "All right, that was there before, I know it."

tdm_ai_bossy_notice_missing_item03 "Someone raise the alarm, we’ve been robbed!"

tdm_ai_bossy_notice_missing_item04 “We've got a thief on the lose!”

AI INTERACTION

Raise the Alarm!: You know something is seriously wrong…perhaps you’ve found the lord murdered, or you’ve found the master safe open. You need to alert everyone within earshot.

tdm_ai_bossy_raise_alarm01 “To arms, to arms! We've got a serious problem!”

tdm_ai_bossy_raise_alarm02 “Raise the alarm!”

tdm_ai_bossy_raise_alarm03 “Quick! Everyone up! …sound the alarm!”

Warning--Recently Found Corpse: You recently found a body and are relaying the information to any friends you see.

tdm_ai_bossy_warn_found_corpse01 "There’s been a murder. You should all be careful! "

tdm_ai_bossy_warn_found_corpse02 “Pay special attention to the shadows, there’s a killer among us. He's already murdered someone.”

Warning—We’ve been Robbed: You know you've been robbed and you're telling your buddy about it.

tdm_ai_bossy_warn_missing_item01 "Hey, we've been robbed! You should go block all the exits."

tdm_ai_bossy_warn_missing_item02 " Spread the word! We've been robbed!"

tdm_ai_bossy_warn_missing_item03 “Keep your eyes open for a thief!”

Warning--Recently Saw Intruder: You saw the intruder not too long ago, but he escaped. Now, you’re warning others about him.

tdm_ai_bossy_warn_saw_enemy01 " There's an intruder in here. Everyone needs to be extra alert!"

tdm_ai_bossy_warn_saw_enemy02 "I'd get your weapon ready if I were you. We’ve got an armed criminal on the loose."

tdm_ai_bossy_warn_saw_enemy03 "I saw someone sneaking around. If you hear me yelling, come quick and help."

Warning—Something is not Right: You haven’t seen an intruder, but you’re seen evidence that there is one around somewhere. You’re warning your friends about it.

tdm_ai_bossy_warn_suspicious01 “If you see anything out of the ordinary, better report it at once.”

tdm_ai_bossy_warn_suspicious02 “I think there's trouble. You'd better get ready for it, just in case."

Greeting, Generic: A casual greeting or question as you pass someone. These lines should be very generic, with no reference to gender or status. They must be relatively short. Since greetings can be made by AI to friends or strangers, delivery should be fairly neutral.

tdm_ai_bossy_greet_civilian_to_civilian01 "Hello."

tdm_ai_bossy_greet_civilian_to_civilian02 [offering advice] "You should wear layers on nights like this."

tdm_ai_bossy_greet_civilian_to_civilian03 "Greetings."

tdm_ai_bossy_greet_civilian_to_civilian04 "A bit late for you to be up, isn't it?"

Greeting, Guard to Guard: You’re armed, and you spot a social equal who is also armed. Chances are you’re both guards on patrol. Greet them or ask a short question about their shift.

tdm_ai_bossy_greet_guard_to_guard01 “Nice to see someone else on patrol."

tdm_ai_bossy_greet_guard_to_guard02 “Quiet night?”

tdm_ai_bossy_greet_guard_to_guard03 “I'd pay close attention to those shadows...just in case.”

Greeting, Guard to Civilian: You’re armed, and you spot a civilian/servant. Chances are, you’re a guard on the job, so you gruffly tell them to stay out of your way.

tdm_ai_bossy_greet_guard_to_civilian01 "You should go about your business."

tdm_ai_bossy_greet_guard_to_civilian02 [reassuring] “Don’t worry, I’m on patrol.”

tdm_ai_bossy_greet_guard_to_civilian03 “Are you supposed to be here?”

Greeting, to Nobleman: You pass someone high on the social ladder and greet him.

tdm_ai_bossy_greet_to_noble_male01 "Good evening, my lord."

Greeting, to Noblewoman: You pass a lady high on the social ladder and greet her.

tdm_ai_bossy_greet_to_noble_female01 "Good evening, my Lady."

Greeting, to Priest: You pass a Builder Priest and greet him.

tdm_ai_bossy_greet_to_cleric01 "Good evening, Father. God be with you."

Greeting, Man to Woman: You pass a woman and greet her (not needed for all characters).

Greeting, Woman to Man: You pass a man and greet him (not needed for all characters).

Greeting, to Builder: You pass a member of the clergy (not a priest) and greet them (not needed for all characters).

Greeting, to Inferior: You’re high on the social ladder, and see someone beneath you. You’re better than them, and your greeting conveys that.

tdm_ai_bossy_greet_noble_to_civilian01 "I'm very important...better step aside."

tdm_ai_bossy_greet_noble_to_civilian02 "Move aside, there."

Greeting, to Inferior Guard: You’re high on the social ladder and see a guard. You greet them by evaluating their performance.

tdm_ai_bossy_greet_noble_male_to_guard01 “Security is your job, you know.”

tdm_ai_bossy_greet_noble_male_to_guard02 "If you see anything, let me know.."

Response, Generic: You have been greeted by someone who is a social equal. Lines should be short and generic, as they could be replies to many different kinds of greetings. Delivery should be fairly monotone and noncommittal.

tdm_ai_bossy_response01 “Of course."

tdm_ai_bossy_response02 “Uh huh.”

tdm_ai_bossy_response03 “Oh?”

tdm_ai_bossy_response04 [distracted] “Yes...yes.”

Response, to Superior: You have been greeted by someone who has a higher rank than you. Your response should be stiffer and more official.

tdm_ai_bossy_response_to_superior01 “Yes sir.”

tdm_ai_bossy_response_to_superior02 “Very Well.”

tdm_ai_bossy_response_to_superior03 “Of course.”