The Dark Mod Forums

Sir Taffsalot's mapping thread

Sir Taffsalot

Ah I think I know what the problem is. The S&R worked fine in my practice map. But for my real map I made the surface area of the stim a lot larger. I then just copied the properties from the practice map and forgot to change the SR_radius to compensate for the change in size. How silly of me. Hopefully I'm back on my way now.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

• 3 weeks later...

Probably the easiest way is to insert the prefab - it's under AI then adjust it how you want. You'll see various properties on the AI.

If you can't see the prefabs in Dark Radiant then you need to extract them from the zip into the darkmod folder (it should create a prefabs folder in there when extracting.) It's something like tdm_prefabs01.pk4

What is the exact message? For instance aas48 is spiders I think. I once had that and I think it was some error in the map that made pathfinding go wrong. Try placing a huge brush of monsterclip over say one quarter of your map at a time then dmap. If you find it solves it in one quarter only then examine that quarter for path complexity. Maybe repeat quartering of that quarter with monster to narrow it down more.

BTW, you have monsterclipped your map haven't you? If not then that is probably the problem.

I haven't monsterclipped anything! I can't remember reading anything about it in that fine tutorial of yours. I see that clicking on monsterclip in the dark mod wiki redirects me to a tut on pathfinding. I shall give that a read. Thanks for your help Ungoliant and Fidcal

The Joker

I'm so confused. I have nothing but a room with a rat in it. The floor and walls are covered in monster clip. It loads fine. When I import this into my actual map I get the aas out of date message. I have no ai in my map besides the rat I just imported. How can this work in one map yet not in another?

The Joker

OK well it would seem that in my test map when I dmap it creates the AAS file which is why I gen no warning message when I load. My actual map however doesn't seem to be creating the AAS file when I dmap. I have the cm and proc file. Any ideas on what I should do? Thanks!

The Joker

The only reason an AAS file wouldn't generate is if there's no AI in the map. :huh:

Are there any console warnings while beginning or right after dmap? AAS would be the very last step in the dmap process. It can also be overridden with the cvar "runAAS mapname"

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

There's definately AI in my map. There's a rat and a guard. After Dmapping when I bring the console down I get these 2 error messages.

Error: idbrush: brush 4277 on entity 0 in unbounded

Warning: idSession: triggering mainmenu watchdog

The Joker

Yes, there are two or three bad brushes - probably leftovers from some bad clipper cuts. A couple are shavings that can be deleted. One is an awkard section through an angled roof. Delete it and rebuild that bit then it dmaps OK and pathfinds OK.

Remember, warnings are not so critical (though should be considered) but errors stop dmap and therefore the aas path calcs that follow it - so you have to fix console errors.

OK I found the brush using fidcals method and I deleted it. I get no error message and I have an AAS file that is now written. The brush is litterally something like 2 miles away from my AI. How can that effect it in anyway? Oh well, onwards and downwards lol. Thank you everyone for your help.

The Joker

Is there any tutorials on how to do a mission briefing in the style of the original Thief games? I had a look on the dark mod wiki and couldn't see anything, unless I'm missing something obvious. Thanks

The Joker

Well essentially you'd create a graphics briefing. The style of the images depends on your own skills of course. Sotha has created a relatively easy to create push button one. Check on the wiki or if not then search the forums as I'm sure there is a detailed explanation of how to set it up.

[edit] Yeah - here it is....

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Briefing