The Dark Mod Forums

Sir Taffsalot's mapping thread

Sir Taffsalot

Yes, literally make it a static readable entity with a transparent no background gui (or a custom matching stone art background.) I just tried this but it needs tweaking and I'm out of time tonight. I'll take another look tomorrow. It's definitely do-able. I thought we'd already got one that could be modified.

Another solution you might consider is to insert a transparent sign text over the stone so it can be read directly in game.

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Text_Decals_for_Signs_etc.

OK I have a really strange problem. I have an elevator that keeps stopping in random places. Occasionally it actually does make it to it's destination so I know that it can work. And there doesn't seem to be a specific point where it stops. It's very random. Does anyone know what could be causing this? This probably sounds odd but it is true.

I'm using the door_sliding entity thats recommended from Fidcals tut. I see that theres an elevator tut that recommends using a mover elevator enitity. I'll try that instead.

Edited by Sir Taffsalot

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

Mmmm.... maybe later changes to the TDM door entity are affecting it. You might try:

push_player 1

stop_when_blocked 0 (though I think this is default anyway.)

But I don't think the above will help. Pity because it was a very simple elevator being just a sliding door. (however, the player should be able to ride a mover without problem so I dunno.)

I see the one in the later released Den was changed to the standard elevator entity so maybe you'd better change to that.

There is a prefab you can insert or maybe you've already designed your elevator shape? There is a wiki article: http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Elevators%2C_multi-floor

Thanks Fidcal. I just went with the Prefab in the end. It's a lot nicer looking than my elevator as well. One thing though. The elevator is for a church tower and at it's default speed it takes nearly a minute to get from A to B which is a bit of a dull wait. I added the spawnrag translation_speed to the lift and put in 60 but the speed seems the same after dmapping. Is there a way to speed it up?

The Joker

I'm trying to get a large book to go in to my inventory and trying to find the inventory icon for it. I'm looking in the guis folder. I'm currently looking in guis/assets/hud/inventory icons. All I can see is the spyglass tga. Does anyone know where I can find the correrct icon? Thanks.

The Joker

Just glancing at that old article I think you can go for higher resolution loader screens if you want and I am less sure about the need to stretch it eg, to 1024 x 1024. I see in Heart I used 2048 x 1286 because there is some fine text on that screen that did not show well in low res. But I seem to have used the default gui with a 640 x 480 res (which is probably correct as it just scales.)

Unfortunately I don't seem to have kept any notes about my experimenting or thinking at that time but I'm fairly certain it does improve it. Someone more knowledgeable about the tech side of doom3 might be able to clarify that.

The "power of two" rule is important for creating textures but I'm not sure how relevant that is today given the mismatched aspect ratio of the GUI system and modern displays. Ideally you would scale your background up (2048 x 1286 should be 2048 x 2048) to avoid losing data when the engine sees a non-power of two texture and decides to scale it to the closest match (2048 x 1286 if left alone would get scaled down to 2048 x 1024).

The image will still be transformed to fit to the 4:3 aspect ratio of the GUI system but it's downscaling in one direction so it should still look pretty damn good. However if you run at a widescreen resolution like I do, it's going to transform the image twice; once vertically to fit the 4:3 GUI and then again horizontally to fit the GUI to your 16:9 screen. I'd love to see the GUI system get an update when the source comes out.

I'd love to see the GUI system get an update when the source comes out.

Oh, yeah defitely. Apart from the high-res backgrounds (most of our "big" backgrounds like parchments are 1024x1024, but don't even use the full resolution....), there are the font rendering bugs, the distortion on the more and more common widescreens etc. There's a lot to do! I don't think this will make it in v1.07, but after that this is big on the list of things to finally do right.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I have a readable that is used to trigger a hidden objective in my map. When frobbed it displays the text perfectly and when closed the hidden objective appears which is fine. It's an open book. The thing is there is no text on it before been frobbed. In other words it appears as an open book with no writting on it. All other readables appear fine. Is this because it triggers a hidden objective?

The Joker

No. More likely the readable xdata is set up wrongly. The objective only tests the readable; it doesn't actually affect it.

Check the console for warnings about the readable just after launching the map and if you can't see the problem then check the console after trying to read the readable.

Look at this troubleshooter for possible causes of the error:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Readables#Troubleshooting

• 2 weeks later...