The Dark Mod Forums

TDM 1.06 full mirrors

Bikerdude

Wanted a clean install of TDM 1.06 but didnt want to hammer our mirrors, so I went and found the newest full version on the web (which turned out to be 1.03). I than ran the updater and it went smoothly, but right at the end it complained it wasn't able to update some files. Ran the updater again and it says Im upto date, I have attached the update log to this post, come someone please confirm if infact I am upto date please? or will I need to download the updated and just do a full download of 1.06..?

If I get a yes I will upload the full version of TDm 1.06 to filefront, bigdownloads, and few other places so we can use these mirrors to offload some of the bandwidth etc.

TDM update from 1.03 to 1.06.txt

tdm_update.log.txt

For god sake why are you still trying to work on something that works just fine? There was torrent file and was no problem with it, now you have deleted it. Change for the sake of change.

Edited by vorob

For god sake why are you still trying to work on something what works just fine? There was torrent file and no problem, now you deleted it. Change for the sake of change.

I know your English isn't very good, but can you possibly find a way of saying something without sounding like a complete douchebag?

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

The point of doing this is because some people want to be able to download the full version of TDM, and I would like to save hammering the bandwidth on fidcal.com, mindplaces.com and the other TDM mirrors (which are payed for by members of the TDM team btw). Atm the newest full version I could find on the web is 1.03, so that leaves 600Mb when updated to 1.06 that has to be downloaded from the the above mirrors.

FYI: on the subject of torrents, this only really works if lots of people are seeding it (which wont be the case fot TDM) rather than just one or two people. And no, Im not gonna leave a computer on eating electricity just to seed a torrent.

Do you understand now Vorob..?

@Bikerdue: I think it might be worthwhile to upload v1.06 to moddb, I am a bit shocked that the latest version we have there is actually v1.03. (Which is I think not suitable for the incremental updates, because IIRC this started to get really working with v1.04 and above).

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Bikerdude, it really doesn't itch our mirrors if you download a full package. We have terabytes over terabytes of bandwidth each month, and the downloader is weighting them accordingly. We didn't have a problem with 1.00 and 1.01 where people had to download more than 1 GB per update, these times the updates are 10 to 50 MB.

Since the torrent's been mentioned: there is no torrent file for 1.06 yet, since the 1.05 torrent got a whopping 140 downloads or something. For 1.01 and 1.02 we had 10 times more downloads on the torrent, which is not surprising since most people prefer to download a 50 MB update package instead of the whole 2 GB. It didn't seem worthwile to me to create one but let me know if there is absolute need for this.

Incremental updates are possible from 1.03 upwards, so the moddb is outdated but not a huge problem.

I hate uploaders. I always redownload the full mod file in order to keep it clean and handy in my archive. I was furious that it took me 10 damn minutes to scan through the whole Dark Mod site and the forums just to realize that there is no full 1.06 archive at all.

There might be problems with bandwidth, that's for sure, but not being able to give people to download the full latest version of a mod is, well... extremely weird at best.

My apologies, I haven't been able to download a clean full install since v1.03 due to restricted PC time. Then my wife needed to use my dropbox account for videos of our son to send to the neurologist (false alarm, phew). I need dropbox to upload such large files to Moddb as it seems that a direct upload will time-out on their end.

Is v1.06 over 2GB?

My free dropbox account is limited to 2GB, so I will probably need to find another upload method to get it up there.

I will fish around my install for all the base files, pack them and try to upload directly but I think it'll time-out like what happened for v1.03 until I used a dropbox link for the upload.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I hate uploaders. I always redownload the full mod file in order to keep it clean and handy in my archive. I was furious that it took me 10 damn minutes to scan through the whole Dark Mod site and the forums just to realize that there is no full 1.06 archive at all.

There might be problems with bandwidth, that's for sure, but not being able to give people to download the full latest version of a mod is, well... extremely weird at best.

*sigh* Guess giving all our hard work out for free is never enough for some people...

If you place tdm_update.exe in an empty folder, it will do just this: download the FULL TDM archive, file by file. It does so by choosing mirrors randomly, and if one fails, goes to the next mirror. And it checks that it got the right files. So in a way it is even better than a simple webdownload or a torrent.

And "keeping it clean and handy" is just - weird, because you do actually nothing of that sort if you download a full archive, because you can bet that archive you download was created by someone who took the last version and did run the updater on it, then uploaded the result. So all you do is waste bandwidth and end up with the same result if you just had run the updater...

And of course, you can always host a full version TDM by yourself, you do not have to wait for permission from the team, nor for the team. Or just wait until someone has the patience, time, and upload bandwidth and webspace to actually provide you with a full archive.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Tels/Greebs...

I have an idea but I dont know how easy it would be to impliment, would it be possible to code the updater to it pulled date from all of the mirrors at the same time or which ever was available - aka torrent syle..? that way people would get a monster download speed and the mirrors would all share the load..

If you place tdm_update.exe in an empty folder, it will do just this: download the FULL TDM archive, file by file. It does so by choosing mirrors randomly, and if one fails, goes to the next mirror. And it checks that it got the right files. So in a way it is even better than a simple webdownload or a torrent.

That's just super! Thx.

Taking all my rude words back, sorry.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't know that. I'll definitely try that, thanks.

The point of doing this is because some people want to be able to download the full version of TDM, and I would like to save hammering the bandwidth on fidcal.com, mindplaces.com and the other TDM mirrors (which are payed for by members of the TDM team btw).

I don't know about the others but for the .de mirror, that I run, I have unlimited traffic and there is not much hosted there except for the darkmod, so you won't even be slowing down other websites or something ...

I would suggest that you don't spend your time looking for alternative download possibilities but make awesome missions instead :) ...

I am uploading v1.06 FULL to Moddb now... hopefully it will complete. The last time I tried a direct upload it failed. I don't have enough Dropbox space for it either... Keep yer fingers crossed. ^_^

As expected, it failed. :(

I don't think I can make it within the 12hr upload window.

I need another free hoster like Dropbox with a higher limit.

I at least updated the tdm_updaters (awaiting authorization).

As expected, it failed. :(

I don't think I can make it within the 12hr upload window.

I need another free hoster like Dropbox with a higher limit.

I at least updated the tdm_updaters (awaiting authorization).

bloodgate.com already stores a copy of TDM v1.06, so I can prepare a full download archive on the server (might take a few days because due to storage I'd need to upgrade the account first). Then I can instruct moddb to download this file. Is it possible to give moddb an URL and say "fetch this file"? bloodgate.com should have a VERY fast outgoing pipe.

Ok, I PM you as soon as my account is upgraded and I assembled the package.

Hopefully this will be done before I leave work tonight. I am gonna be without real internet access from July 5th to the 13th because my wife has roped me into a *vacation (*that term only roughly resembles what you get when you leave work for a week to hang-out with a demanding wife...)

Otherwise I will have to update Moddb when I get back.

Hopefully this will be done before I leave work tonight. I am gonna be without real internet access from July 5th to the 13th because my wife has roped me into a *vacation (*that term only roughly resembles what you get when you leave work for a week to hang-out with a demanding wife...)

Otherwise I will have to update Moddb when I get back.

Then, probably, as my account hasn't been upgraded yet.

Edit: Oh, and an advice: If you describe a vacation like you do, and really mean it, it's time for a divorce, or going onto sep. vacations. You live only once.