The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Reap as you sow by Fieldmedic (2011/06/19)

DeTeEff

49 members have voted

1. 1. Seasonal Theme captured?

• No Season defined
    • Barely defined Season
    • Season is clear, nothing more
    • Season is captured well
    • Near Perfect, evokes the feel of the Season
  2. 2. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag?

3. 3. Aesthetics: Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style. Audio, use mood. Storytelling and consistency?

Okay I have a question about this FM that I tried playing today. I'm certain that in the intro it was mentioned that the garden maze was a tourist attraction and that you procured a ticket to get in. Why does everyone who sees me attack me then when I go to go into the maze?

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

There's a way around that first bug.

You need to drop the bodies into the hatch while still on the maze level, then the objective will be completed. If you climb down with a body and dump it inside the tunnel (like I did at first) it won't register it.

That's strange. During building I had noclip on, grabbed the corpses and flow down to the tunnels and dumped and after both guys were down there, the objective checked of as finished...I hope not 1.06 has done something bad...

Okay I have a question about this FM that I tried playing today. I'm certain that in the intro it was mentioned that the garden maze was a tourist attraction and that you procured a ticket to get in. Why does everyone who sees me attack me then when I go to go into the maze?

Nobody should attack you when you're moving towards the maze...

I must upload ver 1.01 with some quick fixes before every person has asked the same question. :rolleyes:

lol sorry, I didn't go through the house at the start of the mission, I went through the gate on the side and headed right towards the back and the servant girl opened the house door and saw me and failed mission came up.

I'll wait to play it til later then, looks promising though I have to say.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

lol sorry, I didn't go through the house at the start of the mission, I went through the gate on the side and headed right towards the back and the servant girl opened the house door and saw me and failed mission came up.

I'll wait to play it til later then, looks promising though I have to say.

It's a special mission, say no more :)

liked this mission, but came to a point that i am bugged and cant seem to continue

just went to the snow scene and shot bernhard, then went to dump those corpses. 1st problem, after dumping to the nearest tunnel, the objective isnt complete, and tension levels remain high. 2nd problem, bernhard's diary cannot be read, otherwise i cant access weapons or inventory

I'm at the

snow scene and am wondering what did you shoot him with. As far as I can tell I have no weapons except a blackjack. Did I miss something again?

I'm at the

snow scene and am wondering what did you shoot him with. As far as I can tell I have no weapons except a blackjack. Did I miss something again?

And in the guardhouse, there is an armoury, so if you're into violence (not much use in this particular mission) you can equip yourself with some arrows.

Well after going back to almost the beginning with a previous save I finished the mission and am glad I did. I really liked your layout of the map.

At first I thought your theme was fall when I saw the haystacks but after looking around and noticing the new plants in the garden and the green leaves on the trees and hedges I realized this was a summer mission.

Some things I liked was the feeling of being on a small touristy farm with the crunch of gravel underfoot. I liked your tunnels although was expecting a bad a-- spider down there because of the readable and the web but was glad there wasn't. Your maze was good and fairly easy to get around.

Things I didn't like - I spent a lot of time in frustration at the beginning because of the maze being closed (I know this is taken care of now) and not knowing where to go. Part of my frustration came from the tension meter going and staying in the red. I didn't like starting my mission on easy and then being catapulted into ghosting with no chance for redemption. As I said I started over from an earlier save when I was in the green and just kept saving at each new spot I got to just in case so I could stay out of the red.

I'm not sure if I would call your winter scene "winter" as it just seemed like a dark foggy place with wind blowing. The first time I went there I walked right up to Bernhard before I knew it and he killed me. It was kind of hard to see in there.

The long readables have already been mentioned and I read most of them but think I missed something as I'm not sure where this Bernhard fellow fit in. I too could not access my inventory once I read his diary.

Someone mentioned an optional objective about a necklace. This never came up for me but I did find the necklace. All in all I liked your mission (once I got out of red mode ). It was kinda weird walking among the AI and not getting attacked. I managed to get most of the loot - 1119. I think all I missed was the coins in the four pools in the centre of the maze. My stealth came out to 46 but that's false because of all the saves I think.

Thanks for such a unique mission.Will go and vote now.

Congrats on release, and thanks !

Season is well defined. / Three stars. / Three stars.

Sad that you hadn´t time needed to make it work flawlessly, experienced all the bugs others mentioned plus some.

I tried dropping bodies into hatch, but they allways get stuck across opening and didn´t fall down. Get killed many times up there. When i tried to shoulder them and noclip down to tunnels, objective wasn´t completed. When i appeared in maze with bodies after winter scene, there was some tourist nearby and i haven´t time to clean them, so get instantly hunted. When i put a ring in bedroom to accuse lady, objective was checked, then i return to pick body, get the ring again, objective unchecked. When i pulled the lever down in tunnels, went up by the corridor towards the ladder, then boom, i was lying dead without noticeable reason. Or was there any ? And so on.

Bugs, boredom. This killed the mood for me. I blame contest deadline for it, i´m sure it would work if you had enough time. Had some good fun moments though, i enjoyed the beginning, to have no shadows to hide was super tense. Tunnels were scary, so i enjoyed this part too. Thus three stars.

Aesthetics three stars, b/c TDM (d3) just doesn´t look good brightly lit without shadows. Not your fault, but big empty outside areas should profit from some more foliage, trees, decals and stuff to not seem so empty.

I gave higher rating for season capturing, to reward you at least for trying the hardest "season" (daylight), as winter seems most forgiving, and have most contestants.

Best luck with next FMs.

. When i pulled the lever down in tunnels, went up by the corridor towards the ladder, then boom, i was lying dead without noticeable reason. Or was there any ? And so on.

I looked back once just before dieing and it was the skull from the pole in the room with the lever

As others have mentioned this mission could have benefited from more testing. Also, it feels a bit awkward the way the objectives change so many times and it feels like there isn't enough notification or warning about it.

Others will probably strongly disagree with me, but I thought the daylight stealth was a rather interesting change of pace. I liked having to approach it differently than I would if there were less light. However, while I think they should detect you this easily, I think the NPCs are too quick to attack you when they do see you.

I think it would help make it more comfortable if they didn't jump to completely alert as quickly when they see you. I mean, just becuase someone is standing where he shouldn't doesn't immediately mean that he intends to do harm or even if he does that doesn't necessarily mean he's a threat worth using lethal force against.

It would be nice if there was an alert level for less paranoid situations where the AI will approach and attempt to force you out of an area without using lethal force, though I'm not sure whether that's doable or would fit with The Dark Mod since most missions don't need it.

When I started the mission I was like: "Fieldmedic you're my master, where are your shoes so I can polish them for you" but then it was gettin worse... I couldnt get into the maze without no clip, the guard was detecting me straight away and I really tried to do that differently... I couldnt read bernards diary either. the dumpin bodies thing didnt work as well. Jumping through the window into the attic of stable was damn hard. I think too hard... BUT I MANAGED! ;D

Whole FM is very original, I'd say you'll win the contest if you just fix the bugs but I would also suggest more ways of infiltrating rooms and such. This engine isn't good for well lit areas but you did the best effort to make a beautiful summer FM. CONGRATS :)

When I started the mission I was like: "Fieldmedic you're my master, where are your shoes so I can polish them for you" but then it was gettin worse... I couldnt get into the maze without no clip, the guard was detecting me straight away and I really tried to do that differently... I couldnt read bernards diary either. the dumpin bodies thing didnt work as well. Jumping through the window into the attic of stable was damn hard. I think too hard... BUT I MANAGED! ;D

Whole FM is very original, I'd say you'll win the contest if you just fix the bugs but I would also suggest more ways of infiltrating rooms and such. This engine isn't good for well lit areas but you did the best effort to make a beautiful summer FM. CONGRATS :)

Thank you :)

Did you play ver 1.01? You should get a message that tells you that the maze isn't open and you should start searching the houses.

So the book is still bugged? I just don't get why it must fuck with me! It's just an ordinary readable :blink: Why cannot it work as the other books? And it's a quite important readable, that finish of the story snugly. (Without knowing what's inside, the player won't get the whole point of the mission...)

Got it! For some damn reason, the xdata was written in another file that didn't get included with the map pack... it'll be fixed in ver 1.02

I can't find any problems going through the window in the barn/stable. It's just jumping...

I really don't wanna say so, but sometimes it feels like it's some kind of bug with 1.06. One example is the lamp over the pool table. The skin stays lit even though the lamp is off...And TDM crashes more often now than before 1.06...Malloc errors and stuff, often occuring after dmapping one map, play it, and then dmap another.

Damn TDM-team, you've destroyed my mission! :P

But as said before, the mission is more or less a experiement on the daylight theme.

I will work more solidly on my main mission now, Not An Ordinary Guest. If the sun doesn't shine on me this summer, I will release it in September sometime...

Edited by Fieldmedic

Lovely red houses... this must be from Scandinavia. smileymania.at_10480.gif

A great mission with lots of nice details (even in the toilet)

And TDM crashes more often now than before 1.06...Malloc errors and stuff, often occuring after dmapping one map, play it, and then dmap another.

Glad I'm not the only one. Doom crashes when I try to save the game. :(

People have zmalloc crashes after update?

You'd better check your doomconfig.cfg.

These setting should be like this

seta image_usePrecompressedTextures "1"

seta image_useNormalCompression "2"

seta image_useAllFormats "1"

seta image_useCompression "1"

seta image_preload "1"

If compression is not enabled, TDM will chew a lot more memory, which might cause the crashes.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Well, of course dmap will give you malloc failures. It's an unpolished developer tool, so I'm certain iD didn't agonize over ultra-stingy memory management when it's not necessarily for public use.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

Well, of course dmap will give you malloc failures. It's an unpolished developer tool, so I'm certain iD didn't agonize over ultra-stingy memory management when it's not necessarily for public use.

I'm just puzzled 'cos I've done quite a few dmappings in my career thus far and I've never ever encountered any malloc failures.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Brilliant mission! Interesting scripting on the HUD and tunnels were very cool. One sort-of bug. I can't figure out the spoiler tags, so I hope I'm both sufficiently cryptic and clear: It involved dumping a body on a hatch and later, the hatch would not open unless I grabbed and carried the body through the hatch artwork (before opening, clipping problem) and dropping it elsewhere.

It would be nice if there was an alert level for less paranoid situations where the AI will approach and attempt to force you out of an area without using lethal force, though I'm not sure whether that's doable or would fit with The Dark Mod since most missions don't need it.

Cool idea, "get out of here taffer!" shake fist for 4 seconds "I'm warning you!" and then go full out.

Brilliant mission! Interesting scripting on the HUD and tunnels were very cool. One sort-of bug. I can't figure out the spoiler tags, so I hope I'm both sufficiently cryptic and clear: It involved dumping a body on a hatch and later, the hatch would not open unless I grabbed and carried the body through the hatch artwork (before opening, clipping problem) and dropping it elsewhere.

Hehe, no bodies should be placed onto the hatches. I really should have made these uniteruptable...

Cool you liked it :)

One thing I liked when playing FM contests for the original thief games was that there was usually one entry where someone would try and do something that broke the mould. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't but nevertheless it was always fun to be taken out of your comfort zone. Hopefully this trend continues with Dark mod contests. Persoanlly I really enjoyed this mission. it took a bit of getting used to. The tension meter made me feel like I was playing Hitman at times, which is no bad thing.

I really liked the story. I think this FM has the best story that utilises a seasonal theme. I liked the sound effects in the tunnels. They created a really tense atmosphere. I like been in spooky places where you know something bad can happen but it doesn't, like in the first part of Shalebridge cradle. The more you expect something to jump out at you and the longer it doesn't, it just keeps building that tension. great stuff!

It was nice seeing the dark mod in daylight without any shadows. Lovely maze too.

I found the readables were way too long! At the beginning of the map when I read Alma and Carls diarys I was thinking am I playing a dark mod FM or reading a novel? As much as I liked the story I didn't think the readables needed to be that long. In order to progress I had to to do way too many loads and saves. I'd love to see someone attempt to iron man this.

So some things worked, some things didn't but I guess thats the price you pay when you try something different. Taking that into account this might be my persoanl favourite of the contest. It took me 3 - 4 hours to complete but I was so emmersed that it didn't feel that long at all. Took some getting used to but in the end very enjoyable. Thank you very much Fieldmedic.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

Went back to play this one (as I had to take a break from the contest missions, and do some betatesting). I anticipated that it might have been updated during the interim -- and I see that it has been, to 1.02.

But...

This FM is also (along with "Siege Shop") NOT in the in-game downloader list.