The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Reap as you sow by Fieldmedic (2011/06/19)

DeTeEff

49 members have voted

1. 1. Seasonal Theme captured?

• No Season defined
    • Barely defined Season
    • Season is clear, nothing more
    • Season is captured well
    • Near Perfect, evokes the feel of the Season
  2. 2. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag?

3. 3. Aesthetics: Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style. Audio, use mood. Storytelling and consistency?

I have added a dropbox link to the FM page. As I understand that should update the mirrors.

Here is the link for your convenience:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/17706561/reap.pk4

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/17706561/reap.pk4

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

• 1 month later...

I just played the latest version without trying the earlier ones. With the new AI changes to make them take slightly longer before deciding to charge you if they see you, this is very playable! Just find hard cover and lean around to see if anyone is there first. I really liked the new gameplay and the story/readables. Visuals were a bit blocky, but I understand that may be a limitation of a wide open are that's fully lit.

It would take more work, but it might be neat if there were two possible endings: Either frame Alma with the ring hoping to get paid by Oscar, or show her the ring and Bernhard's diary yourself, for justice. I guess whoever takes over will still end up in the frost lands, regardless.

Oh, one other nitpick to the otherwise great gameplay:

It seemed like it was harder than it should be to jump into the top windows of the barn, because those two windows were set up as a double-door (frob one of them and they both open). When jumping from the stack of crates, if both doors are open, you tend to just bounce off the closer window-shutter, meaning you're unable to mantle the window sill. It would have been MUCH easier if you could frob the far shutter open but leave the close one closed, so that you had a direct path to jump and mantle the far one.

I eventually got in by stacking two buckets, but I had to first mantle on top of the close shutter, then drop down to the window sill. It seemed like if those shutters were just set to open individually, it would have been easier to do by stacking only one bucket.

Also, I felt like some stuff should have been mantle-able but was player clipped, like those bales of hay below the enter-able barn window. Maybe that's just to represent that the hay would compress in reality and you couldn't stand on it as if it was solid?

• 1 year later...

I'm stuck in this mission and I think it's due to a bug (or I've done something wrong):

I managed to KO partolling guard near the entrace to labyrinth, and that teleported me to snow realm. I killed the guy there and found a ring. Teleported back to labyrinth, I managed to hide bodies, and then robbed statue from jewels, which teleported me to snow realm again. This time it's empty and I'm stuck. Is it a bug, or I did something wrong?

Edited by Furman

• 1 month later...

I finally managed to play through that Mission, and found it quite intriguing. The plot develops nicely, and there is much to read about what happened.

There were some quirks for me though, but most of them I can only write from memory:

(I used the Darkmod ingame mission downloader to get the mission)

- The Farm Ledger has wrong numbers (the one from the first entry) in the entry that marks the first time there is real profit

- One of the books has a different time scheme than the others (most around 1708-1714 or something, and one documenting that the father made something, I think it were the irrigation tunnels, in 1780 something. In that book most/all times are that way)

- One readable had a two word phrase written twice (sorry cannot remember which)

- I start on expert on most missions, was unfamiliar with the significance of the tension meter, and the mission said I was invited. Since I also didn't read about the mission here first, I missed that on expert you start elsewhere, and wherever I was going someone saw me and ended the mission for me, which I didn't understand at all. That should be spelled out in the mission description for expert, that you start somewhere not safe. (I assumed i could wander around normally at first)

- I would have liked a hint, that the bodies, after the snow experience, have to be dropped on top of the hole and have to fall down themselves, as nothing happened when I just carried them down, which is my normal thief behaviour - I don't just dump anyone anywhere, and I seldom rely on ragdoll physics to let a body fall somewhere. At first I though i was stuck until I found the solution in this thread.

- I didn't get Bernards Journal, I am not sure where I should have got it, this thread seems to suggest I should have got it from his body? That way I missed part of the story, and I also wasn't really sure why I should kill that person in the snowland now, apart from the objective.

- The flower beds need a "Keep Off" sign ;-)

- I didn't realize the old woman upstairs was Alma, and so was a bit confues why I didn't find her, since in one entry she stated she knows where he is and that she will go find him.

- It wasn't really clear to me why the curse struck, thats nothing that must be clear, but since Alma owned the land for some time too it isn't clear why she wasn't affected, Bernard was only after a longer time, and Oscar was affected fast, after a few weeks.

- Daylight sneaking is often too much trial and error (although it can be minimized by obervance quite a bit)

So far so good, despite some problems I really had fun, thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

[Less than a month. Am I ressurrecting the thread?]

I enjoyed this one. I had one hell of a tough time, but I liked it at the end.

For starters, it was nice to interpret a private eye. A cleptomaniac private eye at that, but anyway. I began at Expert, as I do in Thief and am doing in Dark Mod. Could not ignore the Tension meter; did not know what it did, but anyway. So, for a curious start, I jumped on the table at the front yard, then on the barrel, trying to childishly mantle the wall. Door opened, a maid saw me

(who might be or not the sister),

she imediately panicked, and mission failed. "Ok". Restarted in Hard difficulty. I must have quick loaded it fifty times. This mission hits the mark as a day time intruder simulator.

The storyline is unexpectadly thick. I'm new around here, but I've seen the author FieldMedic often. It seems he's a creative plot writer. But, back to the mission, I can see why some people criticize the length of the texts, they are big indeed. As for me, my only embarassement was that by the end, I wasn't so sure of the male characters. The father and the two brothers' names confused me. On I read and on I forgot who

was it that ran away, who was it that hired me, who was it that was the distant jerk.

But, of course, as any good FM go, the adjacent plot you find yourself involved is great.

The map composition I found good. Succint. I think another vantage point, besides the barn, maybe on top the guard's rooms, would be good. But this is me, I like vantage and overhead points. But like people said above, you may be utterly confused to see the maze closed, if you are so inclined to venture there. The bright red painting of the house and barn , in my memory, highlights the time of the day, and the agrarian theme.

creepy irrigation tunnels! the hype with the sighting of snow, a spider (which I did not see) and the last stand of the pagans, made it to be a hell of a tunnel to traverse. Incredible to see the working of the Winter curse down at the control station. But I gotta ask, near there, I heard footsteps, on snow. Who is it? The guard the captain refered to in his report?

My biggest letdown, I think, was the state of mind I was when I

plucked out the statue's eyes and was transported to that awesome winter circle of hell

. Because of the alertness of those guards and servants in the maze, I skulked under those low hedges, I darted from green corner to green corner and was aware as a stressed cat to the sound of their steps on the other side of the walls. I really lament not being able to walk the level peacefully, with the ticket I had to do it. Also, how did we got to the conclusion of

killing the wandering brother there to finish the curse? Seemed arbitrary and bloody.

I see this was a seasonal mission. Maybe the author did not have much time to tidy these spots, but anyway, it was good. (and funny, the mission enlarges in size while I write about it).

Edited by apostrophe

• 1 month later...

Hello Guys,

I uploaded a video about the full walkthrough to here:

(the video is full linear, because I cutted off the failed tryings)

1 important bug: don't KO the guard which is near the entrance of the Maze, because you'll be teleported into the snowy area, and you can back only 1 time from there!

Edited by Giskard_hun

• 3 months later...

Hello,

I'm having an issue with the epilog at the end, I can't 'turn the page', when I click on the arrow, nothing happens, and I can clearly hear that I'm still in the game, I can walk, change weapons, etc...

Is this mission compatible with TDM 2.0 ?

• 7 months later...

This was a really awesome mission, as it had a lot of unique elements! It's first of all the only TDM mission I know of that takes place during the daytime, which puts an end to my curiosity of how a day mission would be. It also uses many nice concepts... such as the tension meter, and the AI turning on you only when you're in areas where you're not allowed. This mission reminded me of Hitman for some reason :) Lastly, thank you for being one of the (fewer) mission designers who bothered to add an outro, rather than going directly to the "mission complete" window without getting any ending.

On the downsides: A mission during the day is certainly not easy, and I can see why TDM doesn't have many. Once you're in the garden, it's mostly a matter of luck not to have someone looking your way, as you don't really have where to hide if they do... the indoors are darker and easier though. The detail outside was also kind of lacking... I think the mapping could have been of better quality outdoor.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

I'm stuck. I'm playing the middle difficutly. I just started. I hid by where the manhole cover is, knocked out the patrolling guard by the sign that says Private Property, and was instantly transported to the snow scene.

I found the body of carl, and his ring and sword. I also saw Bernard and knocked him out.

I cannot find my way out of the snowland. How do I get out of here?

fosig_zpshhfnjs18.png

• 1 year later...

I can see your point, but there was no way I was framing an innocent woman just cos she was an intelligent woman fighting for a place in a man's world. I stopped playing and came here once that objective popped up. I wanted to see if there was another way of completing the mission without doing that - to see if it was a test. Good game and thanks for the work you put in, but that's my feedback

Why wouldn't the protagonist be so evil that he could frame Alma? He's not exactly a well doer, he's only in for it for the money and besides, he suspects that the sole reason Oscar hires you is because he WANTS to frame Alma.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...