The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Alberic's Curse by b1k3rdude (Updated: 01/11/2014)

Bikerdude

• I don't think I remember the dense fog in the original,
  • the pagan wisp light things are definitely new.
  • The crypts were definitely harder. Had to be more careful down there.

• The latest update was langushing around on my HDD for months, so am glad its now out there.
  • Yep, courtesy of Darm on one of the campaign missions.
  • I added more Ai through out the church :-)

• 3 weeks later...

The first thing I absolutely loved was the forest. I haven't seen an outdoor environment of this scale and detail in another TDM map, so certainly a huge +1 to that!

As for the rest... well it did a fantastic job at creating a very scary and morbid and claustrophobic environment. The worst part was when I got to the underground area... which contained giant spiders, for which I have a phobia IRL. To get through that area, I had to take on the challenge of playing from 3 meters away from my monitor (yay for wireless keyboard + mouse) with sound off and the window sized down to 800 x 600... which overall was fun and a sight people would have probably enjoyed seeing for laughs :D

I never found that doll however... curiosity still makes me wonder where it was located.

Edited by MirceaKitsune

1. The first thing I absolutely loved was the forest. I haven't seen an outdoor environment of this scale and detail in another TDM map, so certainly a huge +1 to that!

As for the rest... well it did a fantastic job at creating a very scary and morbid and claustrophobic environment.

To get through that area, I had to take on the challenge of playing from 3 meters away from my monitor, which overall was fun and a sight people would have probably enjoyed seeing for laughs :D

I never found that doll however... curiosity still makes me wonder where it was located.

1. Thanks, the original miuch lower detail forest was created by one of our team members and I then did several detail and perf. passes. But you once TDM 2.03 is out shoudl will then have to play "No Honour Among theives" as that has an even bigger forest to run around in.

Yeah, took a few detail passes to get that just right.

LOL what r u like.

hint: think of the small outside huts.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Just finished the mission and I truly enjoyed it! I like old castles and monasteries and the one in this mission is very nice.

Maybe a bit too well lit for such a haunted place but still I like it.

The mission took me roughly 5-6 hours on hardest difficulty without killing a single zombie .. except one spider, he saw me! :-)

Thank you for wonderful few evenings :-)

Yeh this was my Learn level design level lol Lots of great lessons.

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

• 2 months later...

Away from TDM for awhile ... returned to find it updated twice since I last played it ... look forward to trying the new missions, etc ... :-)

Just finished this mission, really liked it! I"ve always preferred the 'never be seen, leave no evidence of having passed through' style missions - this one is great for that!

With that, sorry to say I've to report a few small issues ... mostly cosmetic or engine-reated.

Ceiling issue when entering the living quarters area:

1%20-%20living%20quarters%20entrance%20c

Baths area in living quarters ... I frobbed then immediately dropped the item to check if it was valuable, it landed half way thru the shelf:

2%20-%20baths%20area_4.jpg?t=1496804782

Collision engine issue with buckets and walls, perhaps:

3%20-%20baths%20collision%20issue_2.jpg?

The spiders, or at least this one, seem to 'climb' the ladders over long stretches of time as turn in place:

4%20-%20spider%20climbs%20ladder%20as%20

Finally - it seems humans are able to pick up ghosts once they are, er, deceased (having broken the curse) ...

5%20-%20can%20move%20ghost_2.jpg?t=14968

Just a few cosmetic issues, really ... excellent story, albeit brief in readables and story-forwarding contexts ... as I'm the kind who tends to search all over before moving into the main areas, I'd no troubles with the layout of the current-and-as-I-understand-it FINAL version of this mission ...

Always good missions from you, and this is another excellent one, I look forward to replaying the others ... keep up the good work!

• Like 1

It's never a three hour tour.

Cool! A final thought is that somewhere in the thread prior, someone observed that a tree limb was visible inside a room in an upper corner but that to fix the visual error the tree would need be moved. I noted that as well, but didn't think to screen-shot it and I forget where it was. As the previous observer stated, its just cosmetic and not overly obvious or intrusive to the mission to the point immersion is broken - its so common in so many games its mostly just tuned out. :-p Look forward to your next missions!

Edit: You said you've updated the mission ... for completeness' sake, has the mission link been updated with the corrections yet? The missions page only has a 'Submitted' date, there is no 'last updated' column, nor does the 'Mission Details' page.

Edited by rinscewind
  • Like 1

It's never a three hour tour.

• 1 month later...

A little late, but I played through Alberic's Curse several months ago and ran
into a bug I forgot to report and just remembered.
I caught some attention and bailed near the pulpit. Later in the mission, I
could not find the book. I spent a large amount of time covering the entire
mission trying to find out where I could have missed it. I had played through
the missions several times before. I eventually nocliped around a bit and
finally found that the book had clipped through the bottom of the pulpit and
ended up on a solid surface below and outside the mission. I guess a baddy
managed to get behind the pulpit and step on it and push it through the floor.

Edit:

Also, I had to pick up the update from Southquarter.

It seems Dark Mod missions never get appropriately pushed to the server.

Edited by Durandall

Biker, how did you edit the subject line to add the Update? Love this level, one of the best examples of a forest.

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

Biker, how did you edit the subject line to add the Update? Love this level, one of the best examples of a forest.

you just go full edit on the OP.

Currently getting it uploaded to the mirrors as we speak.

@Who ever does FM management now - did this request get done..?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have asked for this to be done 2x time now, has it been done because there has been no confirmation? I would do this myself but don't have the rights anymore.

What's going on?

I checked the three main FTP servers and it seems like there is a file that was uploaded on south quarter which is slightly larger in file size and has a date of the 8th of June 2017. The other two files on Fidcal and Taaaki's servers still show as a slightly smaller 2014 version... however all three of them have the same filename "alberic3.pk4" and the version number on the FM admin page lists 3 as the latest.

Did you want me to move the 2017 version over to the other two ftp servers and then update the version number to 4 on the FM admin page?

Also you mentioned that you had already asked someone to do this twice before, who was that?

• I checked the three main FTP servers and it seems like there is a file that was uploaded on south quarter which is slightly larger in file size and has a date of the 8th of June 2017. The other two files on Fidcal and Taaaki's servers still show as a slightly smaller 2014 version
  • Did you want me to move the 2017 version over to the other two ftp servers and then update the version number to 4 on the FM admin page?
  • Also you mentioned that you had already asked someone to do this twice before, who was that?

Evening

• I dont have access to the thread (members should have access), but the june 2017 sounds like the latest
  • yes please.
  • In the other thread that I dont have access too anymore.

Evening

• I dont have access to the thread (members should have access), but the june 2017 sounds like the latest
  • yes please.
  • In the other thread that I dont have access too anymore.

Alrighty i've updated the two other main FTP servers with the june 2017 build and marked the FM page as version number 4.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Just played through this mission on 2.06 beta. Did not finish, unfortunately :unsure:

I have realized why I don't like missions with undeads today. It is because there are too many of undead, and you generally don't have enough weapons to kill them all (although I have found a lot of weapons in this mission, I still doubt that I could kill all the haunts with them). So it becomes increasingly annoying to search for something over the whole map when you have to constantly hide from those dead bastards. Also, you cannot turn on your lantern, because it usually means quick death if some door opens nearby, so you have to search most places in complete dark, which makes your search less reliable and less colourful. As a result, the initial fear of undead in the mission gradually turns into almost complete neglectance of them and save-load scumming.

In an ordinary mission, I can at least play in the "knock-them-all" style, which makes additional passes over the map faster and less annoying.

I don't like the autoclosing doors. First they really freaked my out, because I thought that someone or something was closing it :o After I got the idea of autoclosing doors, I still don't like it because it makes it harder to remember where you have been and where you haven't, which is not easy in this mission :laugh:

I entered through the crypts and quickly found enough loot. Then it was rather easy to find the scepter and the book.

After that I got stuck completely with the curse removal objective. I have rescanned the whole map, and I did not find any clue about the curse.

I have looked through this thread and noclipped through the map, and here is what I don't understand:

1. I don't have "player notes", where do I find them?

2. On the second scan through the crypt, I noticed a closed iron door with broken handle which I cannot enter. Noclipping revealed that it contains the sarcophagus with a skull. I did not understand how I'm supposed to enter this room even with noclipping. How?

3. As I wrote above, I did not get any information about the skull/pool ritual. I have read all the books I met, and explored probably everything which can be easily explored. How is player supposed to know about the ritual?

With noclipping and forum reading, I managed to get the skull and put it into the pool :D , and finished the mission properly.

I have realized why I don't like missions with undeads today. It is because there are too many of undead, and you generally don't have enough weapons to kill them all (although I have found a lot of weapons in this mission, I still doubt that I could kill all the haunts with them). So it becomes increasingly annoying to search for something over the whole map when you have to constantly hide from those dead bastards. Also, you cannot turn on your lantern, because it usually means quick death if some door opens nearby, so you have to search most places in complete dark, which makes your search less reliable and less colourful. As a result, the initial fear of undead in the mission gradually turns into almost complete neglectance of them and save-load scumming.

In an ordinary mission, I can at least play in the "knock-them-all" style, which makes additional passes over the map faster and less annoying.

Mate, you can't always win easely :P

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.