The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Alberic's Curse by b1k3rdude (Updated: 01/11/2014)

Bikerdude

Thanks, finished it. Here is my verdict:

I did make my life difficult choose the season I did, but I'm happy I did because I knew no one else would have. Yeah by the time I got to the end of the building the mission I was suitable happy with the atmosphere, but I have to ask did I make you jump on occasion?:D The design was easier than it would have otherwise been as it was based on a T2 mission that never made it out of beta, but a good 40% of the mission is brand new, another 30% is modification of the original design and the remaining 30% is all Darkangel's original vision. Regarding the start area, I did consider making it bigger but I didnt have the time or the motivation to figure that into the story. I too love the blackjack, but yu jusdt gotta remind yourself your a master thief, not some taffer :laugh: And the story could haver been better (which wasnt helped by my grammers in places) but 6 weeks etc..

Here be my review:

Had I more time I wanted to make wind blown leaves etc. Yeah, I agree

the 'sleeping' Ai should have been patrolling

- I always worry that too many Ai will kill the fps on lower end machines, so it was a balance I guess. But I had hope that said Ai wouldnt be the easy to see etc. And its all me, I start with a basic idea and then customize/modify as I go. I wake or get home and think, "ah yes now that would look good there" etc. But I will admit

the forest section

was a prefab from a mission made by Mortem and I just put a spin on it. We have had something similar in T2 missions, but point taken, "above all else keep the immersion factor" And yeah, completely agree my gameplay and scripting skills need loads of improvement. I'm annoyed with myself I didn't make it harder, will update it after the contest.

And yeah, completely agree my gameplay and scripting skills need loads of improvement

if you want to do something,just ask me

i must say that your mapping skills is awesome like your imagination and proportion feeling

and scripting is not main thing... my fan mission was hard-coded and its failed

Edited by Shadowhide

Proceed with caution!

Well back in the day when as Fid's put it, I was just 'Tricycledude' I self taught myself proportion for things by using doors as a constant. At grid setting 4 in DR a door is 6x12 squares, its easy then to figure out a room etc. And this was before reading any info on the wiki. I used it when looking at T2/Cathedral of the damned on my laptop and manually visualising from the laptop to Dr on the main pc.

Pretty nice and scary one! Really liked this and played through. But maybe instead of revealing the optional missions, you could have bring them into more context via books etc. to make the player want to get them by himself, not for the goals - but naahh, what am I sayin' .. great mission!

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Not finished yet but I already voted: this mission is AWESOME!

You now master the visual control, Biker. The visual beaty of this mission is really incredible.

As for gameply too i'll review it when it will be finished :laugh:

(but till now::rolleyes:)

Loved it. Very cool. Though I didn't find the AI challenging, but keeping my bearings through all those doors was the big challenge... "now that I have a key, where the hell was that locked door again??" LOL.

I forgot to browse my inventory at the beginning of the mission, so I completed all objectives but spent an hour:

... looking for that damn doll :) Then I realized that I had a notes scroll with a clue in it. I should have known better since I put in a player notes scroll into my upcoming FM.

I also wasted some time carrying around the wrong skull all over the place and dropped it into 3 different pools of water, blush.gif

I must admit I didn't ghost it though, but it wasn't until I was doing my last objective (optional) that I got any AI's attention.

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

Great mission Bik3rdude!! Enjoyed every minute exploring, but I need more of a clue as to where the doll is?? I read the clue about the girl running away from the ghost but I still don't get it?

Thanks for any help.

pwl

i just happened to be re-reading the optional objectives in the menu, and said to myself "oh i still need to find this doll", closed the menu, and there it was 10 feet in front of me. Never found the entrance to the Maw though :rolleyes:

very nice and spooky fm :-)

could open all doors except one on the higher floors.

but i think the ghost-ai isnt so suspicious than the human ones...

or was there a change between v.105 and 1.06?

because on 1.05 on xpert the ai heard u if u were crouched running the ghosts dont care and run along starring at me because im not absultely invisible ^^

i didnt find the leaver in the bookcase which is mentiod before...

really nice atmoshpere but the story before the mission is shorter than normal ones... so i felt thrown into the mission not knowing why im here...

all in all very nice mission even if it could be bigger ^^

greetz Mc

ps: i found a small bug: there is a room with a hole in the floor and inside the room are 1 big and 1 small crate. by touching the small one the big fall through the massive floor to the next floor and blocked a patrolling ghost ^^

Edited by McPhisto2051