The Dark Mod Forums

Translating the TDM GUI

Tels

Can some admin please move all the off-topic posts to a new thread? And could people please stop hjijacking this thread for irrelevant-to-translation topics? Thank you!

Back to the topic at hand:

In some cases we are using bitmaps where I think we could use texts, examples are the headers marked on this screen, some back button, as well as f.i. the header of the "Objectives" screen in the menu (which is a bitmap) compared to the one in-game (which is text):

post-144-130894368352_thumb.jpg

Would it be acceptable if we switched these to (translateble) text? It looks like it uses carleton, anyway. I know it won't solve the issue, but it will be a step in the right direction. I can make a test and a screenshot of this, if wanted.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Great work so far, it's a whole new (good) feeling to see the texts in german as it is pretty hard for me (mostly the readables) to follow up.

Are there any plans to do german (french/italic/...) voice acting? I would help but I think I can't do that wonderful rough guard voice acting ^^°

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

Yes I guess that this should be done by people who are native speakers mein Freund ;)

But as I said, a decent voice and a studio would be necessary. Guess my Karaoke-Microphone isn't a proper thing for this ^^

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

I've written a script that can take our mix of translated/untranslated strings, the doom original english file, as well as a new file (in this case either the D3 original translation, or Hyerons translation) and figure out which string we miss and where there is a new translation. All in all this netted us some 100 strings for Italian, Spanish and French, mostly the basic things like names of keys, settings like "Fullscreen" etc.

How about making those .lang files available so that native speakers can translate them? I'd do the missing strings for French.

Briareos, that would be a tremendous help. I'm sure Tels will give you the link to the LANG-file pack.

SeriousToni, with the help of Audacity even my headset microphone can produce decent results. Johannes' FM will have massive (German and English) voice acting, and if we find someone with a decent enough voice, he could do the German Guard lines.

"Halt! Wärr isst da?!"

"Jarrwohl, weitärrmachänn!"

"Ah! Mein Leben!"

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

7upman, are you kiddin'? I have no problem sacrificing the time for recording voice packs for a character to do a contribute to this mod. But we need to arrange who does speak/translate which lines. Hm, it's hard to describe.. I mean everyone must know which lines for which character he has to speak. E.g. "guard_male01" spoken by Tels, "servant_male03" by SeriousToni, etc.

But I don't have the overview right now, which lines I had to record for "servant_male03". Are the affected sounds sorted by this way? So I may can open these libraries and find out, which lines I have to translate.

I would propose that I translate these lines into german and someone else has a look for correction over it before I'm "composing" those.

"Halt! Wärr isst da?!"

"Jarrwohl, weitärrmachänn!"

"Ah! Mein Leben!"

There's not goin' to be a Hitler ingame, or is it 7upman? :P

Edited by SeriousToni

Once the strings are translated I'll try to see over at the french forums if I can put together a team of voice actors as well. I have no recording gear but someone just might have.

Edited by Briareos H

7upman, are you kiddin'? I have no problem sacrificing the time for recording voice packs for a character to do a contribute to this mod. But we need to arrange who does speak/translate which lines. Hm, it's hard to describe.. I mean everyone must know which lines for which character he has to speak. E.g. "guard_male01" spoken by Tels, "servant_male03" by SeriousToni, etc.

I get what you mean. However, while I'm perfetly willing to do this job, neither I nor Johannes really have the voices necessary for good voice acting. However, I don't know if Audacity has an un-crap filter for voices... ^_^

But I don't have the overview right now, which lines I had to record for "servant_male03". Are the affected sounds sorted by this way? So I may can open these libraries and find out, which lines I have to translate.

I would propose that I translate these lines into german and someone else has a look for correction over it before I'm "composing" those.

So do you have the original script lines, or would you go over the TDM-provided OGG files and write down what is said? In any case, I propose to get the script lines for translation from one of the main guys here. No idea who did the recording/provided the script: Springheel or New Horizon? The translation work will then be the least of our worries.

There's not goin' to be a Hitler ingame, or is it 7upman? :P

No, but I saw a chance to get my favourite line quoted. I loved that back in the Wolf3D days. ^^

After I updated svn yesterday and started a mission, I found that all of the weapon name overlays had changed to "str_#xxxx" placeholders. Has something been missed from SVN, or is there something I need to do on the client to enable the English translation strings? It only seemed to affect the weapons (lower left), the items (lower right) and all menus were in English as usual.

So do you have the original script lines, or would you go over the TDM-provided OGG files and write down what is said? In any case, I propose to get the script lines for translation from one of the main guys here. No idea who did the recording/provided the script: Springheel or New Horizon? The translation work will then be the least of our worries.

No, but I saw a chance to get my favourite line quoted. I loved that back in the Wolf3D days. ^^

No I don't have them either. No idea who did the recordings and if he has the lines - I would have to hear and translate them.

Is this Wolfenstein? Sounds like a funny game ^^

No I don't have them either. No idea who did the recordings and if he has the lines

I wrote all the scripts for the AI vocals and I still have them.

How about making those .lang files available so that native speakers can translate them? I'd do the missing strings for French.

That's a good idea! The file is here http://bloodgate.com/tmp/tdm_lang_2011-06-26.zip

It contains:

* an all.lang file, in UTF-8. If possible, please add missing translations (in the correct order please) here

* the generated french.lang, german.lang etc files in their correct encoding (usually ISO 8859-1, it is denoted at the top of each file). It might be easier to work in this file, if you find so, feel free to go in there and replace any english strings with the translations

In either case, please either email me the file (nospam-abuse@bloodgate.com), or post here so we can exchange PMs. I will take care of folding in any translations.

In any event, please do use accented characters etc freely, I'm confdent we will find a solution to show them in the menu. :)

Thank you in advance!

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

After I updated svn yesterday and started a mission, I found that all of the weapon name overlays had changed to "str_#xxxx" placeholders. Has something been missed from SVN, or is there something I need to do on the client to enable the English translation strings? It only seemed to affect the weapons (lower left), the items (lower right) and all menus were in English as usual.

I think it simply misses a new windows compile (I had to change quite some code places to properly translate the strings it pushes into the GUI), had hoped grayman would do one when he works on the vine arrows, but he seems not yet ready to commit his work. I can't produce atm do a windows DLL, tho. Sorry!

* an all.lang file, in UTF-8. If possible, please add missing translations (in the correct order please) here

* the generated french.lang, german.lang etc files in their correct encoding (usually ISO 8859-1, it is denoted at the top of each file). It might be easier to work in this file, if you find so, feel free to go in there and replace any english strings with the translations

Can you confirm that [language].lang files are there for convenience only? I'd rather work only in the UTF-8 file if it's all that's needed.

Also, does it contain the strings later used by graphic artists to edit bitmap titles, or just the strings that are used by the font engine?

Can you confirm that [language].lang files are there for convenience only? I'd rather work only in the UTF-8 file if it's all that's needed.

The .lang files are generated by a script from "all.lang", so they will be overwritten every time the script runs. They are not really for the convienence of the translaters, but they are used directly by the engine (because the engine cannot use UTF-8 and must have the untranslated strings in English, too, because it (seemingly) cannot use more than one language file at a time).

Also, does it contain the strings later used by graphic artists to edit bitmap titles, or just the strings that are used by the font engine?

It does not contain the strings for the Bitmaps, but it is a good idea to add them right now, even if we can't use them yet. I will do so, and post here if I have an updated language file archive.

I also planned to add a lot more generic strings (like location names etc), that people can use in FMs, so that f.i. you get automatically translated "Kitchen". However, coming up with a list of generic strings that *might* be useful is a bit hard :)

Is this Wolfenstein? Sounds like a funny game ^^

Jess. Zis is WOLFENSTEIIIN! I must have spend months in this game. ^^

I wrote all the scripts for the AI vocals and I still have them.

And, dearest Springheel, could you pleeeze provide us with those lines? When I think about it, can you put them on Fidcal's server (which seems to be a repository for TDM resources, iirc). This way anyone who'd like to do lines for TDM for any language could get them with no hassle. When you are about it, can you also put the planned stuff like pagan woman etc. there, too?

They're available in the developer forums, but I guess you don't have access to those. Do you have a link to Fidcal's repo?

Springheel, sorry, I have neither.

Fidcal can host things on "fidcal.com", I guess that is what is meant? If this fails, bloodgate.com might still have a bit of space. (although with all the FMs, I am running quickly out of space - can't we host FMs on the new SVN server, too?)

I'd be interested in the voice scripts as well.

In the meantime, here's the first version of the french translations. Please review those so I can know whether some of them are too long to fit in the screen.

BTW, is "plant key" a plant(botanical)-like key or a key for a plant?

I'll need the opinion of the french community for some words (e.g 'Builders', 'Lightgem'), so they might end up modified in the next version.

EDIT: link didn't get added?

Edited by Briareos H

Briareos, I don't think anybody in the TDM team is sufficiently fluent in French. However, Hyeron ("Nightwolf" in the ariane4ever forum) might be able to help you. Or have you already contacted him?