The Dark Mod Forums

Translating the TDM GUI

Tels

Oh. My. God. I'm speechless.

Would this work with all fonts (assuming accented sources exist)? O_O

Sort of :) You need someone who can draw the extra characters, and then someone who can write a file with the commands to patch them in (by using another character as the base, then "extending" it on the top or the bottom. Actually, once you know what you have to do, it takes you only a few minutes per character, and since each new character does not disturb the others, you can freely experiemnt.

Also, I have not tried it,but I *think* it might be possible to simple use the same texture from the 48 pixel size for the f.i. 24 pixel font - because the coordinates are given between 0..1 for s and t, and not in pixel. But I have not tried it, it might be it won't work - then you have to scale the image file (but this is a 10 second job in Gimp).

Also, I forgot to post here that I "painted" the accented characters in Gimp, and you cannot read the internal forums:) Done by copy&paste the original 48 pixel characters, plus a scaled variant of some accents I found in a free Carleton font (although it might be that I need to manually redraw them to make them stronger, they are a bit tiny atm):

Here is how it looks:

post-144-0-05020100-1319832370.png post-144-0-26274500-1319832446.png

The modified files as well as the Gimp native file are here (in case something happens to me):

http://bloodgate.com/tmp/carleton_new/

Note that I have NOT updated the translation testpackage(s) on my server,and the fontimage.dat file is in SVN, but not on my server. I will do so next week, because I want first to finish it a bit more. :)

Edit: Also, the spacing in the characters I draw is very tight (because I used a grid), and this will probably not work with the BOLD and GLOW variants - so I need to move the characters and then adjust the commands. Nothing spectacular, it is just an hour work or so. And I am on a deadline here, so anything like that has to wait until next week.

I just wanted to let you guys know that I did not forget you ;)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

• 2 weeks later...

1 Picture > 1000 Words:

post-144-0-86577100-1320698891_thumb.jpg

Of course, the Ax characters are also done, I just forgot to do another screenshot with them. Documentation is here: http://wiki.thedarkm...=I18N_-_Charset and here: http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Font_Patcher

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Is Dark Radiant available in other languages? Or the wiki? Not sure how far foreign mission authors would get without them.

Dark Radiant had German support as of v 1.3.0 .. (Not sure if anyone stepped-up to add any other languages... nothing in the release notes for later versions...)

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Is Dark Radiant available in other languages?

Yes, it is possible to have DR in other languages - but I think only German was produced (if not, I'd gladly translate it - the menus/buttons are probably not much text)

Or the wiki? Not sure how far foreign mission authors would get without them.

I guess that for now at least mission authors need to have a basic understanding of English - otherwise they could not really read the forum, either.

(There might be an entire "underground" of authors in f.i. Russian, or French, tho. The english-centered community would probably never know... tho I do find this a bit unlikely. The website isn't available in anything other than English, either.)

Dark Radiant had German support as of v 1.3.0 .. (Not sure if anyone stepped-up to add any other languages... nothing in the release notes for later versions...)

I do have v1.6.1 here, but I can't seem to find the place where to switch the language...

I do know that greebo and me (and possible another user) did the translation of the DR strings into German. However, I have no idea if the strings are already implemented.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

Johannes also pointed out that the German translation might need some love. For example, "translate" is translated as "Translahieren", which is uncomon in German ("Verschieben" would be a better choice). Also, "rotate" is translated as "Drehung", here "Rotieren" would be more fitting. Is the German string database still accessible? I'd like to go over the strings again and have a look. Maybe I can straighten out some unusual translations.

(There might be an entire "underground" of authors in f.i. Russian, or French, tho. The english-centered community would probably never know... tho I do find this a bit unlikely. The website isn't available in anything other than English, either.)

I could throw a stone or two towards the French community. DooM³ remains the main problem though. As usual. And that picture is pure win, BTW

EDIT - I mean they use Dromed already, so I don't think the fact DR is in English will be too much of a problem. And the translators could get to work too.

Edited by Hyeron

"Lie to a liar, for lies are his coin; Steal from a thief, for that is easy; lay a trap for a trickster and catch him at first attempt, but beware of an honest man"

- Arab proverb

I started a new topic for DR translation:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/13196-translatring-darkradiant/page__view__findpost__p__270485

Would be good if some moderator could move the last couple of posts over there.

After many more long hours with Gimp and vi, I now finished painting the accented chars for Carleton 24. I also did redraw the accents on the 48 variant, as they were a bit tiny compared to the characters.

Last but not least the character remapping code is not entirely correct - it switches the characters in order, instead of "at the same time". So if you change B5 to AC, and AC to DE you end up with B5 => DE, instead of AC. For now I reworked around this issue be reordering the character remapping tables (e.g. AC => DE, then B5 => AC), so we don't need a recompile for v1.07. But for v1.08 I'll need to fix the code.

Anyway here are the screenshots:

24 Variant done:

post-144-0-30766300-1321801989_thumb.jpg

48 before and after:

post-144-0-03770000-1321802099_thumb.jpg post-144-0-13341400-1321802173_thumb.jpg

7upman also sent in quite a few corrections to various strings in German, Russian and some other feedback, and there were some strings cut off, and this has been corrected. So things now look pretty solid in the menus and on the HUD. :wub:

The only things we are missing are 80% of Spanish (so if you know someone fluent in Spanish or are a Spanish native speaker yourself, please help us!) as well as a few job and location names in Polish (nothing serious, tho). Of course, translations into other languages like Dutch, Finnish or Swedish are always welcome, too!

Oh, and someone needs to paint/patch all the other fonts (otherwise accented characters in readables will be missing), and we still miss about 80% of the fonts in Russian, meaning in Russian almost all readables will be empty. So if you are able to help, now would the time to post here!

I should be able to help a bit with the fonts this weekend (as it goes from Thursday to Sunday for me, yay). As long as I have the tools and the instructions... :)

"Lie to a liar, for lies are his coin; Steal from a thief, for that is easy; lay a trap for a trickster and catch him at first attempt, but beware of an honest man"

- Arab proverb

Oh, and someone needs to paint/patch all the other fonts (otherwise accented characters in readables will be missing), and we still miss about 80% of the fonts in Russian, meaning in Russian almost all readables will be empty. So if you are able to help, now would the time to post here!

Hello there,

Sorry for absence, was very busy at work.

I've made all Cyrillic fonts for TDM:

<link obsolete, see below>

Modified TTF files are here:

ftp://djriff.homeftp...rufonts_ttf.rar

As some diacritical marks are already drawn in, I can re-encode TTFs and generate textures with accented characters. You need them to comply with the custom codepage, am I right?

Edited by Keeper_Riff

Riff, is there any particular workflow you followed when creating the Russian fonts? After all, there is a myriad of fonts TDM uses that have not been modified for the special characters. So if you've found a way to speed up the process (painting them by hand is supposed to be a tiresome process) and could share it with us, everyone would benefit.

I use FontLab to open an original TTF and add Cyrillic characters (mostly by combining various parts from existing ones). Then I save it as a new TTF with Win-1251 encoding applied to first 256 characters. Then I use Doom3 converter to create TGAs, then NVidia converter to make DDS. If you use some non-standard encoding, you'll have to create the codepage file describing it and put it into the FontLab directory.

Riff, is there any particular workflow you followed when creating the Russian fonts? After all, there is a myriad of fonts TDM uses that have not been modified for the special characters. So if you've found a way to speed up the process (painting them by hand is supposed to be a tiresome process) and could share it with us, everyone would benefit.

For technical reasons, I don't think we will get away without manually drawing the accented characters and patching the fontImage.dat files for the Western European langauges (English, German, French, Polis, Czech etc).

The reasons are:

* D3 does not load a different font for English and German, French etc. It does load a different font for Polish, tho. However, to keep things simple I hardwired it to use the same font as English, because otherwise we'd need two copies of each font for Polish alone. This means whatever we do to the font, it MUST be compatible to the old English font, just for the reason that otherwise readables might break, f.i. when an "E" is suddenly a pixel more wide or less wide.

* Most TTFs do not contain all the accented characters we need, so for some fonts (or some characters of some fonts), you need the manual labor, anyway

However, for Russian, there is no need to be compatible to the old English font, as it uses a different font, anyway, and the readables must be rewritten for the translation, anyway, making them fit on the pages.

@Keeper_Riff: Glad you found some time. It is too late for v1.07 but the fonts are likely to be part of an extra PK4 that we will release more or less at the same time as v1.07 so Russian works correctly. Thank you! (Also, the info about mixing TTFs is a good one, that should go on our wiki, too)

@Hyeron: I will post detailed instructions tomorrow or the day after.

doh.gif

I forgot to include MIP-maps in DDS files, they may not display correctly. Re-download please:

ftp://djriff.homeftp...nts_test_02.zip

Got it, many thanx!

@Keeper_riff. In your archive are two odd things:

* There are a carleton, nancy and mac_humain folder, but we already got these. Did you change these, or can I omitt them?

*The dds folder contains fontImage.dat files. I guess these are just copies and can go?

Mac_humaine was changed to resemble the original (the former one was some generic Romic font to test how it works at all AFAIR). I changed file names for Carleton and Nancy according to their original names, thus corrected *.dat files for it. The appearance of these hasn't changed, so you can keep the old ones as well.

*The dds folder contains fontImage.dat files. I guess these are just copies and can go?
Yes, surely.