The Dark Mod Forums

Translating the TDM GUI

Tels

Well, the odd thing is, I don't remember the string being cut on screen with the version I used. Anyway, unless everyone gains from it there's no point in creating YET another font imho. I'll see if I can find a way to rehash the strings in a shorter way or something. Part of the GUI can yet be improved, but it's far less of an emergency.

The pk4 is AOK. Will update ppl where I can so they switch my q&d fix with this one. :)

"Lie to a liar, for lies are his coin; Steal from a thief, for that is easy; lay a trap for a trickster and catch him at first attempt, but beware of an honest man"

- Arab proverb

Well, the odd thing is, I don't remember the string being cut on screen with the version I used. Anyway, unless everyone gains from it there's no point in creating YET another font imho. I'll see if I can find a way to rehash the strings in a shorter way or something. Part of the GUI can yet be improved, but it's far less of an emergency.

Well, Portuguese is also fairly long, and the German strings are longer than English too. The biggest advantage I see is the "key bindings", these are overly long and there is now real way we can shorten them. And the new font will only have a few modified letters in size 24 - even if I modify only 10 letters its a win with now downside :)

The pk4 is AOK. Will update ppl where I can so they switch my q&d fix with this one. :)

All right. I'll guess the russian update will be folded into that one, too. If you have anything else, please just post or email.

No promises about my online status, tho... :wacko:

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Tels,

just a short reply: I checked the german.lang and found that there are untranslated strings. Those strings are missing from the all.lang.

Examples:

"#str_08603" "A Note"

"#str_08604" "A Letter"

"#str_08605" "Paperscrap"

"#str_08606" "Piece of paper"

"#str_08607" "A Paper"

"#str_08608" "A Scroll"

"#str_08609" "A Book"

I'm too tired to do anything about it this evening, but I'll take care of this and Russian tomorrow.

By the way, I found that those last strings are untranslated for German too:

"#str_10156" "An Old Iron Key"

"#str_10157" "An Old Lock Key"

"#str_10158" "An Old Sewer Key"

I'm starting to get how you feel - for every problem fixed, two new arise... :-/

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

I'm starting to get how you feel - for every problem fixed, two new arise... :-/

Oh yeah :) The strings you found were probably added at a later stage by me - and I forgot to translate them to German. However, I don't think any FM uses them (yet). Hopefully the I18N FMs catch on, so we can get the benefits of all that work :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

MoroseTroll, I'll have to check that (later) because you translated

"#str_10157" "An Old Lock Key"

"#str_10158" "An Old Sewer Key"

as "Key for an old lock" and "Key for the old Sewer". Tels, Hyeron and the other translators, until now I was under the impression that "old" refers to "key". Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

Tels, Hyeron and the other translators, until now I was under the impression that "old" refers to "key". Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Correct as far as I'm concerned.

"Lie to a liar, for lies are his coin; Steal from a thief, for that is easy; lay a trap for a trickster and catch him at first attempt, but beware of an honest man"

- Arab proverb

Tels, Hyeron and the other translators, until now I was under the impression that "old" refers to "key". Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

Yes, "An old sewer key" means "the old key to the (new or not) sewers". If it was for the old sewers, then I guess it would be to "Key to the old sewers" (which is kinda long, tho :)

So far we have no specific names for "old" or "new" locations. These could be added, of course.

SeriousToni:

Posted Today, 12:57 PM

Hey Tels, did I do something wrong? I don't get ä, ö, ü, ß

Where does this occur? In the readables etc. the fonts are still missing the Umlauts, these are only done for Carleton (our menu font). Even the HUD font still misses these IIRC.

how can I help in the Italian translation of TDM? In the ver. 1.07 it is possible to change the language of the missions. If you need help, I am here.

Sei proprio italiano? Se vuoi, puoi aiutarmi nella traduzione delle fan mission. :D

@tels, a question: is the new sistem "stable"? can i begin to translate the mission with the new system? :D

Sei proprio italiano? Se vuoi, puoi aiutarmi nella traduzione delle fan mission. :D

@tels, a question: is the new sistem "stable"? can i begin to translate the mission with the new system? :D

si, sono italiano (Avezzano, AQ). ho trovato il link del I18n e curiosavo nei files .lang, ho anche cominciato a tradurre la training mission ma dovrei conoscere bene i simboli di formattazione del testo e i limiti dei caratteri per riga/pagina. usate qualche tools particolare?

se ti serve una mano a me va bene

Edited by knymed

si, sono italiano (Avezzano, AQ). ho trovato il link del I18n e curiosavo nei files .lang, ho anche cominciato a tradurre la training mission ma dovrei conoscere bene i simboli di formattazione del testo e i limiti dei caratteri per riga/pagina. usate qualche tools particolare?

se ti serve una mano a me va bene

Il training è stato già tradotto da me e da un mio amico qualche mesetto fa. :D

Ecco qui:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RMR1YWC7

L'interfaccia fin'ora l'ho tradotta tutta io. :D

E per finire ho tradotto tutte queste missioni:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/13001-my-fms-italian-translation/page__hl__%2Bitalian+%2Btranslation__fromsearch__1

Oltre ad esserci 5 missioni già pronte di cui 2 mi mancano da finire. :D

Vediamo di metterci in contatto così ti spego meglio cosa c'è da fare e ci organizziamo. :)

Mi puoi trovare su xfire, steam, msn.

Cosa preferisci?

Il training è stato già tradotto da me e da un mio amico qualche mesetto fa. :D

Ecco qui:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RMR1YWC7

L'interfaccia fin'ora l'ho tradotta tutta io. :D

E per finire ho tradotto tutte queste missioni:

http://forums.thedar...__fromsearch__1

Oltre ad esserci 5 missioni già pronte di cui 2 mi mancano da finire. :D

Vediamo di metterci in contatto così ti spego meglio cosa c'è da fare e ci organizziamo. :)

Mi puoi trovare su xfire, steam, msn.

Cosa preferisci?

steam è praticamente sempre attivo :D

http://steamcommunity.com/id/knymed/

Edited by knymed

Yes, that should work. The example missions here:

http://www.bloodgate.com/mirrors/tdm/pub/pk4/i18n/

show that it works (minus the fonts not having the proper accented characters, but that is something we can fix independently)

• 3 weeks later...

I am back online - and I was busy the whole time :) Will post a status report tomorrow.

Unfortunately, it seems nobody else did any new translations, updated any strings, painted any fonts etc? Or did I just miss it somewhere? Also, whats the status on the foreign forum - does anybody monitor what the Russian or French players are saying, are the using the new translations?

Have you received my PM with my updated Russian translation? Just in case, there it is.

Yes, thank you! Downloaded it, but had not time to merge it in.

Status report:

* I added the ability to change the width, as well as the Y position of characters to the font patcher

* added the Mason font (one very similiar to the one we used as the huge headlines)

* changed the "t" and "T" on the mason font to look more like our old version (with a cross on top), and patched the mason font to be more dense, and have the Capital Letters shifted down to the baseline

* sep. the menu parchments for the Settings and New Mission menus from their watermarks, their ornamental lines and their headline

* re-assembled everything with only the GUI code and used #defines for that so it is easy to use (just one line, like the old background)

Here is the result, new version on the left:

post-144-0-22797300-1325435323_thumb.jpg

In addition, I cloned the Carleton font, and used the font patcher to reduce the width of certain characters (also painted a few thinner). Here is the result (new one on the right):

post-144-0-44671300-1325435383_thumb.jpg

There were also a few small updates to the translation and spacing in some menus.

I have NOT updated the language update package on my server, because it would be rather huge, and need an update again soon when I finish the Load/Save, Download and Shop parchments. But these updates will be in v1.08 for sure.