The Dark Mod Forums

Translating the TDM GUI

Tels

Great stuff. The font match is spot-on. :smile:

This is perhaps a bit off-topic but now that the Doom 3 sources have been merged-in, are you still following the SDK methods or

have you replaced source hooks and virtual calls with native ones already?

(If that's even applicable to the code areas you are addressing, of course...)

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Yes, thank you! Downloaded it, but had not time to merge it in.

MoroseTroll, the next time you update the russian translation, please make sure that:

* you are editing strings/all.lang and regenerate russian.lang from it - then send me all.lang - the final russian.lang is very complicated for me to use!

* DO NOT translate "#str_07302" (Custom; ...) - this will not work!

* DO NOT change things like "Выключена;Включено" back to "Выкл.;Вкл."

It is very time consuming for me to undo all these edits again and again! ;)

Otherwise, thank you for your update, I merged it in. :wub: There are now two new strings missing from Russian:

"#str_02237" "Mission Loaded - Please Wait"

"#str_03015" "Braggard"

Also, we need a russian version of mason (see the huge headline in the screenshots above, or here for a lose reference: http://www.eaglefont...-ttf-156865.htm). Do you have such a font? Nevermind, see below http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/12863-translating-the-tdm-gui/page__view__findpost__p__274617 :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Great stuff. The font match is spot-on. :smile:

Thanx, it was a lot of work :)

This is perhaps a bit off-topic but now that the Doom 3 sources have been merged-in, are you still following the SDK methods or

have you replaced source hooks and virtual calls with native ones already?

(If that's even applicable to the code areas you are addressing, of course...)

Sorry to damp your ethusiasm, but:

No, greebo only just merged the source and our modified SDK - we haven't even begun replacing anything, and as greebo still is on the merge, the game code is off limits for the others for now.

You really should have more patience - greebo works on the integration, grayman works on his mission and on the AI on the side, and I waste my time with finishing the translation stuff - so there is actually no-one left to do any work on the codebase!

Even if we first fixed all the other bugs (where we don't need the source for it), we would have work for a year or two. Or 3 new people, which we don't have, either. So I have no idea when we can start really using the source, but it will be a slow process - do not expect any miracles from it! -_-

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Im afraid I still didnt have the time to sit down and study how to use the script to do the translations now. I also need to look for all the missing strings on the merged portguese translation that is currently installed on the mod to report you, or maybe you could point me to where the file is so I could manually correct/replace them and send it to you to install on the mod again? We have Thief's Den, I wanted to translate maybe Saint Lucia next, or I might just wait for the community mission picks and focuse the work on them first.

EDIT: While waiting for maps created with the separate pak files for texts strings, whats the best/official way to go about translating existing FMs in a way that will be easy for you/the team to replace and upload them? Again, all I did on Thief's Den or the Training Mission was to edit the files, keeping their original names, and then I sent you the zip or pak renamed to something like map-portuguese (if I rememder correctly). Whats the proper way here, or maybe I overlooked this particular information on the wiki articles?

Edited by RPGista

Thanx, it was a lot of work :)

Sorry to damp your ethusiasm, but:

No, greebo only just merged the source and our modified SDK - we haven't even begun replacing anything, and as greebo still is on the merge, the game code is off limits for the others for now.

You really should have more patience - greebo works on the integration, grayman works on his mission and on the AI on the side, and I waste my time with finishing the translation stuff - so there is actually no-one left to do any work on the codebase!

Even if we first fixed all the other bugs (where we don't need the source for it), we would have work for a year or two. Or 3 new people, which we don't have, either. So I have no idea when we can start really using the source, but it will be a slow process - do not expect any miracles from it! -_-

OK. I thought that the merge was completed to trunk and that you were free to begin tinkering and replacing. I guess Greebo is still performing code-base clean-up (just as the majority of the Doom 3 GPL community are doing).

Miracles? Quick turnaround? No, I am not expecting any of these.

I am just enthusiastic about the project and love hearing the details (even the messy ones).

Again, I was just curious about the "post-merge" workflow, but it seems that we aren't really "post-merge" yet. ^_^

Plus... it's pretty clear that the Translation framework code has nothing to do with performance optimizations (which would generally be the only place where folks would look for "miracles" ) ? :blink:

Side note:

Raynorpat has already made some nice improvements to the performance of Stencil Shadowing in the most important aspect, CPU optimization. (Plus he has an initial crude Shadow Map version running which drives that performance factor up further still.)

So any burden you feel to "demonstrate improvement" can be off-loaded to folks like him. If you are afraid that folks are expecting you to add FPS\performance to the later releases, you can easily refer them to instead keep an eye on the iodoom3 project or other forks over at github.

I hope that clears-up my intentions.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Hm, I start to like the font patcher more and more. Looking into how we'd could possible get a Russian Mason font, it occured to me that some of the Russian characters look like the ASCII version, anyway.

So I wrote a small patch file like this:

// Assorted characters
copy_char 0xcb 0xa8			 // Ë
copy_char 0xcf 0xaf			 // Ї CYRILLIC CAPITAL LETTER YI

// Some of the cyrillic characters look very close to the ASCII ones,
// so we can re-use these:

copy_char 0x2e 0xb0			 // .
copy_char 0x2e 0xb1			 // .
copy_char 0x49 0xb2			 // І CYRILLIC CAPITAL LETTER BYELORUSSIAN-UKRAINIAN I
copy_char 0x69 0xb3			 // і CYRILLIC SMALL LETTER BYELORUSSIAN-UKRAINIAN I
copy_char 0x50 0xd0			 // Р CYRILLIC CAPITAL LETTER ER

which just copies letters arround (and replaces the one it can't copy with a "." to mark them).

This works even for some lower case letters because the letter "t" in our mason font looks like a smaller version of T, which is what the cyrillic "т" looks, anyway :D

And here is the result, coming pretty close (compare it with the two insets generated from the Russian main menu!). Not bad for an hour of work and I didn't even need to use Gimp :) There are now only 47 characters missing - and some of them are pretty easy to paint ("Г" would probably be working as a flipped "L", "я" as a flipped "R" etc).

post-144-0-46536300-1325540516_thumb.jpg

Stay tuned!

I am back online - and I was busy the whole time :) Will post a status report tomorrow.

Unfortunately, it seems nobody else did any new translations, updated any strings, painted any fonts etc? Or did I just miss it somewhere? Also, whats the status on the foreign forum - does anybody monitor what the Russian or French players are saying, are the using the new translations?

I can say for certain that at least part of them are using it, and I'm used to submitting shots and strings to some people I've known for a decade and who know most if not all of my translations (and oft gave feedback). There hasn't been any negative feedback, little criticism, and zero backlash. So I'd say no news is good news as far as I'm concerned.

BTW - Sorry for the small inactivity, it's been madness (translations and scripts to update, plus the usual year's end fuss), and will still probably be as hectic throughout January. Still, feel free to throw urgent/needed stuff my way, I'll gladly provide. :)

Anyway, great job on the fonts, it's a nice improvement. :)

Edited by Hyeron

"Lie to a liar, for lies are his coin; Steal from a thief, for that is easy; lay a trap for a trickster and catch him at first attempt, but beware of an honest man"

- Arab proverb

Stay tuned!

And one hour with Gimp later we got quite a few new shiny russian characters. :) There are still a few dozend missing, but this is enough to render the two headlines we have (New Mission and Setting) correctly:

post-144-0-52678300-1325543818_thumb.jpg

Bed time for me!

Hyeron: No news is good news then :) I hope still that some more translations for missions roll in. If the problem is the I18N.pl script, I can pre-convert them all and upload them for you guys, if that is whats holding FM translations up!

• Like 1

Im afraid I still didnt have the time to sit down and study how to use the script to do the translations now. I also need to look for all the missing strings on the merged portguese translation that is currently installed on the mod to report you, or maybe you could point me to where the file is so I could manually correct/replace them and send it to you to install on the mod again? We have Thief's Den, I wanted to translate maybe Saint Lucia next, or I might just wait for the community mission picks and focuse the work on them first.

EDIT: While waiting for maps created with the separate pak files for texts strings, whats the best/official way to go about translating existing FMs in a way that will be easy for you/the team to replace and upload them? Again, all I did on Thief's Den or the Training Mission was to edit the files, keeping their original names, and then I sent you the zip or pak renamed to something like map-portuguese (if I rememder correctly). Whats the proper way here, or maybe I overlooked this particular information on the wiki articles?

Hi RPGista, sorry, I nearly overlooked your post and now it is too late to do anything.

I will upload tomorrow or at last Wednesday all the converted missions so you can start translating them. (The old method meant I needed to run the script with the original english and the new portuguese version, that works, too, but I think the translation is easier for you if you have just a list of strings).

Also, I will upload a file with the currently missing Portuguese strings. There are not many missing I think :)

Brilliant, that is going to make things a lot easier, thanks for that Tels. I guess I'll just wait a bit more for the community picks and translate from there, as those are the missions that will probably get more attention in the near future.

EDIT: As for the missing strings in portuguese, I just mentioned I wanted to take a look at the current merged file because I'm 100% sure I translated text that isnt present in the mod translation as of now (= you maybe merged a previous, incomplete version instead of the latest one). I dont know what would be better, to send you the final text version again for you to replace the whole thing or just update the existing one and send you the corrected text. Wait, now that I think of it, there are also a bunch of corrections I mean to do (text I want to make shorter, stuff that I only noticed when seeing them in game), it would in fact be better to just send you a new text version I guess, so I could revise everything and implement the needed changes.

Edited by RPGista

I updated this package on my server: http://bloodgate.com/mirrors/tdm/pub/scripts/I18N_script.zip

The I18N.pl script had a few corner cases it coudn't deal with (both occured with SaintLucia.pk4), like multiple comments in a row, or some placeholder strings for invisible objects.

I'll upload the converted missions in a second, stay tuned :)

I uploaded a converted version of SL here: http://www.bloodgate.com/mirrors/tdm/pub/pk4/i18n/

TODO: The briefing is still image based - one would need to transcribe the image-based-texts in it as #str_20100 .. #str_201xx and then change the GUI to instead of refering to the images to display the texts (look at the outpost.pk4 how that can be done). But I am too tired to do this myself.

Great, I figure I should start with Lucia anyway, one of my favs and it seems highly likely its going to be one of the community picks. I will take care of all needed graphical changes just as I did with a Thiefs Den. Just a question, once Im done, whats the procedure for sending it over to you: should I rename english.lang as portuguese.lang? What about images like maps or briefings, should they be originalname_pt.tga or something?

See here please:

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=I18N_-_Translating_Fan_Missions

In short:

* copy strings/fms/english.lang to strings/fms/portuguese.lang and edit it

* add the nec. strings from the briefings (do not just paint new images - texts are much better!) and add them as 20100 .. 201xx in portuguese.lang, then edit briefing.gui (I forgot the exact file name)

* for the map, draw a new file and add it under whatever name you like - and then add material shader for it. (Look please into Thiefs den on my server how this is done). You then need to use something like "#str_12345" instead of the material shader for the map icon, and then point that string to the right shader that uses the right texture)

If the wiki is unclear, I can improve it. But first please see if you can make sense of it. :)

Thats great, I knew I was missing something, thanks for the short description, as Im not getting the time to sit down and read all the wiki articles on this. I got the Saint Lucia file and will work on it. ;) Im still unsure how to go about correcting the current TDM Gui translation though. You said you would upload a file with the missing portuguese strings, but I believe we got pretty much all needed strings already? The point is that there are some mistakes in the actual version used right now (Im playing in portuguese, so I can spot them), probably due to the merging process, and I wonder if I should give you a list of mistakes, or just edit the file myself and then send it to you (in which case I need to know how to access the current translated TDM gui file).

Examples of mistakes/missing portuguese strings include:

Accented letters are displayed, in game, as squares (á, ó or ç);

On mission load, we get the default "loading 70%" instead of "carregando 70%", the random tips and context comments are still in english, as well as "mission loaded, please wait...", and a bunch more of such cases;

Also, many adjustments in meaning are needed (words like Quit were translated literally as Desistir, but in game it is actually more correct to say Sair (Leave) instead, and I also need to make many lines shorter because they are overlapping others, that is the case for many Settings options as well as in game item descriptions.

Thats great, I knew I was missing something, thanks for the short description, as Im not getting the time to sit down and read all the wiki articles on this. I got the Saint Lucia file and will work on it. ;) Im still unsure how to go about correcting the current TDM Gui translation though. You said you would upload a file with the missing portuguese strings, but I believe we got pretty much all needed strings already? The point is that there are some mistakes in the actual version used right now (Im playing in portuguese, so I can spot them), probably due to the merging process, and I wonder if I should give you a list of mistakes, or just edit the file myself and then send it to you (in which case I need to know how to access the current translated TDM gui file).

The best way is to use an Unicode editor (I am unsure, I think Wordpad might be enough, but notepad definitely isn't) and edit strings/all.lang and send me the edited version. If all fails, you can also edit portuguese.lang - but that is more complicated for me.

Examples of mistakes/missing portuguese strings include:

Accented letters are displayed, in game, as squares (á, ó or ç);

If they are displayed as squares, then this means they are missing in the font. Unfortunately, that can only helped by creating a better font: http://wiki.thedarkm...=I18N_-_Charset

As it stands now, only Carleton (our menu font) is done, the ones for the readables are missing the special characters. But the strings are already correct!

Here is some more info: http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/12863-translating-the-tdm-gui/page__view__findpost__p__269401 I promised to put that on the wiki, but I forgot. Mea culpa!

On mission load, we get the default "loading 70%" instead of "carregando 70%", the random tips and context comments are still in english, as well as "mission loaded, please wait...", and a bunch more of such cases;

This is actually usually a problem with the mission (and the way TDM works). The screen shown when the mission loads is a copy in every mission - so you need to fix the mission instead. (after I18N.pl is done, you can change the file briefing.gui I believe.)

Also, many adjustments in meaning are needed (words like Quit were translated literally as Desistir, but in game it is actually more correct to say Sair (Leave) instead, and I also need to make many lines shorter because they are overlapping others, that is the case for many Settings options as well as in game item descriptions.

If you have such changes, please send them to me. As for the settings options, I made a smaller font, that will already help with some of these. (see the screenshot a few pages up), but there are still some that overlap. If you can shorten them without them losing the meaning, please do so!

I can also try to make a package for you so you can test this new, condese font in the menu, so see how much it helps. But in my tests, I think only 2 lines in portuguese were still too long, the rest already fits (I increased q few things in other menu screens,too).

thanx for your help!

Well, you are doing some amazing work there. If we can iron out these remaning mistakes, with the translated training mission, thief's den and (soon) saint lucia, we'll have a pretty good set up to introduce the mod to the portuguese speaking community, for sure.

If there's nothing to be done regarding in game exotic characters (like the mentioned accented letters and such), it would be more acceptable to just replace them for the default letters (c instead of ç, a instead of á), its not correct but understandable, and better than a square. Should I do that for now?

I have a couple of ideas as to how to shorten many strings, without any real loss of meaning (was over cautious when first translating), so that coupled with a smaller font = success. I was making myself a list of all visible missing strings and odd translations, I'll edit the latest english.lang file with all the updates I think are needed, and then send it your way. ;)

Edited by RPGista

Well, you are doing some amazing work there. If we can iron out these remaning mistakes, with the translated training mission, thief's den and (soon) saint lucia, we'll have a pretty good set up to introduce the mod to the portuguese speaking community, for sure.

I hope so, that all the hard work pays for it :)

If there's nothing to be done regarding in game exotic characters (like the mentioned accented letters and such), it would be more acceptable to just replace them for the default letters (c instead of ç, a instead of á), its not correct but understandable, and better than a square. Should I do that for now?

No, better not! (My hope is that the squares force someone to make the fonts :P

Anyway, one thing that can be quickly is to patch the fonts to contain "a" instead of "[]" in place of "áàâã" etc. The font patching files are sep. in one file with instructions on "how to copy a to à and extend it at the top" and one part that says "á" is now there on the texture".

The first part is very generic and should work independtly of the font, so if you apply it, you end up with a font that contains "a" instead of a little square. That would be already better. However, since we have 20 or so fonts, I got tired of this :)

I have a couple of ideas as to how to shorten many strings, without any real loss of meaning (was over cautious when first translating), so that coupled with a smaller font = success. I was making myself a list of all visible missing strings and odd translations, I'll edit the latest english.lang file with all the updates I think are needed, and then send it your way. ;)

edit all.lang file please :)

And that would be good. If you want to test it with the latest font, I updated this

http://bloodgate.com/tmp/tdm_x_update_i18n_107.pk4 <-- put this file into your v1.07 darkmod folder.

Note: If you have a file named "tdm_x_hotfixfrench.pk4" or "tdm_x_lang_test.pk4", then delete these files, as they would interfere and should no longer be nec..

The file above contains the latest string file, the Mason font (with incomplete Russian characters, but it is a start) and the new Carleton Condensed font. It also has the menu changes until now. It is quite big, tho and one thing that is broken are some strings like "Mbyte" (sorry, but I moved them and run out of time to fix it here).

With that, you should get an idea how the menu looks now and what strings to shorten.

I'd like to help with polish translation. Some letters are missing, some things are not translated, some could be translated better, some texts are too long and don't fit... What should I do?

Download this file and put it in your v1.07 installation: http://bloodgate.com...te_i18n_107.pk4

(or use SVN).

There is a file called "strings/all.lang", edit the polish strings in it, and then either check it into SVN directly, or send me the edited file. (make sure that the file is afterwards still in UTF-8).

If you want to see your edits live, you need to use either the script "devel/gen_lang.pl" in SVN, or edit "strings/polish.lang", too.

As for the "do not fit", I think there are only a few left, and in some cases the menu can be made to fit (instead of shortening the text). But sometimes the text can just be shorter (instead of f.i. "release date", just "date" can be used in the mission description gui f.i.). So use whatever better fits. :)

Thanx for the offer!

There is also: http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=I18N_-_Translator%27s_Guide

Four polish letters are missing in the menu: ś, ć, ż, ź

Is the menu font dds? Will this require doing dds fonts?

Unfortunately, there is no more space in the charset:

http://wiki.thedarkm...=I18N_-_Charset

Now that we have the source, I guess I can look into forcing D3 to load and display characters between 0x80 and 0x9f. Right now, even if you add them to the DDS/bitmap font, they will not be displayed.

I'd suggest you still enter these characters in the strings in all.lang (it is in UTF-8) - then I can figure out how to either display them, or remap them automtically to "csz" etc (which would be at least a stop-gap measure until they can be displayed)

Also, none of our other fonts contain any other accented characters yet, I simply had no time to paint them in gimp and add the to the font-patcher resource files. http://wiki.thedarkm...le=Font_Patcher

I committed all.lang to repository. I used file you gave me, it was slightly bigger than the one on repository. List of changes:

"#str_02106" "Credits"

from "Napisy" to "Twórcy"

"#str_02126"

from "Ogólny" to "Ogólne"

"#str_02127"

from "Zaawansowany" to "Zaawansowane"

"#str_02151"

from "Kontroli" to "Sterowanie"

"#str_02153"

from "Wielkość Ekranu" to "Rozdzielczość Ekranu"

"#str_02157"

from "Texture Anisotropy" to "Filtrowanie anizotropowe"

"#str_02161"

from "Kanały zwrotne" to "Odwróć kanały"

"#str_02164"

from "Kompresja Tekstur" to "Kompresuj Tekstury"

"#str_02165"

from "Compress Normals" to "Kompresuj normalmapy"

"#str_02166"

from "Szczegóły obiektu (LOD)" to "Szczegóły obiektów (LOD)"

"#str_02236"

from "Loading misja" to "Ładowanie misji"

"#str_03004"

from "Medium" to "Średni"

"#str_02121"

from "Uruchom ponownie Grę" to "Zrestartuj grę"

"#str_04128"

from "Antialiasing" to "Antyaliasing"

"#str_04126"

from "Vertical Sync" to "Synchr. pionowa"

"#str_02192"

"Następny przedmiot ekwipunku" to "Następny przedmiot"

"#str_02193"

"Poprzedni przedmiot ekwipunku" to "Poprzedni przedmiot"

I don't know how to run .pl scripts, I didn't check how it looks in game. Temporarily replacing ś with s etc. is a good idea. Currently there are some strange symbols.

It's only a model...

I committed all.lang to repository. I used file you gave me, it was slightly bigger than the one on repository. List of changes:

Oops, hopefully you only changed these strings, and not any else? I can fix it tomorrow.

And thanx!

"#str_04126"

from "Vertical Sync" to "Synchr. pionowa"

Was the full string to long to fit?

I don't know how to run .pl scripts, I didn't check how it looks in game. Temporarily replacing ś with s etc. is a good idea. Currently there are some strange symbols.

I'll fix that temp in the perl script and do it for you.

To run Perl scripts on WIndows, install Strawberry Perl http://strawberryperl.com/ then use f.i. a dos command and issue "perl devel/gen_lang.pl".

Again, thanx for your help!

Edit: And integrated. I also did run devel/gen_lang.pl --missing and the file is here: http://bloodgate.com/tmp/missing_polish.txt - if you could look through it and see what you can translate? You can of course ignore things like the keynames like ESC etc. if you want. The first few strings are the most important ones. If there are any that should not be translated, please tell me so I can mark them as such. (likely things like GB etc)

Oops, hopefully you only changed these strings, and not any else? I can fix it tomorrow.

I only changed the strings I posted.

Was the full string to long to fit?

I thought that "Synchronizacja pionowa" might be too long. Sync is also short form of synchronization.

use f.i. a dos command and issue "perl devel/gen_lang.pl".

I launched the script in darkmod/devel folder and it gave me this:

TDM Language file generator v0.13 (c) by Tels 2011-2012.

Reading strings/all.lang...
Cannot read strings/all.lang: No such file or directory at graves/doom3/darkmod/
devel/gen_lang.pl line 72.

Edit: And integrated.I also did run devel/gen_lang.pl --missing and the file is here: http://bloodgate.com...sing_polish.txt - if you could look through it and see what you can translate? You can of course ignore things like the keynames like ESC etc. if you want. The first few strings are the most important ones. If there are any that should not be translated, please tell me so I can mark them as such. (likely things like GB etc)

So should I use the same all.lang file I commited? Some of the strings are not there in the polish part so I guess I'll just paste them.

It's only a model...