The Dark Mod Forums

Translating the TDM GUI

Tels

Hey, thats awesome indeed - most of those accented letters could be used for the portuguese language, to get rid of those annoying little squares. Im talking "á é ã", etc. We seem to be missing ^ as in "Avô" (grandfather), but I should look into it to make sure, its been many years since grammar classes... :)

The characters are automatically used once they are added to the font. So ã is now already working :)

Also, the way the font patcher works,it will first "relocate" the normal letter to the place of any strange character, so instead of the little square or "ó" you see "o". That is already better than [_] :) The reason why in v1.07 you see the square is because the 48 pixel font was patched - but the game used the 24 pixel version and this was not patched.

I now removed the 12 and 24 pixel versions and also fixed the code to load the remaining size (48) in place - formerly, it would just crash if you did that.

So now you see the properly patched font. I'll see what I can do to add other missing characters before v1.08 goes into freeze - but don't expect too much as I have way to many things to do already...

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I'll post a list of strings tomorrow. We could also use a russion translation of Saint Lucia :) Thanx for the offer!

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Here is the ist of missing russian strings:

http://bloodgate.com/tmp/missing_russian.txt

(You can ignore the names for the different keys like TAB, I guess)

Although the forum is quit doesn't mean people are working in the background :) So here is some news:

* Springheel reviewed the new headlines in the menu, and noticed they look quite different than the originals:

post-144-0-43906300-1338032813_thumb.jpg

Basically, the "t" and "n" look different, there is now soft glow (instead there is a hard "drop-shadow"), and the size differs considerable.

The options here were basically:

* revert the newly translated menu headlines (I vetoed this, as it would mean a step backwards for the translation)

* OR add a glow font

* fix the size somehow

* fix the letters

Fixing the t was easy (I already painted it, it was just getting cut-off). Fixing the glow was more work - letters had to be moved anda special glow font had to be added.

post-144-0-45629900-1338033190_thumb.jpg

Fixing "nN" is more complicated due to the many special variants like ñńǹÑŃǸ etc. So this was left for the time being. However, the size was still a problem:

post-144-0-54403500-1338033267_thumb.jpg

Fixing "g" was easy (even tho this means in some other languages it might get a bit more wide):

post-144-0-30033000-1338033301_thumb.jpg

So we are left with the size of the uppercase S. Fortunately, the font patcher can scale individual characters, and making the uppercase letter 20% more wide and 10% more tall solved this problem, so the headline now looks almost 100% identical (except the n):

post-144-0-20870800-1338033372_thumb.jpg

Then I noticed that I only had done the normal uppercase letters, so I completed it for the specials in case we need them later:

post-144-0-61555000-1338033670_thumb.jpg

All in all a lot of work for a minor difference - but if it makes the Art Lead happy, it makes us all happy :)

There is still on issue - our biggest font is 48 pixels, but on my screeen the uppercase letters are 60 pixel high, and the lowercase letters are about 37 pixels. This means the resolution is quite low and artefacts show. However, adding a bigger font (96 pixel) is not yet supported by the engine - and someone would then have to build this font, meaning to patch everything again...

* Springheel also noticed the new Stone 48 font looks too different from the old 24 font. So I set out to patch in the special characters into this font, too. A few hours of work, but now it looks the same on the HUD, except having the most important special characters (about 40 from 116 are done).

* We do not have translations for Dutch, Slovak nor Hungarian, but I thought it might be a good idea to setup the infrastructure for these languages. So I did :) Especially adding thenec. mapping files, and making sure the characters for other languages display in a language in the menu (where you select the language) can be a bit tricky. Here are two a screenshot to prove it works now:

post-144-0-24852000-1338032613_thumb.jpg post-144-0-21853800-1338032649_thumb.jpg

Btw, if you know someone who knows Dutch, Slovak, Hungarian, Finish, Norsk, Dansk or other languages and would be willing to help translate TDM, please contact them or PM me with the details!

I think the general slowness in the forums is due partly to the fact that much of the discussion here is about adding or improving mod features but folks are leery to broach those topics because you are finishing work on v1.08 and because they know that's a sore spot given the lack of manpower. Once team members start discussing new features the rest of the regulars will chime in with their opinions etc. Maybe we need some trolls to keep the forum and team unified against a common foe? I personally prefer seeing team members spar against trolls rather than each other :P

i wouldn't fret too much. Without any new promotion TDM has been hitting 900 views a day likely due to the release of Thief on Steam. When they finally start promoting Thief 4 this place will be filled with folks asking why you haven't switched to Crytech and all your favorite questions. Along with those will be new members who may even contribute missions, assets, code, etc.

Edited by nbohr1more
  • Like 1

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Btw, if you know someone who knows Dutch, Slovak, Hungarian, Finish, Norsk, Dansk or other languages and would be willing to help translate TDM, please contact them or PM me with the details!

I know Dansk! If late June is soon enough, I'll do the Danish translation.

Over the next 3 days would be better, but late June is better than never :)

PM me for the details, or just post here. I'll send you the file with the missing strings. And to make sure it is usable for v1.08, I think I can sneak in "Danish" into the menu :)

Edit: Support is in the menu now.

Over the next 3 days would be better, but late June is better than never :)

I'll see if I can get it done this weekend, but if not then it will have to wait.

PM me for the details, or just post here. I'll send you the file with the missing strings.

PM sent...

Tels, but how much strings missing in italian? :unsure:

http://bloodgate.com/tmp/missing_italian.txt

Not many and most of them are not to be translated, anyway. Stil, if you could translate the few missing, that would be cool.

One of these days I need to build a webinterface for that - so many things todo, so little time... :(

I've just checked in fix to our Carleton font - Ą Ę ą and ę actually have their little wiggle open to the right side, not the left side :blush:

Also now added again over a dozend special characters to Stone 24 (our HUD font), so things like Pałka, Obušek, Krátky meč etc show correctly. The top 50 often-used characters are now all in, plus a bunch of others. Everything else is used less than 4 times, so not important for now.

Also fixed a small problem with the text "Total" in Polish getting cut off, and some of the characters like had the top 2 pixels cut-off. No more! :)

I guess everything else has now to wait for v1.09...

Wow, unexpected developments :)snobel sent in a complete Danish translation! That changed the top-50 characters a bit, while ø was already in, æ and å were missing, so I just added them to Stone 24. And the strings, of course. Here are some screenshots:

post-144-0-19970000-1338730734_thumb.jpg post-144-0-92668600-1338730747_thumb.jpg

post-144-0-73583900-1338730772_thumb.jpg

Italian strings

"#str_01502" "Sei un ladro esperto, non un assassino. Non uccidere nessuno."
"#str_02010" "Impossibile copiare i file. Forse i file di destinazione sono protetti da scrittura o hai finito lo spazio o non hai i permessi?"
"#str_02011" "Non è disponibile nessun'altra spiegazione. Beh, non me l'aspettavo."
"#str_02050" "Byte"
"#str_02051" "KByte"
"#str_02052" "MByte"
"#str_02053" "GByte"
"#str_02054" "KB"
"#str_02055" "MB"
"#str_02056" "GB"
"#str_02119" "Salva Immagine"
"#str_02148" "Audio"
"#str_02149" "Video"
"#str_02150" "Gioco"
"#str_02156" "Gamma"
"#str_02162" "Post Elaborazione"
"#str_02186" "[Pulizia]"
"#str_02204" "Fiammifero"
"#str_02237" "Missione Caricata - Attendere Prego"
"#str_02277" "Ripristina"
"#str_02314" "Nessun oggetto in vendita."
"#str_02502" "No"
"#str_03015" "Sbruffone"
"#str_04128" "Antialiasing"
"#str_04352" "Missione Singola"
"#str_04353" "Campagna"
"#str_04354" "Tipo:"
"#str_07018" "TAB"
"#str_07020" "ESCAPE"
"#str_07027" "ALT"
"#str_07028" "CTRL"
"#str_07032" "MENU"
"#str_07048" "INS"
"#str_07052" "HOME"
"#str_07054" "MOUSE1"
"#str_07055" "MOUSE2"
"#str_07056" "MOUSE3"
"#str_07057" "MOUSE4"
"#str_07058" "MOUSE5"
"#str_07059" "MOUSE6"
"#str_07060" "MOUSE7"
"#str_07061" "MOUSE8"
"#str_07204" "Pulizia Cartella Missione"
"#str_07205" "Cartella Missione Pulita"
"#str_07206" "Pulizia Cartella Mod..."
"#str_07208" "Stai per cancellare i contenuti di gioco della cartella della missione dal tuo disco (principalmente salvataggi):"
"#str_07209" "Ricorda che il PK4 della missione in darkmod/fms/ non sarà cancellato da questa operazione, potrai ancora giocare la missione."
"#str_07213" "4:3;16:9;16:9 TV;16:10;5:4"
"#str_07226" "Stereo;Surround"
"#str_07227" "EAX 4.0 HD"
"#str_08005" "Resuscitato"
"#str_08015" "Zombie"
"#str_08339" "Sarto"
"#str_08424" "Pagliaccio"
"#str_08431" "Vasaio"
"#str_08467" "Lorimer"
"#str_08628" "Un Avviso"
"#str_08708" "Bar"

Edited by knymed

Thank you, merged it in :)

Hey, that looks pretty good! :) But it will need a bit of tuning, I'm sure. Btw, anyone happen to know the proper Danish word for 'footlocker'...?

http://translate.google.com says "Truhe" is "brystet". (It doesn't know "footlocker", tho).

The funny thing is that it translates to "chest" back into English, but into "Brust" in German. I do not trust that automatic translation stuff...

Due to the inclusion of Saint Lucia, there are a few more strings that need translating. The translation of the Saintlucia mission itself is one task (if someone wants to translate it, please post here!), but there are also a few strings that where just added to the core (since they are usable for other FMs, too). Here is a list:

"#str_01010"	"''The Builder Church is deeply intertwined with the politics of the Empire, and the bishops of the Church vie for power with the most powerful nobles.''"
	"#str_01011"	"''The Builders do not rule over cities or secular territory. They have authority in religious matters, but in Bridgeport the Lord Mayor and civil courts handle secular laws.''"
	"#str_01012"	"''Builders value order, hard work, and devotion. Destruction of property, sloth, and chaos are all great evils.''"
	"#str_01013"	"''The main prophet of the faith, Amos, was given the 'One True Hammer' by God and used it to lay the foundation of the first church in the Holy City thousands of years ago.''"
	"#str_01014"	"''The Church divides its territory into dioceses (also called bishoprics) and each of these is ruled by a bishop or archbishop. These powerful figures are the equivalent of a baron or duke.''"
	"#str_01015"	"''Builder monks occasionally dabble in invention and mathematics, but they are not engineers. If they want complicated machinery built, they must hire the appropriate guild like anyone else.''"
	"#str_01016"	"''Below the priests are the cathedral guards. They defend Church territory, assist in establishing new monasteries, and sometimes enforce Church law. This position is a popular one with the lesser sons of nobility.''"
	"#str_01017"	"''The Inquisitors are a separate order of Builders with their own internal structure. They are the keepers of orthodoxy, and handle the interviews and trials of all those charged with heresy.''"
	"#str_01018"	"''Sometimes Builders will force ordeals on people, especially heretics, for the good of their souls. Other people mistakenly see this as 'torture'.''"
	"#str_01019"	"''Metal is a symbol of man's dominion over the elements, and metal is heavily used in Builder clothing and architecture.''"

"#str_01060"	"Tip: Guards will sometimes relight candles or torches that have gone out."
	"#str_01061"	"Tip: Guards may get suspicious if important loot is missing."
	"#str_01062"	"Tip: You can quietly slide down ladders by holding the Crouch key."
	"#str_01063"	"Tip: Guards with their weapons out are more alert and pay more attention to their surroundings."

"#str_01503"    "When you have completed your other objectives, get back to where you started to leave the area."

If anyone could translate this into their language, that would be cool :)

Due to the inclusion of Saint Lucia, there are a few more strings that need translating. The translation of the Saintlucia mission itself is one task (if someone wants to translate it, please post here!), but there are also a few strings that where just added to the core (since they are usable for other FMs, too). Here is a list:

If anyone could translate this into their language, that would be cool :)

I can translate the fm if you want

Italian strings for S. Lucia:

"#str_01010"	"''La Chiesa del Costruttore è profondamente legata con i politici dell'Impero, ed i vescovi della Chiesa si contendono il potere con i nobili più potenti.''"
"#str_01011"	"''I Costruttori non regnano su città o territori laici. Hanno autorità solo sulle questioni religiose, in Bridgeport il Lord Sindaco e le corti civili emendano le leggi laiche.''"
"#str_01012"	"''I Costruttori apprezzano l'ordine, il duro lavoro e la devozione. La distruzione di proprietà, l'ozio ed il caos sono tutti peccati capitali.''"
"#str_01013"	"''Al profeta principale della fede, Amos, fu dato il 'Vero Martello' da Dio e lo usò per creare le fondamenta della prima chiesa nella Città Santa migliaia di anni fa.''"
"#str_01014"	"''La Chiesa divide il suo territorio in diocesi (chiamati anche vescovati) ed ognuno di loro è governato da un vescovo od un arcivescovo. Queste potenti cariche sono l'equivalente di un barone o di un duca.''"
"#str_01015"	"''I Costruttori si dilettano occasionalmente in invenzioni o matematica, ma non sono ingegneri. Se vogliono che siano costruite delle macchine complicate, devono assumere la gilda appropriata come tutti gli altri.''"
"#str_01016"	"''Sotto ai sacerdoti ci sono le guardie della cattedrale. Loro difendono il territorio della Chiesa, assistono la costruzione di nuovi monasteri, ed a volte fanno rispettare le leggi ecclesiastiche. Questa carica è molto popolare tra i figli minori dei nobili.''"
"#str_01017"	"''Gli Inquisitori sono un ordine separato dai Costruttori ed hanno una propria struttura interna. Loro sono i guardiani dell'ortodossia e gestiscono gli interrogatori ed i processi di tutti coloro che sono accusati di eresia.''"
"#str_01018"	"''A volte i Costruttori fabbricano prove di colpevolezza, specialmente per gli eretici, per il bene delle loro anime. Le persone scambiano erroneamente questo per 'tortura'.''"
"#str_01019"	"''Il metallo è il simbolo del dominio dell'uomo sugli elementi, ed è molto usato nei vestiti dei Costruttori e nell'architettura.''"
"#str_01060"	"Suggerimento: Le Guardie a volte riaccendono le candele o le torce spente."
"#str_01061"	"Suggerimento: Le Guardie possono diventare sospettose se scompare un oggetto dal grande valore."
"#str_01062"	"Suggerimento: Puoi scivolare silenziosamente da una scala tenendo premuto il tasto per Abbassarsi."
"#str_01063"	"Suggerimento: Le Guardie con le armi sfoderate sono più attente e prestano maggiore attenzione all'ambiente circostante."
"#str_01503"	"Quando hai completato i tuoi altri obiettivi, ritorna dove hai iniziato per lasciare l'area."

Edited by knymed
  • Like 1

Thanx, I'll add them tonight. The strings for SL are here: http://bloodgate.com/tmp/saintlucia_l10n.pk4 - it might not be the final version, but it comes very close.

Note that there is a map image to be translated, too. I will upload a .psd file so it is easier. Or you can just look at the image and send me the english => italian pairs so I paint them on.

I'm translating the pk4 in italian. These are the strings on the map:

Church of St. Roderic= Chiesa di San Roderic
Privy= Latrina
Living Quarters= Aree Residenziali
Priest's Room= Stanza del Sacerdote
Dining Room= Sala da Pranzo
Kitchen= Cucina
To Cript= Alla Cripta
Scriptorium remain the same
Lift= Ascensore
Pulpit= Pulpito
St. Lucia Statue= Statua di Santa Lucia or Statua di S. Lucia
Main Entrance= Ingresso Principale
Church Grounds= Terreni della Chiesa

I was translating the map with PaintShop Pro x4 with the Nvidia DDS plugin, but the program continued to crash and I did not know the specific format to save the DDS, too many options :(.

If I had these informations, next time I could do it alone.

P. S. What font was used? I was using the Bradley Hand ITC but is not quite the same.

Edited by knymed

Here are the .xcf (Gimp format) and .psd (Paintshop format) files:

http://bloodgate.com/tmp/sl_map.zip

I used some font in Gimp that looked largely the same, I don't know what the original font is. It is not really important.

I can translate the fm if you want

Italian strings for S. Lucia:

"#str_01060"	"Suggerimento: Le Guardie a volte riaccendono le candele o le torce spente."
"#str_01061"	"Suggerimento: Le Guardie possono diventare sospettose se scompare un oggetto dal grande valore."
"#str_01062"	"Suggerimento: Puoi scivolare silenziosamente da una scala tenendo premuto il tasto per Abbassarsi."
"#str_01063"	"Suggerimento: Le Guardie con le armi sfoderate sono più attente e prestano maggiore attenzione all'ambiente circostante."
"#str_01503"	"Quando hai completato i tuoi altri obiettivi, ritorna dove hai iniziato per lasciare l'area."

One question, the old translations use "Consiglio:" while yours use "Suggerimento:". I think they should be the same for consistency, but which one is (more) correct?