The Dark Mod Forums

Translating the TDM GUI

Tels

One question, the old translations use "Consiglio:" while yours use "Suggerimento:". I think they should be the same for consistency, but which one is (more) correct?

Suggerimento. :laugh:

Edited by ECHELON

what if i don't want to read my language in the mod menus? IE: please don't automatically set it to 'default locale' or something.

Or, if you do, please give me the option to permanently change it back to english.

Edited by i30817

Suggerimento. :laugh:

Uh, ok, then I'll change all the strings to it (it is longer, tho). Suggerimento is "suggestion" and "consiglio" is advice, so my bet would have been on consiglio, tho...

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

what if i don't want to read my language in the mod menus? IE: please don't automatically set it to 'default locale' or something. Or, if you do, please give me the option to permanently change it back to english.

This was never planned, the language will always be settable by the user. The only thing we might do is automatically determining the language on the first install but since this is quite tricky and we don't have enough manpower, it will simply stay English.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

Italian translation completed

http://sdrv.ms/Kto6P9

what's missing:

-I could not format the text because I do not have tdm 1.8 to check the result

-two strings refer to images to be translated. A map and a sign.

The map:

http://sdrv.ms/K9KoFE

The translation of the text on the sign is "Chiesa di San Roderic"

Edited by knymed

ms skydrive does not work in firefox on Linux (for whatever reasons).

• 1 month later...

O hai

Long time no read. :)

Just popping back up as I've been poked for another round of translation, aaaaaaaaand so I just reinstalled the mod (bad hard drive crash is bad).

Which leads me to the same problem I had back last year: the French translation is still the massive blunder (to put it lightly) commited by my er... "colleague", still completely unfit for release and public use, still unfixed, still out in the wild, and while I distinctly recall sending a cleaned up version to Tels, it appears that, to this day, it's still the same old sh*t I spent a few hours fixing.

Just sayin'. Anyone have the clean version so I can have another round of checking it, or should I go back to the start? Either way, I WON'T leave that as is. That's a stain on my record, and I can't stand that. :P

Will also try and check around for one or two missions to translate, if anyone's interested.

BTW, if there's any humanly possible work to be done WRT the GUI, feel free to nudge me (preferably by PM, I'm really and definitely not that much of a forum lurker. ^^)

"Lie to a liar, for lies are his coin; Steal from a thief, for that is easy; lay a trap for a trickster and catch him at first attempt, but beware of an honest man"

- Arab proverb

As a matter of fact, all the translation work I did besides the 1.07 GUI version is also on hold for some reason, I expect your update and others will be present on the 1.08 release, in the near future.

As for missions, its a lot about your preferences, and what you think would be important for a novice player to get to know first, considering he might prefer any mission in their own language over others, when he is picking the next one to play. Thinking about that, the first one I translated was the Training Mission (unavoidable, in my opinion), and then Thief's Den, the intro mission. You might also want to work on the Saint Lucia mission, its the top voted mission by the community, going through an overhaul right now and is also going to be included in the future release of the mod as an "official" mission.

Edited by RPGista

Guess I should have a look at St. Lucia then (the other ones are already translated)... Gonna lurk around a bit and check what's new first, though. :)

Edited by Hyeron

"Lie to a liar, for lies are his coin; Steal from a thief, for that is easy; lay a trap for a trickster and catch him at first attempt, but beware of an honest man"

- Arab proverb

Hyeron, glad to see you back. Yes, the translation fixes will only be present in v1.08 (and that took a lot longer than we thought).

However, do you want to betatest the new v1.08 and possible fix any translations errors before release? That would be cool, PM grayman if so, he will be able to send you download details in a few days.

Here is a list of missing french strings:

http://bloodgate.com/tmp/missing_french.txt

Btw, some of the strings might not be translatable, if so, please tell me which, so I can put a marker ("//stays the same") on them, so the next time they don't appear in this list.

Sure thing Tels. As I said, I'm available any time needed, you just need to poke me (by PM, f.ex.) - I hop around a lot of projects, so it can happen that I have my back turned for a long while. Never means I'm not willing to work on TDM anymore, far from it. ;)

Will have a look at those strings, will update once they're done. :)

- Arab proverb

Sure thing Tels. As I said, I'm available any time needed, you just need to poke me (by PM, f.ex.) - I hop around a lot of projects, so it can happen that I have my back turned for a long while. Never means I'm not willing to work on TDM anymore, far from it. ;)

Will have a look at those strings, will update once they're done. :)

Please redownload the file - I updated it a few minutes ago (sorry, I uploaded an old version by accident).

There you go :

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/a7un71ukmwjx3c4/LOaxftht1Q

File name should be missing_french_tentative.txt, common strings marked with //, one marked with ?? (Taylor - either it's a surname and thus common, or it's an old form of tailor, then translates to "Tailleur".

Could do with an in-game test or three, too.

Anyway. ^^

- Arab proverb

Thanx, downloaded it, don't know if I am able to merge it tonight, if not, will merge it Wednesday. Hopefully it will make it into v1.08 ;)

Thanx, I merged the corrections and additions :wub: French is 100% complete now :) Once a package for betatesting is available, I am sure we can give you access so you can run some missions (notable the new Saint Lucia) and check in game how the translations actually looks. Would be good if we can fix any translation problems before the release this time :)

No problem. Just getting the GUI to be readable would be a good step forward, honestly. xD

I'll also have to check ECHELON's I18N versions (accent marks, yaddayadda), have another look at the old translations and stuff... Mmh, guess I'll be busy for a while, between this and The Journey Down. \o/

- Arab proverb

the massive blunder (to put it lightly) commited by my er... "colleague", still completely unfit for release and public use, still unfixed, still out in the wild, and while I distinctly recall sending a cleaned up version to Tels, it appears that, to this day, it's still the same old sh*t I spent a few hours fixing

Thanks, that's always a pleasure. When I went through the first pass of the translation, I18N was a work in progress and many of the strings weren't final or even present compared to now, let alone the fact that accents were not always working and strings often had to be shortened.

Anyway, I'd like to know (in PM, no need to make this public any further) what exactly did amount to a "blunder" of such biblical proportions.

For example, from an earlier post of yours:

Anisotropic filter(-ing) -> Filtrage anisotrope (atm) -> Filtrage anisotropique (correct) : 'Filtrage anisotrope' is the correct form;

< Prev -> < Prec (atm) -> < Préc. (correct) : Probably a real mistake;

Failed to download mission (or mission download failed, whatever) -> Echec de téléchargement (atm) -> Échec de téléchargement (correct) : Absence of accented capitals because at that time they wouldn't work. BTW, Échec du téléchargement would be better;

Bloom -> Eclats (Bloom) (atm, TOTALLY nonsensical) -> Bloom (correct) : Using DOOM3 default french strings for consistency;

Next item (inventory item?) -> Obj. Inv. Suiv. (atm) -> Objet suivant (correct - I mean, THREE abbreviations in THREE words? Gimme a break) : English strings were changed since + size limit;

Standard Gamma -> Standards Gamma (atm, nonsensical) -> Gamma Standard (correct) : Highly doubt I would make such a mistake. I'd need to find the reference material to make sure. It makes no sense;

On/Off -> Activé/Eteint (atm, also: lacking the É) -> Activé/Désactivé (correct) : Same;

Difficulty settings are all but b*llshit to anyone half sane : I don't have the material right now, but maybe you could tell me exactly what was wrong.

I think parts of the erroneous strings may have come from an online translator if the english strings appeared after the first translation pass. Tels could confirm that. I do not have any access to the reference strings at the moment (or the mod itself). Here are two minor mistakes in the latest file you shared over Dropbox (removed a comma, corrected a typo):

"#str_01012" "''Les créateurs apprécient l'ordre, le dur labeur et la dévotion. Leurs péchés capitaux sont la destruction de propriété, la paresse et le chaos.''"

"#str_07234" "Impossible d'activer le son surround."

Finally, my last contribution was from August 2011 so this is not possible (you posted in December), unless someone different than me was involved in the translation:

Half the corrections I brought are gone. Even, it seems, some corrections to my own new strings.
Edited by Briareos H

Thanks, that's always a pleasure. When I went through the first pass of the translation, I18N was a work in progress and many of the strings weren't final or even present compared to now, let alone the fact that accents were not always working and strings often had to be shortened.

Anyway, I'd like to know (in PM, no need to make this public any further) what exactly did amount to a "blunder" of such biblical proportions.

For example, from an earlier post of yours:

I think parts of the erroneous strings may have come from an online translator if the english strings appeared after the first translation pass. Tels could confirm that. I do not have any access to the reference strings at the moment (or the mod itself). Here are two minor mistakes in the latest file you shared over Dropbox (removed a comma, corrected a typo):

"#str_01012" "''Les créateurs apprécient l'ordre, le dur labeur et la dévotion. Leurs péchés capitaux sont la destruction de propriété, la paresse et le chaos.''"[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#444444][font=inherit][size=3]"#str_07234" "Impossible d'activer le son surround."[/size][/font][/color][color=#444444][font=inherit][size=3]

Then some things are completely impossible to explain: all those example are taken straight out of the .lang file as it was when I picked it up.

If you redownload the mod at this very moment, you can see them again.

"#str_02239" "Standards Gamma"

"#str_07216" "Activé;Eteint"

"#str_03001" "Occasionnels"

"#str_02180" "d'attente " <- that there, is "Queued"

"#str_02010" "Byte" / "#str_02011" "kilo-octet"

The list goes on, and on, and on. And it has become impossible to analyze the file as it was, because the one in 1.07 is some kind of mix between that version and some changes I commited to try and salvage it, due to Tels mixing the updates. xD

Those are mere examples. Many description strings were unchecked for consistency too. Truth is, you seemed perfectly capable (and you know full well I said it. I'm not one to throw words meaninglessly. A good job's a good job, a blunder's a blunder. And the current translation IS a blunder).

But AFAIK we're the only two to have worked on this translation. And those here are nowhere near the strings I used for version 1.0. Now if you tell me you didn't commit those, we're cool. But those strings didn't appear by themselves. Someone jumps in on the translation, makes a mess, then vanishes is what it looked like.

Truth be told, I AM quite relieved now that you tell me you have nothing to do with that, but... WHO, then? O_o

Seriously, I think you can see why I find this quite infuriating: the translation has been in the wild for months, and... Those strings are their own comment.

If it's not you (and once again you prove it cannot be - though we may have a fistfight about that bloom, seriously), if it's not me (and just checking 1.0 should tell you as much)... Who? It's not Google Translate:

http://translate.google.com/#auto/fr/standard%20gamma

Translate doesn't make a mess of such things.

- Arab proverb

Ah, just saw your edit. Thanks for the correction. It will take more playtesting before release anyway, but you probably want to forward those to Tels. :)

- Arab proverb

Forwarding little corrections would be counter-productive. I'd rather wait for a final "beta" language file that contains all the strings (I can't download the mod atm) to do a complete pass. That way, I could read it, diff the mistakes, forward it to you so you can have the final say on the translation including my changes and send it all to Tels.

And there's something definitely off with the workflow and timeline of the whole french translation. As I said, I think my last contribution was made last august. I suppose some of the edits (both yours and mine) were overwritten or not taken into account at some point. My first translation did not try to be worthy of release, as it was a first test of the whole interface, but some of those mistakes I just couldn't have made. Or I was really, really drunk.

Edited by Briareos H

I don't know what the status of the French translation is, but here is the current version in SVN:

http://bloodgate.com/tmp/french.lang

http://bloodgate.com/tmp/all.lang

Note that french.lang is automatically generated from all.lang.

Now, if you have any corrections to these, please send them in ASAP. v1.08 should have been released long ago, but it was delayed a bit. It is, so to speak, already to late to change anything, so if you get it to us soon, we might add it. Otherwise, it has to wait for v1.09.

Sorry for this, but the release has been "pending" for many months now, we can't deleay it infinitely for such "minor" things (I know that you feel otherwise and rightly so :)

Heh. Seemed so when we met, looks that way now too. Certainly didn't look like it at the time. I seriously apologize for it. I guess I want any release with my name on it to meet standards.

OTOH I'd seriously like to meet the mofo who did this. Seriously. Just to teach him French the hard way.

Oh, and anisotrope/anisotropique are interchangeable IIRC. Guess we won't agree on this one.

On a more serious note, either way is fine. As long as we can both agree that the end material is fit for release this time, I don't mind anyone doing anything and anyone having any kind of say. I have changed a few of what looked more like your work (description strings) to adjust them all into having the same overall feel. Feel free to adjust any of mine too. All I want is for this release to finally be something worthy of release, not this... monster.

A few more examples of what is to be found in the current .lang.

"#str_02165" "Compressers normales"

"#str_02448" "Flèche à pointe d'acier" <- Though relatively fine by itself, no consistency with previous Thief installments.

"#str_03004" "Moyen" / "#str_03005" "Normale"

"#str_03010" "Endurci" / "#str_03011" "Difficiles"

Adds up quite quickly. >>

EDIT - Thanks Tels. Time to have another look. :)

Edited by Hyeron

- Arab proverb

• 1 month later...

Not at the moment, as we lack voice artists to do so.