The Dark Mod Forums

Translating the TDM GUI

Tels

I only changed the strings I posted.

I thought that "Synchronizacja pionowa" might be too long. Sync is also short form of synchronization.

It's ok to shorten if it doesn't fit, but it the long form fits, shortening might be unnec.

I launched the script in darkmod/devel folder and it gave me this:

TDM Language file generator v0.13 (c) by Tels 2011-2012.

Reading strings/all.lang...
Cannot read strings/all.lang: No such file or directory at graves/doom3/darkmod/
devel/gen_lang.pl line 72.

Ah, you need to run it from "darkmod" as:

perl devel/gen_lang.pl

I'll add a safeguard when it is run from darkmod/devel/

So should I use the same all.lang file I commited? Some of the strings are not there in the polish part so I guess I'll just paste them.

Yes, please use the all.lang you committed (it is fine) and paste the strings, then translate them (but please do not paste strings that are not going to be translated anyway like "ESC" or whatever :)

thank you!

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I was able to run the script.

It's ok to shorten if it doesn't fit, but it the long form fits, shortening might be unnec.

Ok, long version fits. I uploaded these translations:

"#str_01500" "Do not kill anyone" to "Nie zabijaj nikogo"

"#str_01501" "You're not a murderer. Don't kill anyone!" to "Nie jesteś mordercą. Nikogo nie zabijaj!"

"#str_01502" "You're an expert thief, not an assassin. Don't kill anyone." to "Jesteś znakomitym złodziejem, nie zabójcą. Nikogo nie zabijaj."

"#str_02003" "Code Logic Error" to "Błąd logiki kodu"

"#str_02050" "Byte" to "Bajt"

"#str_02051" "KByte" to "KBajt"

"#str_02052" "MByte"

to "MBajt"

"#str_02053" "GByte" to "GBajt"

"#str_02054" "KB" // stays the same

"#str_02055" "MB" // stays the same

"#str_02056" "GB" // stays the same

"#str_02148" "Audio" to "Dźwięk"

"#str_02149" "Video" to "Obraz"

"#str_02156" "Gamma" // stays the same

"#str_02158" "Ambient Rendering" to "Renderowanie Otoczenia"

"#str_02159" "Interaction Shader" // stays the same

"#str_02163" "Bloom Intensity" to "Intensywność Poświaty"

"#str_02186" "[Cleanup]" to "[Czyszczenie]"

"#str_02227" "Stealth Score Details (all alerts * severity)" to "Punkty za skradanie - szczegóły (wszystkie alarmy * dotkliwość)"

"#str_02228" "Legenda Poziomu Czujności:" to "Legenda Poziomu Alarmów:"

"#str_02237" "Mission Loaded - Please Wait" to "Misja Załadowana - Proszę Zaczekać"

"#str_02239" "Gamma Standards" to "Standardy gamma"

"#str_02277" "Reset" // stays the same

"#str_02350" "font/carleton"

"#str_02351" "font/carleton_condensed" // stays the same

"#str_02352" "font/carleton_condensed" // stays the same

"#str_02353" "font/carleton_condensed" // stays the same

"#str_03013" "Apprentice" to "Uczeń"

"#str_03014" "Professional" to "Zawodowiec"

"#str_04137" "These changes take effect the next time you start TDM." to "Zmiany będą widoczne po ponownym uruchomieniu gry."

"#str_04339" "OK" // stays the same

"#str_04344" "INITIALIZOWANIE WYDARZEŃ..."

to "INICJALIZOWANIE WYDARZEŃ..."

"#str_04346" "INITIALIZOWANIE DŹWIĘKU..."

to "INICJALIZOWANIE DŹWIĘKU..."

"#str_04347" "INITIALIZOWANIE SIECI..."

to "INICJALIZOWANIE SIECI..."

"#str_04348" "INITIALIZOWANIE RENDER SYSTEMU..." to "INICJALIZOWANIE SYSTEMU RENDEROWANIA..."

"#str_04352" "Single Mission" to "Pojedyncza Misja"

"#str_04353" "Campaign" to "Kampania"

"#str_04354" "Type:" to "Typ:"

What or who is "Braggard"? And I left "interaction shader" original. I think I should treat it as a proper name. More translations will come.

It's only a model...

"Braggard" (someone who tells big tales but has not much behind it) is a "level" like "Easy", "Hard", "Medium", "Expert". It was used in at least one FM.

Leaving "interaction shader" original is ok - it is your call :) And thanx, looks good!

I also changed gen_lang.pl to fix the characters we cannot currently display. Will look into this issue on the weekend and hopefully fix the font code.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

I added some more new translations and fixes.

"#str_03015" "Braggard" to "Blagier"

"#str_07018" "TAB" // stays the same

"#str_07019" "ENTER" // stays the same

"#str_07020" "ESCAPE" // stays the same

"#str_07022" "BACKSPACE" // stays the same

"#str_07027" "ALT" // stays the same

"#str_07028" "CTRL" // stays the same

"#str_07029" "SHIFT" // stays the same

"#str_07030" "LWIN" // stays the same

"#str_07031" "RWIN" to "PWIN"

"#str_07032" "MENU" // stays the same

"#str_07033" "COMMAND" // stays the same

"#str_07034" "CAPSLOCK" // stays the same

"#str_07035" "SCROLL" // stays the same

"#str_07048" "INS" // stays the same

"#str_07049" "DEL" // stays the same

"#str_07050" "PGDN" // stays the same

"#str_07051" "PGUP" // stays the same

"#str_07052" "HOME" // stays the same

"#str_07053" "END" // stays the same

"#str_07110" "KP_HOME" // stays the same

"#str_07112" "KP_PGUP" // stays the same

"#str_07114" "KP_5" // stays the same

"#str_07116" "KP_END" // stays the same

"#str_07118" "KP_PGDN" // stays the same

"#str_07119" "KP_ENTER" // stays the same

"#str_07120" "KP_INS" // stays the same

"#str_07121" "KP_DEL" // stays the same

"#str_07122" "KP_SLASH" // stays the same

"#str_07123" "KP_MINUS" // stays the same

"#str_07124" "KP_PLUS" // stays the same

"#str_07125" "KP_NUMLOCK" // stays the same

"#str_07126" "KP_STAR" to "KP_GWIAZDKA"

"#str_07127" "KP_EQUALS" to "KP_ZNAK_RÓWNOŚCI"

"#str_07129" "SEMICOLON" to "ŚREDNIK"

"#str_07130" "APOSTROPHE" to "APOSTROF"

"#str_07131" "WHEELUP" to "KÓŁKO W GóRĘ"

"#str_07132" "WHEELDOWN" to "KÓŁKO W DÓŁ"

"#str_07180" "%s^0 is %s!\n" to "%s^0 jest %s!\n"

"#str_07188" "OK" // stays the same

"#str_07190" "N/A" to "Brak"

"#str_07204" "Cleanup Mission Folder" to "Wyczyść Folder Misji"

"#str_07205" "Mission Folder Cleaned" to "Folder Misji Wyczyszczony"

"#str_07206" "Cleaning up Mod Folder..." to "Czyszczenie Folderu Moda..."

"#str_07208" "You're about to delete the gameplay contents of the mission folder from your disk (mainly savegames and screenshots):" to "Zamierzasz usunąć z dysku zawartość folderu misji (zapisy stanu gry oraz zrzuty ekranu):"

"#str_07209" "Note that the mission PK4 itself in your darkmod/fms/ folder will not be removed by this operation, you'll still able to play the mission." to "Zauważ, że plik PK4 misji w folderze darkmod/fms/ nie będzie zmieniony tą operacją, wciąż będziesz w stanie zainstalować misję ponownie."

"#str_07213" "4:3;16:9;16:9 TV;16:10;5:4" // stays the same

"#str_07219" "Accept" to "Akceptuj"

"#str_07220" "Confirm" to "Potwierdź"

"#str_07226" "Stereo;Surround" // stays the same

"#str_07227" "EAX 4.0 HD" // stays the same

"#str_07230" "Surround Sound" to "Dźwięk Surround"

"#str_08015" "Zombie" // stays the same

"#str_08325" "Lord" // stays the same

• Like 1

It's only a model...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm new here. I've registered this forum just to help with the Spanish translation. I want to translate the Dark Mod and missions, but better start with the first. I've seen that you have made progress about, but Spanish is not complete, so just, count on me for doing that. Just point me in the direction where to get the files, and where to send them when I'm done, and I could start right now.

Regards,

Ruber.

Hello Ruber, thank you :)

The list of strings that are missing is here: http://bloodgate.com/tmp/missing_spanish.txt

Edit this with any editor of your choice and send it back to me, I merge it back in.

Please not that this list has no comments, you can find them in "strings/all.lang" which is in the darkmod .pk4s. If you need any help, please just ask.

the file should be inside: tdm_base01.pk4 and is called strings/all.lang

Its a slow burning piece of string to light guns, power, bombs etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slow_match

Hm, strange, it should be in all.lang (if you are using the one from v1.07 it might be missing there). It is a difficulty level like "Beginner", "Advanced" etc. The meaning is "someone who brags a lot" e.g. a person who tells big tales (but might not be that good to back it up).

You don't have to translate it, but I guess other Spanish people will have the same problem knowing what the word means.

"Taylor", is a personal name, isn't it? Or I must translate it as "tailor"?

"burglar" is the same as "burgler". The problem is that in spanish is the same as "thief" = ladrón. So what's the difference between burglar and a common thief?

"carnie"? a man who works in a carnival?

"fence" it is a thing or a man? a fence, or a man that measures properties?

"Stocking knitter"? No idea about this.

Tomorrow more, this jobs list is killing me.

These are all job names (although they can also refer to surnames as it is common in English/German that people are simply named after the job their family had for decades/hundreds of years :)

* card sharper (probably should fix the english version to be "Card sharp") swindler at card games https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Card_sharp

* Taylor - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tailor (http://dict.leo.org/...earch=schneider)

* burglar - someone who breaks and enters houses (opposed to a thief, who is simple someone who steals something, thief is more generic)

* carnie/carny - in a sense, yes. That are people who are traveling with their group, and do various performances (that was often custom before there were fixed theaters etc). https://en.wikipedia...7carny%27_slang

* fence - someone who buys stolen goods and resells them, basically clearing them. The thief/burglar brings his stolen items to his fence.

* stocking knitter - someone who produces stockings https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stocking

Yeah, english is quite confusing :) But just think how good it is that not every FM-translator will have to re-translate these things ;)

Nah! the problem is old jobs and old wording is poor documented on the net, at least in Spanish.

Regards.

Here is a good site that documents old jobs in German. http://www.deutschla...r.de/berufe.php

The pictures and the texts are mostly from a book from 1568 by Jost Amman: (Ständebuch ).

If you look up the names http://dict.leo.org/...lp=ende&search= you can find the english name, but since they now have a Spanish<=> German dictionary, too, maybe you can even find them there!

I found this a very interesting read, its a shame one can't buy this book in a modern printing... Heh, it is available! https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spezial:ISBN-Suche/345808133X e.g. here: http://www.amazon.de/s/url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=345808133X Nice.

• 3 weeks later...

So, after a long while I finally managed to start working on the menu again. He is a report:

* French strings should use ISO 8859-15, and some files said so, but the wiki didn't and the gen_lang.pl did not use this, either. This was easily fixed, but the impact is very low, too. Basically, this only makes the three characters œ, Œ and Ÿ work. And only one was used in TDM, and only once, namely in the string "#str_08905" "Chef d'œuvre". Still, the French people deserve this to be displayed right :)

post-144-0-29971800-1329672102_thumb.jpg

* Added the extra characters for Polish: Ś, Ć, Ź and Ż (including lower-case variants), as well as Ň (we already had ň). This involved painting them for Carleton 48, fixing the polish/czech remap files, as well as a small fix in gen_lang.pl to no longer remove the accents on these characters. (These characters need to be added to all other fonts, just like the rest. So they won't appear in readables or in the Stone font used for Weapon names etc). However, the menu works. Example (the last line actually has one of these characters that is now fixed):

post-144-0-64074500-1329672369_thumb.jpg

* Fixed the two bugs related to choiceDefs: they now correctly support right or center aligned text (we need use right aligned in the settings menu), and they support arbitrary strings now, so foreign Texts like "Ölgemöller" would work now (the image below shows it working with "ü", the next image shows that it is now right-aligned)

post-144-0-18366100-1329672420_thumb.jpg

I have not yet converted back all our GUI files to use the choiceDefs over the "initChoice" hack (which I added with a lot of labor :D The reason is that converting them back is a mind-numbing boring work, and it brings only very little benefit (basicaly, any non-boolean choices would now accept right-mouse click to go "backwards" through the settings again). I'll leave this for another rainy sunday afternoon :) Once the GUIs are converted back, we can rip out the code support for this. It's not much code, but every bit less helps ;)

One more remark: There is an open bug that says that characters 0x7F to 0x9F are not working. Interestingly enough, they work when the characters are remapped from say 0xAx to 0x8x, but not when the characters are present as 0x8x in the dictionary file. Fixing this bug is on my TODO, even tho we don't need the fix for our current set of languages. But perhaps later we get some other language that needs these bytes.

Last but not least, I might have already posted this:

* Fixed the code bug that prevented character 0xFF from rendering (it was indeed an off-by-one error in the D3 source). Russian remapping still maps that to 0xB6 because otherwise we'd need to redo all the russian fonts.

Ever so slowly working on finishing the I18N work.

Here is another small step. We currently have 21 western fonts plus one russian font (mason) that are not yet complete yet. The russion one misses a handful characters, all the other fonts miss more or less all the accented characters.

Unfortunately, we have every font in 3 sizes (12, 24 and 48 pixel). This means, that to complete the fonts, you need to patch three variants and paint the characters in 3 sizes. The painting can be done faster if you just paint them in 48 pixel and then scale the textures down.

However, the patching of the characters (font_image.dat) needs still be done.

So I thought wouldn't it be cool if fonts could somehow share the work. Fortunately for us, almost, if not all of our fonts are simply autogenerated/autoconverted from TTF files. That means the 12 pixel font is basially a scaled down version of the 24 pixel/48 pixel font, anyway. Technically, there could be a reason why the 12 pixel font would be different - it could be made more readable. I don't think this is the case for our fonts, however.

Anyway, long story short, the code always tries to load all three sizes and failes if one is missing. So I teached he code to look for the other sizes instead, and then load them as replacement, if one size is missing. This is completely optional, when all three sizes are there, they are used.

So here is an image to show how it works. The upper portion shows all three fonts loaded - you see the special characters are missing in the smallest size because our menu font Carleton hasn't gotten them in size 12. The lower part shows what happens if you simple delete fonts/english/carleton/font_image12.dat. Et voila!

post-144-0-03614600-1330119237_thumb.jpg

Now we need some way to test that this works with all other fonts, e.g. it does not disturb their 12/24 pixel variants. Then instead of doing 69 font variants, we only need 23.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Here is another comparisation, this time for Stone, our HUD font. Ironically, on a 1920x1200 resolution, the text becomes a bit more readable when using the 48 pixel font only:

post-144-0-63422000-1336921407_thumb.jpg

You can also see that this fixed the Umlaut issue in German:

post-144-0-12780400-1336921442.jpg

For the other European languages, the difference is even bigger:

post-144-0-38847300-1336922393_thumb.jpg

I have not yet painted all special chars for the Stone font, but you can see that the automatic fixup at least creates "a" in place of "àáâ" etc, so it looks already much better.

• Like 1

I have patched in a few more characters into Stone (our HUD font) and also fixed a few issues with the inventory items getting cut off in certain languages.

Because I don't have the time to patch in over 100 special characters, I did a quick count to find out which characters are most important. This is interesting:

709	 í
651	 é
512	 á
281	 ó
278	 č
272	 ü	   german
184	 ě
178	 ř
170	 ã
144	 ž
143	 ę
143	 ý
97	  š
97	  ś
93	  ç
87	  ä	   german
84	  à
78	  ů
67	  ć
66	  è
65	  ё
58	  ú
56	  ê
46	  É
45	  ö	   german

Even tho üöä are not that often used, I patched them in first, because with these three German is almost complete (only ß missing and this is used in only 10 strings or so). So í is much more important than say ś :)

Anyway, most of these are now added. Screeny:

post-144-0-41351700-1336931867_thumb.jpg