The Dark Mod Forums

OLD THREAD - Fan Mission: The Siege Shop by PranQster (2011/06/26)

PranQster

32 members have voted

1. 1. For a first-time FM, you would rate this as:

• Total Crap
    • Not Too Shabby
    • Honorable Mention
    • Pretty Darn Good
  2. 2. Was the gameplay:

• Too easy
    • Not bad, but needs to be more challenging
    • About right
    • Too hard

siegeshop.jpg

"I must break into the weapons factrory... a sewer access shed is nearby... best not to be on the streets tonight.

I received a tip that there may be a way to reach the roof, if I'm lucky.

Inside is a siege weapon shop. I need to acquire the plans to the new weapons being built there..."

I must mention this: There is a scene of violence more graphic than usual in this FM. Some might not approve. Not for the little ones.

Download Links:

The Siege Shop 1.2.0

>>> Mindplaces Link <<<Might be version 1.0.0 for a little while

The Siege Shop

By PranQster

This mission is my first.... Second Release

Version: 1.2.0

This mission is currently undergoing some major changes and optimization.

Lighting, brush work, audio, etc. Improvements promised; let's hope I can live up to that promise.

^Did that^

Build Time: eternity

Credits:

I thank the entire TDM community. There are too many to name all without forgetting someone. And thanks to all those who helped me directly.

Special thanks to:

Bikerdude, Fidcal, Springheel, & greyman. They provided awesome technical support and valuble advice.

Extra thanks to Springheel, BikerDude, and Nosslak for providing several models including, but not limited to, the commoner head model and the "Dolly" model. Thanks also to Shadowhide for the help with getting my script file working.

Major Thanks to the Beta Testers:

Chiron, Xarg, Aprilsister, AluminumHaste, and Midnight

If I forgot anyone:

Bummer

Known Issues:

Player Notes (in inventory): Last Line of the first page gets cut off. I'll fix this sometime, but it's easy to fill in the blank.

Skybox and city background far from being done well. Do I care? Of course. Am I going to fix it in this FM? Probably not.

There is a very unrealistic teleport which happens if you try to jump off the building (or from elsewhere) into the moat. Just pretend it didn't happen and soldier-on.

Many things look too clean and shiny... not enough grime. Again... Do I care? Of course. Am I going to fix it in this FM? Probably not.

A certain lever becomes magically frobable after certain conditions are met. Not the first time for this behavior in an FM. Solution: Just pretend you loosened it on previous attempts... kind of like when you easily open a jam jar that someone else tried to open for 5 minutes.

If you get stuck with locked doors and no key... try harder to find the key! Read the readable items again if needed.

^All that has changed^

Edited by PranQster

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

Congrats on the release.

As I said before, this FM is very impressing for a debut (and not to shabby in general ;) )

I hope that we'll see a lot more from you in the future !

Edited by Chiron

Yes well done on the release Pranqs. :)

I'm just uploading this to the mirrors and will report back when done.

Thank you very much for all your help and for the mirror.

Congrats on the release.

As I said before, this FM is very impressing for a debut (and not to shabby in general ;) )

I hope that we'll see a lot more from you in the future !

Not too shabby eh? :) That's good to hear. Thank you so much for beta testing.

Congratulation on the map!

(I am so behind with playing them) :ph34r:

Thanks Jesps. I am also a bit behind. I have yet to finish all of the recent releases.

i love idea with

air baloon

Cool, and thanks again for your contribution of some scripting.

Oh wow! Four missions in the span of a week or so!

Looking forward to this, good work Pranqster for sticking with it to release! =3

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

My system can't handle this one very well.

I see that you have a lot of large single-texture surfaces so I tried to dmap with lightCarve but it didn't help...

Is the map geometry all World Spawn? Or did you optimize some as Func Static?

(Eg. "Is there some hope I can play this one in the future...?" ^_^ )

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Just finished playing and have to say "pretty darn good" with the issues you already mentioned. I played on medium and got all the loot with a stealth score of 8.

Some of the things I liked was the arrows in the quiver, mini torches over the fireplace and I could knock out the robot. I gassed the two guards playing cards - 1 swooned and went flying back and the other stood up stiff and said "ack, gak, ack" (or something like that :laugh: ) and collapsed on the candle.

I liked your balloon and the layout of your map although not sure of the purpose of the room above the gate. Just a place to hide maybe?

The key for the chest was very hard to find and was about to give up and ask when I said "doh" as I spotted it almost in plain sight.

One of two issues I had: 1. - When I picked up the guard captain Haddocks log I could not get out of it. I had to go back to a previous save. 2. - When I went to open the gate, I had just stepped out of the shop when I fell halfway through the floor, had to noclip to get out.

All in all if you hadn't told us I'd be surprised to learn it was your first mission. Look forward to more.

My system can't handle this one very well.

I see that you have a lot of large single-texture surfaces so I tried to dmap with lightCarve but it didn't help...

Is the map geometry all World Spawn? Or did you optimize some as Func Static?

(Eg. "Is there some hope I can play this one in the future...?" ^_^ )

Tell you what... I'll work on improving this in a few weeks.

Just finished playing and have to say "pretty darn good" with the issues you already mentioned. I played on medium and got all the loot with a stealth score of 8.

Some of the things I liked was the arrows in the quiver, mini torches over the fireplace and I could knock out the robot. I gassed the two guards playing cards - 1 swooned and went flying back and the other stood up stiff and said "ack, gak, ack" (or something like that :laugh: ) and collapsed on the candle.

I liked your balloon and the layout of your map although not sure of the purpose of the room above the gate. Just a place to hide maybe?

The key for the chest was very hard to find and was about to give up and ask when I said "doh" as I spotted it almost in plain sight.

One of two issues I had: 1. - When I picked up the guard captain Haddocks log I could not get out of it. I had to go back to a previous save. 2. - When I went to open the gate, I had just stepped out of the shop when I fell halfway through the floor, had to noclip to get out.

All in all if you hadn't told us I'd be surprised to learn it was your first mission. Look forward to more.

Thanks Thiefette. Not sure why you had the issues you did. This was play tested many times and never had trouble with that readable or with falling through the floor.

Ground breaking is done on my next mission. Promises to be epic. :)