The Dark Mod Forums

OLD THREAD - Fan Mission: The Siege Shop by PranQster (2011/06/26)

PranQster

32 members have voted

1. 1. For a first-time FM, you would rate this as:

• Total Crap
    • Not Too Shabby
    • Honorable Mention
    • Pretty Darn Good
  2. 2. Was the gameplay:

• Too easy
    • Not bad, but needs to be more challenging
    • About right
    • Too hard

Can't even get started ! Am I supposed to have an air balloon or somesuch in the inventory to get me up the shaft at the start? For some reason too the water stops me getting up the tunnel where the rats are because i can't get onto firm ground. tried to shoot a rope arrow up too. Must be getting too old for these puzzles !

Think I'll leave it for now then as no replies , must be something obvious but it's getting boring trying to get out of the cellar or whatever it is , I'll move on to another mission.

You need to look up while you're in the main tunnel (not with the rats). There should be a ladder to climb with a hatch to open at the top. Don't give up. Enjoy. Also the balloon will be outside when you get there.

Edited by Thiefette

You need to look up while you're in the main tunnel (not with the rats). There should be a ladder to climb with a hatch to open at the top. Don't give up. Enjoy. Also the balloon will be outside when you get there.

Thank you for your kind reply

my screen must be a little dark as I can't see the ladder just a shaft too high up!

Will adjust and try again. I won't give up , but I get a bit impatient at times because I have a pain problem with the hands which spoils my concentration a bit and I therefore try to do things in a rush ! Thanks again Thiefette.

Have adjusted my video settings to lighter now

and see that there is a ladder up the side of the shaft. However I obviously can't jump up when in the water and cannot apparently climb the wall to the ladder.So how on earth does one start this mission.

Are there supposed to be hand holds on the wall or something / or am I missing some equipment to get me started ? Has to be one of the most frustrating Thief missions for me I'm afraid and I'm not going to waste any more time on it as I've spent an hour trying to get up the shaft , the only fun I've had is shooting the two rats?! Would like to give it a total crap rating but that wouldn't be fair , sorry to be so negative but.... Very , very frustrating when you can't get started , seems like others are playing a different mission to me. p.s can some kind person tell me the 'normal' gamma and brightness settings on DM so I can reset mine for another mission.

Edited by raymeld

You are only (supposed to be) shin-deep, dude. Of course you can jump.

If you have clipped down below the underlying surface for some reason then restart. Otherwise jump! :)

And as for not being able to see the ladder, you should be able to see it so leave the gamma where it is for this and all future missions, I'd recommend.

Sorry you are having such a difficult time.

You are only (supposed to be) shin-deep, dude. Of course you can jump.

If you have clipped down below the underlying surface for some reason then restart. Otherwise jump! :)

And as for not being able to see the ladder, you should be able to see it so leave the gamma where it is for this and all future missions, I'd recommend.

Sorry you are having such a difficult time.

Yes , sorry to be a bit grouchy about this one , it's just I got a bit frustrated not being able to even start no matter what I do. For an idiot like me a ladder all the way down might be easier!? Guess I'm more into the Bikerdude and Sotha missions you can get straight on with.

Raymeld, I just went and downloaded the mission (the "hard" way, by the way{!}: see above) to see what the problem might be.

Yes you should very easily see the ladder. Your gamma was way too low (I always adjust the gamma before messing with the brightness, btw, so maybe you should reset the brightness to neutral).

Getting on that ladder should be absolutely "no problem". I could hardly help from attaching to the ladder when I stood below (and, maybe, back a slight bit so I could see it, looking up) and jumped.

Here's what you do to see if you've attached:

• Get your blackjack out.
  • Jump.
  • If your blackjack gets "pocketed" (disappears, as fi you have your hand{s} otherwise occupied), you have attached to the ladder.
  • Climb (if you can't then move a touch right or left to make sure you are able to move your body up the center of the sewer shaft).

Zen, Baby, Zen. You gotta visualize, believe and immerse...

Raymeld, I just went and downloaded the mission (the "hard" way, by the way{!}: see above) to see what the problem might be.

Yes you should very easily see the ladder. Your gamma was way too low (I always adjust the gamma before messing with the brightness, btw, so maybe you should reset the brightness to neutral).

Getting on that ladder should be absolutely "no problem". I could hardly help from attaching to the ladder when I stood below (and, maybe, back a slight bit so I could see it, looking up) and jumped.

Here's what you do to see if you've attached:

• Get your blackjack out.
  • Jump.
  • If your blackjack gets "pocketed" (disappears, as fi you have your hand{s} otherwise occupied), you have attached to the ladder.
  • Climb (if you can't then move a touch right or left to make sure you are able to move your body up the center of the sewer shaft).

Zen, Baby, Zen. You gotta visualize, believe and immerse...

Thanks for all the trouble you've taken on my behalf Aprilsister. After that kindness it wouldn't be right if I didn't give it another chance. You are right of course my gamma was too low , it didn't help not seeing the ladder , and I'll adjust as you've suggested. Also I think trying to 'climb' the wall as it were hasn't helped. Maybe as you say stand back a bit.

Thanks for bringing that steambot, was looking for meet him since the very beginning. Was pretty funny to hear its alarm - sound of a teapot whistling, LOL. But where was actually promised graphic violence, huh ? Only violence i saw was what i have done to poor AI :-)

Congrats on release, and thanks !

I had great fun with this, no complaints.

What? Pitch blackness? Please post a screenshot of said blackness as during beta test the ambient was at like 10 which was ridiculous so I think it's now closer to 6.

And duh, it's a game about fake stuff that doesn't exist, the entire fucking concept is unrealistic. :angry: Why the fuck am I so cranky today?

Oh I spotted this now.

With pitch blackness I refer to the skybox. When the player uses the thing near the map start, the lack of surrounding world felt particularily disturbing. Simple extra props in the skybox would have done the trick.

The nearest buildings should be in the actual level geometry and then some rooftops would be in the skybox so that they emerge when the player goes high.

Simple tricks would've helped a bit. There was nothing on the otherside of the building, as if the world just ended there.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Oh I spotted this now.

With pitch blackness I refer to the skybox. When the player uses the thing near the map start, the lack of surrounding world felt particularily disturbing. Simple extra props in the skybox would have done the trick.

The nearest buildings should be in the actual level geometry and then some rooftops would be in the skybox so that they emerge when the player goes high.

Simple tricks would've helped a bit. There was nothing on the otherside of the building, as if the world just ended there.

Oh yeah that, I pointed it out in Beta testing but the author was keen on releasing this and getting on with his next project. I'm sure his future projects will be better, this was a promising first effort though I gotta admit.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Oh I spotted this now.

Oh yeah that, I pointed it out in Beta testing but the author was keen on releasing this and getting on with his next project. I'm sure his future projects will be better, this was a promising first effort though I gotta admit.

Yeah, I agree and know what I could have done to improve that. I decided to fix other issues and get the map released. I wanted to get the map out before my vacation because it would drive me crazy not being able to work on it. I will likely make an update next month, or later this month.

My next project is going to be much more ambitious. But I'll be building properly on the 8-unit grid, only having one or two small outdoor areas, and any long areas will be divided onto rooms and hallways with corners, instead of long straight hallways.

I'll also make much nicer ambient music choices and make sure I know how to place my lights properly.

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

Thanks for bringing that steambot, was looking for meet him since the very beginning. Was pretty funny to hear its alarm - sound of a teapot whistling, LOL. But where was actually promised graphic violence, huh ? Only violence i saw was what i have done to poor AI :-)

Congrats on release, and thanks !

I had great fun with this, no complaints.

Thanks Trickster.

I warned about the graphic violence in case there are younger children getting to play TDM. It only had to do with the beheaded thief in the dungeons area. I know that most players wouldn't take issue with that, but just wanted to let others know that it is a bit graphic.

hmmm- I never realized that. It never woke up while I played the rest of the mission, not that I'm complaining.

I'm guessing that the steambot behavior changed a bit for TDM 1.06. I only tried to blackjack it when running 1.05 and it would get stunned for 10 seconds or so, long enough to sneak past, then go back to patrol

I had to abandon this mission

when I got to the room after the one where the two guards are playing cards which have a load of chests and a lift in them.

Everything slowed almost to a halt to the extent I couldn't pick the chest locks and even had a job to press the button to summon the lift. When I went to the middle floor the game was just as slow there like moving through treacle. So , a bit disappointed in this one and I think I'll leave it there. I did like the start though with the balloon once I got started. The frame rate was very good early on , so I can't understand why it slowed up so at the point it did. May be my computer , but earlier missions have played o.k including the others recently posted by other members. I didn't appear tobe using up all my ram and the processor wasn't overstretched. It would be churlish to atempt to rate it as my experience has been limited , but I was enjoying it up to the freeze up.

Edited by raymeld

Aye. Getting the first mission out is truly a great deed, do remember, I chickened out with The Alchemist. (I still blame technical problems, though.)

The first mission is always a delicate and tricky one and with many molding-mistakes. But you do those mistakes only once, but you must do them to learn from them.

Yeah, I agree and know what I could have done to improve that. I decided to fix other issues and get the map released. I wanted to get the map out before my vacation because it would drive me crazy not being able to work on it. I will likely make an update next month, or later this month.

My next project is going to be much more ambitious. But I'll be building properly on the 8-unit grid, only having one or two small outdoor areas, and any long areas will be divided onto rooms and hallways with corners, instead of long straight hallways.

I'll also make much nicer ambient music choices and make sure I know how to place my lights properly.

Cool. Or then you might just let this mission go and put that saved energy into your new project.

I visited my Beleaguered Fence with DR some time ago, and oh, it truly is a mapping nightmare. Fixing some building problems there and optimizing it would consume so much energy the improvement would not be worth the trouble.

At any rate, I await your future works with great interest.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

A nice mission with a lot of new stuff. goodjob.gif

I tried to open the map in Dark Radiant and it crashed.

Then I tried r_showLightCounts and the game crashed...

...but I did get a peek and saw a great number of white areas (6+ overlapped lights). I am not sure if my dmap took or there was simply too many lights in the scene anyway (downstairs long-view hall).

Mental note to myself: They said it's a problem of the graphics card and not TDM.

If anyone is having perf. issues with TDM missions, then they can put the following cvars into their doomconfig.config file, this will improve the framerate and stutter/chop when in-game, but may increase loading times a little -

image_usePrecompressedTextures "1"
image_useNormalCompression "2"
image_useAllFormats "1"
image_useCompression "1"
image_preload "1"

Sorry... couldn't resist. smileymania.at_10480.gif

Love the Monty Python's Quest for the Holy Grail references

exactly.gif

By the way: Looks like there's a new wood texture with a face. :)

post-3384-13097249226_thumb.png

I had to abandon this mission

when I got to the room after the one where the two guards are playing cards which have a load of chests and a lift in them.

Everything slowed almost to a halt to the extent I couldn't pick the chest locks and even had a job to press the button to summon the lift. When I went to the middle floor the game was just as slow there like moving through treacle. So , a bit disappointed in this one and I think I'll leave it there. I did like the start though with the balloon once I got started. The frame rate was very good early on , so I can't understand why it slowed up so at the point it did. May be my computer , but earlier missions have played o.k including the others recently posted by other members. I didn't appear tobe using up all my ram and the processor wasn't overstretched. It would be churlish to atempt to rate it as my experience has been limited , but I was enjoying it up to the freeze up.

No one picked up on this post. Did anyone else experience the same problem or is is just me and my computer ? Does this sort of mission need a higher end computer ? I've two gigs of ram , does this type of mission need more ? Do I have to tweek my system to play it ? Other missions recently have played o.k.Just trying to be constructive.

Edited by raymeld

No one picked up on this post. Did anyone else experience the same problem or is is just me and my computer ? Does this sort of mission need a higher end computer ? I've two gigs of ram , does this type of mission need more ? Do I have to tweek my system to play it ? Other missions recently have played o.k.Just trying to be constructive.

Oh no, it's not just you. I had horrible performance issues in certain areas, and I have 2 video cards and 6 gigs of ram and a quad core processor in my laptop.

Oh no, it's not just you. I had horrible performance issues in certain areas, and I have 2 video cards and 6 gigs of ram and a quad core processor in my laptop.

Well thanks for that , it certainly clarifies it for me. Nice to know it wasn't something I could have tweaked . I don't need extra ram for anything else I use the computer for so don't intend to increase it at this time , anyway you've six gigs and still had issues with the mission. Especially too as other missions have played well. Was looking forward to meeting that robot too , oh well !!

Edited by raymeld

Well thanks for that , it certainly clarifies it for me. Nice to know it wasn't something I could have tweaked . I don't need extra ram for anything else I use the computer for so don't intend to increase it at this time , anyway you've six gigs and still had issues with the mission. Especially too as other missions have played well. Was looking forward to meeting that robot too , oh well !!

What I did was douse every other lamp in that hallway on both sides until my water arrows ran out, then performance levelled out a bit.

What I did was douse every other lamp in that hallway on both sides until my water arrows ran out, then performance levelled out a bit.

Interesting , must remember to try that , tried the usual closing all doors trick to no avail.