The Dark Mod Forums

OLD THREAD - Fan Mission: The Siege Shop by PranQster (2011/06/26)

PranQster

32 members have voted

1. 1. For a first-time FM, you would rate this as:

• Total Crap
    • Not Too Shabby
    • Honorable Mention
    • Pretty Darn Good
  2. 2. Was the gameplay:

• Too easy
    • Not bad, but needs to be more challenging
    • About right
    • Too hard

Since 1.08, all of the default 2-hinge & 3-hinge doors with old wood texture are screwed up. Also, the older looking beds and kitchen shelving, most silver items: stein, goblet, tea pitcher & platter. Also the alpha blend areas in prefabs such as the pile of dirt. Also the mountain sunset sky texture looks grey and scrambled too.

Nothing has changed with those particular textures. Sounds like some kind of video card/driver issue to me.

Update

To Do:

• Optimize any lighting which already looks ok (not much does) and fix the rest. 50% done
  • Re-do sounds. 70% done
  • Re-write the read-ables.
  • AI paths and anims, about half done so far. 75% done
  • Re-do & expand the entrance cave system, now the back door. 85% done
  • Create the 'front door' area... larger cave entrance to accommodate the large siege weapons. 35% done
  • A few models to replace which have bad textures/broken alpha transparencies since 1.08 under Linux (64bit, in my case)... a libjpeg issue, so I hear. 95% done
  • Fix pathfinding through an elevator system with visportal, followed by a locked door. I think I need an path_corner before the AI can pathfind through the door in this case. Was an info_location separator touching the face of one of the elevator entities. Fixed
  • A few textures yet to sort out. 75% done
  • Beta test for TDM 2.x and 1.08: in progress for 1.08 (self-beta); 0% done for 2.0

Edited by PranQster

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like you're making great progress. The blacksmith shop above looks well used and lived in and the fire soot decals are great.

I never played the original but I'll have to do that to compare and contrast when this one comes out.

Keep up the good work!

Edited by Lux
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

This is turning into quite a big project. More than 50% of the map has been either re-textured, has modified architecture, or both. There are now weather effects, more sound effects, and RIT networks are taking over for traditional pathfinding. There is an expanded entrance cave system (player start area) and digging has begun behind the workshop to give the catapults room to be moved through a cavern to the hypothetical "front gates".

The readables need to be scrapped...entirely. I looked at them last night and just groaned and groaned. I will never again attempt to write any story without access to mind-alternating herbal substances, because it's obvious that I can't write when "sober".

• 5 months later...

Very strange. I've just started this mission (the readme says version 3, build Oct 9 #5890) ... and I seem to have a similar problem to that described ages ago by raymeld (message #50).

I'm in the starting caves at the bottom of a small waterfall with a walkway high above (patrolled by a hammer with a torch) ... and there's nowhere to go. I can see a rope arrow in the woodwork in just the place I'd shoot one if I had one, but there's no rope dangling from it, and there's certainly nowhere else to go.

This seems ever so odd, and nobody else seems to have complained, so I'm at a loss. My inventory is pretty bare, and there's definitely nowhere else to go. I can climb a little up one rock wall but no further.

What am I missing, or what's gone wrong?

Search for a rope arrow nearby and use it on the ledge ;)

-> http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/15117-fan-mission-the-siege-shop-v3-by-pranqster-and-lowenz-20131010/

Edited by lowenz

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

The previous guy was... less professional. Likely didn't maintain his ropes :)

Which was why I was so worried about having to trust his dodgy old ropes ;)

Incidentally, I've stumbled into what may be a bug. I ended up going on a bit of a slaughter fest (normally I try to ghost, but I changed my mind!) and found myself quite a bit short of loot. Went back upstairs and onto the roof and

found a bottle hidden away right at the top outside

-- and then suddenly acquired a new goal to

pick somebody's pocket.

Checking all the (numerous) bodies (one guy died when I black-jacked him and he fell off his scaffold) I can't find any way to complete the new goal ... but then maybe I've missed an entire area.

I probably need to restart the mission anyway and make rather less of a hash of it!

That objective is optional and doesn't affect the amount of loot. Yes, that objective does get broken if the player KO's the guard before getting the objective, or if the lootbag is picked first.

I'd go back in and have another look around...maybe a random scroll points to something you overlooked.

Also, look for any old cliché hiding spots with hidden levers, etc. I know of at least one :)

Edited by PranQster

• 1 year later...

I still can't find the

key to the chest

in the bedroom, I read here that its by the bed, and unless it's

hidden behind the tapestry

, I have no way of slashing it because I don't have a sword.

Try.....jumping around :D

Task is not so much to see what no one has yet seen but to think what nobody has yet thought about that which everybody see. - E.S.

I've jumped around on the bed, beside the bed both sides, by the foot of the bed, I've tried using the telescope, I've contorted in the oddest ways trying to see if I can catch a glimpse of that bloody key.

Where by the bed is it? by the head? by the foot? towards the left or the right? I'm telling you if I didn't know better I'd say I already have it because no way can it be this hard to get a key. I've tried all the keys I have on the chest and none work, so I know I don't have it.

I just watched a video walkthrough to see where the key is, and it turns out that for some reason the fm I'm playing is not the one on the video, I mean it's the same fm but mine is the 3rd release, the bed looks very different too. Its more ornate in the video.

Edit again. I found the danged key! It was on top of the wardrobe! What on earth?

Edited by llanita
  • Like 1

fosig_zpshhfnjs18.png