The Dark Mod Forums

Keeping this thing together

brethren

At this point, I almost have to assume Canetoad and Dussander are out; they haven't even logged on to the boards here for 3 weeks now. Not exactly promising considering the project was just getting started at that point. I'm not exactly sure how to keep everyone on track here, I think it's important for everyone on the team to be at essentially the same progress point in their levels if we're going to actually create a campaign.

Is it too "motherly" to have everyone report in once a week with their progress? Nobody wants to play watchdog, but if we do nothing, everyone will be on their own schedules and this thing will likely never get finished.

Ideas anyone? How do we keep the team together and on the same page? Should there be consequences if some members are trailing behind?

I think it would be helpful to have some kind of free task tracking page, and ask people to update their status weekly, giving a rough percentage of how far along they feel they are. I think when people see that, it helps them feel like there is constant progress being made, and it's encouraging.

*shrug* if people ditch, it just means that this whole thing won't be as big a success as wished. as long as 3 fm's get released with a loose story, mission accomplished. 3 newly accomplished mission authors with a release under the belt. i think the community will certainly get a boost of confidence that TDM is blooming rather than stagnating if we can get that done, even if the missions aren't any good. progress is progress, and more mappers is more mappers. its all towards the good.

I think when people see that, it helps them feel like there is constant progress being made, and it's encouraging.
That's one reason why I'm quiet detailed with my progress in my mapping thread ;-)

... and it's good to see accomplishments and have some overview of rough progress estimate for oneself as well to keep motivated. Of course it may not need be that much detailed as I try it for my campaign map if you don't need some guideline of tasks and progress track to keep yourself focused.

[Edit: deleted some campaign internal info]

Edited by fllood

"To rush is without doubt the most important enemy of joy" ~ Thieves Saying

At this point, I almost have to assume Canetoad and Dussander are out; they haven't even logged on to the boards here for 3 weeks now.

Did you tried e-mailing them?

I think it's important for everyone on the team to be at essentially the same progress point in their levels if we're going to actually create a campaign. Ideas anyone? ... Should there be consequences if some members are trailing behind?

No - at least how the project is currently structured: Everyone making their map as everyone do like (theme, size, story) and cluing all together at the end with a campaign main story (and probably a few twists/changes here and there needed for that in each map). And that makes sense to me! That way it allows for people not only to drop out, but also to drop in anytime before the last phase had began: making a story and building the campaign from our individual missions. No one should be forced to spend his time with mapping - if someone spend his time otherwise no problem for me as long we aren't in the final phase or anyone slowed down by that. We therefore should definitely base the campaign that way that if people drop (and we know people do) it won't affect the others which are keen getting something cool being completed

However I would like to see people at least communicate. What they are up with their maps, rough status, exciting findings or problems they ran into . Also if they drop out for whatever reasons.

So it depend what aim are you like to get at. Regards to the forum posts so far Brethren and me did start with our maps. If I understand your post Ungoliant you are rolling ideas for your map and the campaign story? And Jaxa at least started his mapping thread.

What is the status with you other guys?

[Edit: deleted some campaign internal info]

Edited by fllood

I apologise for not being in contact, I was recently promoted and work has taken a lot of my time and energy, I've also been away the last two weekends. I do hope to start very soon.

I've made a concept and planned the approximate design of my college. I also believe a college could accomodate the plot ideas that have been discussed.

• 5 weeks later...

Helloo......hello......hello.

Sorry for being away guys. I'm also not going to have access to a computer to map from for about a week so I'll come back and post next weekend. When is the proposed deadline again? If it was mentioned then I completely forgot.

Don't know about you guys, but I've definitely been a victim of summer - too much other stuff going on right now. I think once September hits, I'll have a little more time for DR. That said, I'm absolutely still on board with the project, hope everyone else is too.

• 5 weeks later...

Just sent out to PMs to everyone on the team, kinda wondering at this point how interested everyone is. I realize summer is busy, but really, no one has been posting much of anything here in the forum since the first few weeks when we started up.

The only members even somewhat active on the board here are myself, jaxa, and ungoliant. flloood has been on somewhat recently, and Neb hasn't been on for a month. I'm guessing Canetoad and Dussander are out of the picture, as they haven't logged on for months.

It's cool if we want to fold up our tents and everyone who's serious just wants to work on their own projects. Tell me what you want to do.

Update: jaxa is out. Also, fllood is in, but aiming more for a Spring 2012 release than end of the year. Realistically, at this point end of the year probably isn't going to fly anyway, so that should be cool.

I have to assume at this point, the team is down to:

Brethren

Ungoliant

fllood

and possibly Neb, although I haven't heard anything back yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Brethren, ungoliant,

After four people seam to have been dropped, how do you think about let join pusianka this club?

Just to get some feel where you are with your FM, how is your progress?

yeah if we are down to 3, best to let another join if possible. I'd estimate i'm at about 15% overall. I've made some fun stuff, cave tunnels, and a miners office building, and a deep shaft for a broken elevator that the player will have to scale down to get to the lower levels. granted i haven't done jack shit for about 2 weeks, but its still in the works of course. just need a motivation bump.

• 1 month later...

I'm still around - but as far as my map, I have seem to have about 3-4 map attempts, of which I'm not sure which ones I eventually want to finish. All are rough, rough, rough, no more than 5-10% complete. At some point, I'll have to commit to one or another.

How about anyone else? Feels like this project as a collective is somewhat in danger of collapsing.

How about anyone else?

You can follow my progress status in my mapping thread guys.

Edited by fllood

• 1 month later...

Brethren, Ungoliant ...

as you'd joined in the noob contest:

So what's the status with you guys regards this campaign?

Is this a pause or the end of the Novice Campaign??

No problem folks if it make sense to you to pursue mapping in a contest setting for chances to finish a first small map.

Just like to know.

As if the campaign efforts have come to an end I like to change things in my map. Trying to make it playable as single map (if possible). Even considering to join the noob contest later on as well in case I have more time for mapping in the weeks begining next year.

Edited by fllood

Though we've stated that only people without a released mission can be in the campaign, it's only the three of us who've shown any interest. Even if Ungoliant and I join the contest, we can still write our own rules for putting together a campaign later. I'm going to attempt an entry for the contest, since the campaign seems a bit dead at the moment, but I'm still open to putting together with you guys down the road if you're game.

• 5 months later...

Since there's only been one post in this forum in the last three months, should we assume this project is defunct? Is there still a need for this forum?

I think the campaign is dead and probably most nobody might read this forum. Anyway, if you want to close this forum please give me some head-up and time to find a decent way to export my own "map thread". It does help myself to keep track of my own progress and the initial ideas.

Edited by fllood

• 2 months later...

Hi Springheel, I did backup any info I needed from this Sub-Forum. You can close it now if you like.

Well, I'm kinda new here myself but I'm wondering if anyone has considered Google+? We could use the hangouts feature to collaborate in realtime with screen sharing, Google Docs, and task lists...I'm just starting to play around with it but I already see it's potential for collaboration on many levels. I think the difference between hobby modders and professional game designers is that the pros all work in an office together where they can look over each other's shoulder. With screensharing we suddenly have that ability. We could have weekly meetings where we show off the progress we've made in real time, as well as task assignments and brainstorming. I think the team members would bond better as well since voice chat is a bit more intimate than a forum.

Taurus philosophy:

Give me a hammer and tell me I have 6 hours to break up a 2 inch thick layer of ice. As soon as you walk away I'm going to use some hot water and salt so I can take a nap for the remaining 5 and a half hours. Taureans hate wasting energy and if there's a more efficient way to do something they will find it.