The Dark Mod Forums

Saved games crash on reload after running runAAS

hobbes1069

Subject pretty much says it all. I'm running linux and when I notice that the AI walk paths don't look right I run "runAAS mapname" This fixes their walk paths but if I save after running it then when I reload from that save it crashes darkmod...

Any ideas?

Richard

Does this happen in every map? I think it's time to file a tracker entry and see if someone with debugging skills (likely grayman or greebo :) can debug this. But they are currently both taking a break, so it might take a while (weeks :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I wonder if this is linked to the reported linux issue, which makes maps complain about aas32 out of date even if the map would work alright in windows side. That problem has been around as long as I remember.. :wacko:

As a workaround, people have been dmapping their maps manually before playing.

You do this by opening the console and saying "dmap mapname"

For a layman, it does not sound totally unintuitive for the saves to crash if the AAS files are different for the saves..

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I've tried this on two different maps with the same result....

Also, only one of them complained about AAS being out of date but I was starting a map and noticed that the AI (what's the correct way to refer to an NPC?) kept walking in an oval circle that would be impossible to get around so I ran "runAAS" and he started walking further down the hallway.

I'll try the other suggestion...

Thanks,

Richard

Also, only one of them complained about AAS being out of date but I was starting a map and noticed that the AI (what's the correct way to refer to an NPC?) kept walking in an oval circle that would be impossible to get around so I ran "runAAS" and he started walking further down the hallway.

If AAS is out of date, the AI pathfinfing is broken and the AI will walk in a weird manner. Essentially they can't navigate.

If you dmap, the pathing aas32-file will be rebuilt and the map should work.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Dmap runs in three phases:

Storage of visible triangles (batched up into surfaces) in *.proc,

Physics collision model *.cm (which can be bypassed with dmap noCM mapname), and

AAS generation *.aas## (which can be bypassed with dmap noAAS mapname, or run independently with runAAS)

runAAS was the right thing to do (it doesn't suck away tons of resources like dmap).

Just run the console command before starting the mission. AAS can't change during runtime.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

Dmap runs in three phases:

Storage of visible triangles (batched up into surfaces) in *.proc,

Physics collision model *.cm (which can be bypassed with dmap noCM mapname), and

AAS generation *.aas## (which can be bypassed with dmap noAAS mapname, or run independently with runAAS)

runAAS was the right thing to do (it doesn't suck away tons of resources like dmap).

Just run the console command before starting the mission. AAS can't change during runtime.

I never tried pulling up the console in the menu...

That's got it! So when I was running AAS after loading the map it did fix the walk paths (in memory) but it didn't get written to the actual map files? Or rather it did get written and somehow made the saved games incompatible with the map?

Either way, Thanks!

Richard

• 11 months later...

I'm opening a tracker entry for this, as it somehow was overlooked. Does this happen for you in every map? If not, can you please list the ones where it does happen?