The Dark Mod Forums

FM : Winter Harvest v2 by Bikerdude and Shadowhide

Shadowhide

16 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom.

• shadowhide,you're a probably the biggest douchebag in the world and you suck
    • Poor
    • Ok
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect
  2. 2. Appearance: Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style.

3. 3. Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling

hi dudes

MISSION CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE UNTIL IT IS MADE 2.0 COMPATIBLE

whats new :

all areas has been a visualy improved.looks very cool (Bikerdude)

very few new areas (Bikerdude)

bugfixes (me)

fade in and fade out when teleports (me)

new Ai's (Bikerdude and me)

some SEED usage (me)

grammatical errors fix (Midnight,jaxa,Bikerdude)

some new visual effects (me,Bikerdude)

feel free to use this mission as scripting helper

Edited by Springheel
  • Like 1

Proceed with caution!

grammatical errors fix (Midnight,jaxa,Bikerdude,Springheel)

I didn't fix any grammar.... :huh:

Thanks for the effort you put into the fixes and updates to improve the map SH and Biker!

"To rush is without doubt the most important enemy of joy" ~ Thieves Saying

A vast improvement over the first release, well done to Shadowhide and Biker! (stealth score of 156? lolwut)

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

For a reason I cannot remember, I never really played the first release, so I gave this one a try.

A question:

I have the blackjack & the pagan orb. What to do now?

There are still some bugs in the map. Hovering trees, missalignment at the fireplace in the beginning.

And what about the great nothingness that you encounter if you swimm across the pound?

Edited by Chiron

Congrats on the update Shadowhide & Bikerdude. This was an improvement over the first version in some ways. I have made some positive and some negative notes:

Positive - It seemed a little more blended no brights spots here and dark spots there.(Although this could be related to the new monitor) There was a little more to the story that helped move the mission along. I liked the houses except in the house with the note and key he mentions how he has no food yet there is a loaf of bread on the floor. Your swamp was much nicer and calmer. I liked the castle. I had to noclip into the armory because the guy was so riled up he just ran in circles in front of the door so I couldn't open it. Perhaps it would be better to have the door swing outwards. I also liked how the target at the end moved around instead of just standing there getting shot.

Negative - There was still no way of knowing that the AI (except large spiders-not sure why they were there) at the beginning were friendly so if I hadn't known I would have run around avoiding them and getting frustrated. It wouldn't have mattered how much improvements you did because I wouldn't have gotten passed the beginning. The large forest that I couldn't see through - not even moon beams mentioned. There was no clear path through it so I had to either crawl or run into a wall to find my way.

Edit - Forgot to mention that when you are transported to the swamp make sure you're not in a crouched position because all you will see on your screen is black although you can hear the sounds. Upon standing up the swamp was revealed.

Edited by Thiefette

Hi guys. :)

I just translated this FM into Italian. : D

Here's the link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6AYWBK0S :D

But I met a big bug after talking with the Pagan: I am in the bedroom and I want to leave, but i can not interact with the door in any way. I used the noclip and next door is still not interact. And then I used noclip again. :laugh:

Another thing:

Where is the unholy crown?

:D

p.s. The first door I see a golden light line.

Edited by ECHELON

It's under the end of the bed. The door will open after you find it.

Hint: look under the bed, what you find opens the door.

Thanks a lot. :D

It was all connected to the crown. : /

p.s. bikerdude, you have posted in the wrong tread. ;)

p.p.s

Positive - It seemed a little more blended no brights spots here and dark spots there.(Although this could be related to the new monitor) There was a little more to the story that helped move the mission along. I liked the houses except in the house with the note and key he mentions how he has no food yet there is a loaf of bread on the floor. Your swamp was much nicer and calmer. I liked the castle. I had to noclip into the armory because the guy was so riled up he just ran in circles in front of the door so I couldn't open it. Perhaps it would be better to have the door swing outwards. I also liked how the target at the end moved around instead of just standing there getting shot.

Negative - There was still no way of knowing that the AI (except large spiders-not sure why they were there) at the beginning were friendly so if I hadn't known I would have run around avoiding them and getting frustrated. It wouldn't have mattered how much improvements you did because I wouldn't have gotten passed the beginning. The large forest that I couldn't see through - not even moon beams mentioned. There was no clear path through it so I had to either crawl or run into a wall to find my way.

Edit - Forgot to mention that when you are transported to the swamp make sure you're not in a crouched position because all you will see on your screen is black although you can hear the sounds. Upon standing up the swamp was revealed.

Total quote.

• 2 weeks later...
I did try and get young SH do revise the storey so player would be easier able to understand what they needed to do to complete the mission....

"if I do revised story,I need to get a new vocals and change created ones" - thats what i said before

If SH ever adandon's this map I will take it over and effect the above.

You deleted a half of the map for a first time :) also you have cloned some script controlled objects,so I was forced to change script file of the mission.Ah and you deleted escape zone too :) i have return it.

Edited by Shadowhide

Proceed with caution!

What would you like me to say?

I tried to be diplomatic about your original map which was widely panned.

Yes, people should have an open mind.

Again, your mission would probably get one more star in the ranks if you had recommended that players talk to the NPC's somehow. I see that the surprise of learning that an NPC is friendly is a strange reward of it's own but most would not feel the frustration of wandering the map until they stumble-upon that insight to be fun. I can only imagine this working if you box the player in close quarters so the discovery is quick. I am probably a weirdo because I simply enjoyed soaking in the strange forest atmosphere and the zen-like mood until I discovered the trick. :laugh:

Look, I even defended your work against Aidakeeley's merciless criticism of it.

Mission authors should get promotion for their work but (to be frank) promoting missions that are generally un-liked in the community is bad business. On top of this, TDM is still gathering it's fare share of well-made traditional missions. I can see Thief mappers and players hankering for "something different" after years of conventional missions but TDM does not have such a library of the normal stuff for players to be hoping for strange new changes.

I suppose given that the mod is promoted in part as an extension of Thief 2 FM culture that we might expect more of these "post Thief" style missions. It would be a shame, however, if all the Thief 2 veterans who do TDM work decided to make strange "Art missions" because they were so done with the traditional ways.

Spitter never finished his TDM mission for that very reason, he was sick of Thief style games and that is a REAL shame.

Don't get me wrong, if someone comes along with a TDM version of "Tales of the Penitent Thief" I will eat that up. But that is not what is needed now... We need more quality conventional missions.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

My apologies PranQster.

The release article referred to here is a promotional article at Moddb....

Ahh, no worries. I just had no idea what was meant by release article and thought I had forgotten to do something.

I might re-visit my first mission to do some fixes and take a small break from my current map. I have a few new ideas I'd like to implement.

"Moddb is not about promoting any particular mission. It is about promoting TDM to new players, and not all missions do that especially well. There should be no requirement or expectation that all missions will get some kind of article on moddb, IMO." -Springheel

I wasn't even really aware of moddb... seen the name, but never have visited that site. I saw the post saying my mission lacked a release article and thought I'd done something wrong. :)

Oh yeah... one more thing...

" I know that you made many custom scripts for this mission so I would not be surprised to find that all those script actions are just too CPU intensive." -nbohr1more

It may come as a surprise, but here is the entirety of scripting from my mission:

void LeverISFrobable()
{
$drawbridge_lever01.setFrobable( 1 );
sys.trigger($atdm_gui_message_1);
}

So, I'm going to blame most of the poor performance on the non-optimized lighting and uncut brushes, lack of converting brushes to entities, and such.

Edited by PranQster

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

Thanks for the details PranQster.

Given that, I think that you are looking at a situation where the map compiler is merging all the polys for those big walls such that every light affects the light count for the whole surface. This is the possibly the rare exception where brush carving can make a HUGE difference. Though, the Entity conversion step will do some carving for you and should be done first. You won't get a clean read of the improvement unless you do the optimizations in reverse to satisfy your idle curiosity. Also meaning, you might get enough of a boost from the simple breakup of World Spawn to Entities (which will also lower the path-finding overhead) that it might not be necessary to do a brush carve run afterwards.

Good luck. :)

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

I played this new version of the mission and I think it looks much better, especially the ending section. Now that there is a light source and it isn't full-bright, it is a much more believable place. I was still able to cross the river though on my way back and I proceeded to walk to the edge of the world. Then I dove off and killed myself, just because I could. Question: does that count as a "leak"? I just came to a square shaped piece of land with the skybox in the distance.

Seriously though, I appreciate everyone who has made a mission for TDM... and everyone who has helped the mod in some other way.

--- War does not decide who is right, war decides who is left.