The Dark Mod Forums

FM : Winter Harvest v2 by Bikerdude and Shadowhide

Shadowhide

16 members have voted

1. 1. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom.

• shadowhide,you're a probably the biggest douchebag in the world and you suck
    • Poor
    • Ok
    • Good
    • Excellent
    • Near Perfect
  2. 2. Appearance: Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style.

3. 3. Story & Text: Story. Text. Briefing. Graphic storytelling

I had a playthrough of the revised v2. I will try now to fairly review and focus on the map. Please people get back from unconnected negativities to that too.

To start with:

There had been really a lot things polished. Also some of mine feedback for the inital release.

In detail:

+ Ambient Music choice and SFX are way MUCH better now. In fact it is now really very good chosen.

+ The luminous perilous spiders dwelling around the church. Love them!

+ Lots of small visual enhancements, like: windows, decals, particles, moving grass at the prision ceiling

+ Lot of improved scenes, specially the Swamp and Summer scene, the Pond and the enhanced Church. The Prison had been very fine alreay before.

+ I like to give special mention to the Library. I had been nice in the former version. But to me now it became a really beautiful room full of atmosphere. That kind of library you just want to grap an old book and make yourself comfortably on one of the comfortable couches and start reading a fine novel :). Good job.

+ Added AI's to avoild/sneak in the castle.

+ New Mage AI moving/ducking in side towers.

+ Use of the completely adequate standard TDM briefing GUI.

+ Player didn't start standing in the bed anymore. Good!

O Still nothing to discover in and beyond the pond. A simple skeleton with some ornament would have done that.

O The new two Huts in the forest are nice, however I liked the former more inividuel kind of Bauhaus-styled buildings

- The briefing text still do not mention that people in the forest are friendly. it's crucial and should!

- a few minor visual things, nothing show breaking imo. (trees floating in the air over the chasm at the gameworld border beyond the pond, new Z-fightling in library, patch problem downstairs in the tower)

I'm glad to see SH/BD did listen to the feedback, squeezed many of the bugs and also improved this mission really a lot. That should be acknowledged. So it is a huge pity that the FM lack just one more sentence in the briefing about the friendliness of the forest people to sort out one of the biggest remaining complain.

A FM shouldn't get negativity just because the author decided to go for a fantasy tale in this example instead of a taffing scenario even if it is unconventional to a First Person Sneaker Mod. I applaud diversity of gamplay or "where no FMA has gone before" with a mod. In the case of Winter Harvest v2 I enjoyed the mood and the different gamplay. It's up to the author what he likes to build and accomplish. And to the players what to enjoy.

I can recommand a playthrough of Winter Harvest v2 to decide yourself. Just know the fact that people in the forest are friedly fellows! ;)

Edited by fllood

"To rush is without doubt the most important enemy of joy" ~ Thieves Saying

• 2 weeks later...

ShadowHide, please add a poll to this mission. Preferably one that closely matches the contest format. I would like to see how this improved version fares in the rankings.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Hmmm... my previous response disappeared. I had mentioned, using spoiler tags, a strange situation when fighting the final guy.

I wonder who removed my response and why...?

It was probably during one of the times this thread got chopped up and tossed out into other forums.

Hmmm... my previous response disappeared. I had mentioned, using spoiler tags, a strange situation when fighting the final guy.

I wonder who removed my response and why...?

its in old WH thread

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/12690-seasons-contest-entry-winter-harvest-by-shadowhide/page__st__150

Edited by Shadowhide

Proceed with caution!

• 5 weeks later...

hey guys,why there is "poor" votes for story ? you guys prefer readables that tells you the story instead of story telled by AI's ?

i decided to make a 3.0 update.

Like in casual TDM missions,there will be no talking AI's.Readables will tell the story to a player, not AI's.

Also there will be awesome,glamorous briefing that will make you change your opinion about the story.

No more scripts and interactions,only blackjack and loot - hunt . Mission will be much more enjoyable and much less frustrating ! You all will vote 5/5 in every category !

Edited by Shadowhide

Proceed with caution!

hey guys,why there is "poor" votes for story ? you guys prefer readables that tells you the story instead of story telled by AI's ?

With that awesome,glamorous briefing I would gave the story three stars. For all other things see my elaborate opinion about how to improve the story in this FM.

Like in casual TDM missions,there will be no talking AI's.Readables will tell the story to a player, not AI's.

No more scripts and interactions,only blackjack and loot - hunt . Mission will be much more enjoyable and much less frustrating ! You all will vote 5/5 in every category !

making jokes?

You want to make a classic thief FM? make a new one!

Edited by fllood

"To rush is without doubt the most important enemy of joy" ~ Thieves Saying

Wow. What a terrible bit of polemic.

Why is it a "poor" story? Well, in my own opinion...

I thought it was a childish and uncompelling narrative. There was no real motivation for me to "find the house key" or "lay the body to rest in a sarcophagus" or other such quests.

I never cared for any one character in the story.

The [grammatically poor] prologue in the briefing didn't give me enough information before thrusting me into the world that you crafted. It only served to frustrate me.

I really liked how it was told (namely, that you wanted to include some voice acting), but I thought that it was still poor where you chose to use readables and where you chose to use voices.

All in all, since I didn't care at all for the characters, or for the world at large, the mission felt like an annoyance or a chore. If I sympathized more with the characters or the setting, maybe It would have been a more compelling (and more fun) mission.

Also, you are very very wrong if you think stories are told only through dialogue and readables.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

Your own beta-testers told you what the problems with the story were, and both Bikerdude and I suggested some simple improvements. You didn't want to take any of our advice, so I can't fathom why you're acting surprised about getting poor votes.