The Dark Mod Forums

Life Drawing Class (NSFW)

Glyph Seeker

I don't have much to show off nowadays, but I have overcome my anxiety and nerves to go to a nice life drawing class on Sundays for a few weeks! I've found it to be a bit of a confidence booster, so wanted to show off some of the 45 minute poses I've drawn in pencil!

Unfortunately, I was drawing on an A2 size pad, so it wasn't practical to scan them so I had to just take photos!

Anyway. I hope to have some good fantasy or SF pictures to show off at some point. Lord knows I've got tonnes and tonnes of Space Marine sketches to inspire me to build a Space Wolf army in WH 40k, ha ha. =-3

Anyway - I thought posting art threads like this would be my only way to contribute for a while.

post-8023-13123041496_thumb.jpg

post-8023-131230415222_thumb.jpg

post-8023-131230415454_thumb.jpg

post-8023-131230415707_thumb.jpg

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

I don't have much to show off nowadays, but I have overcome my anxiety and nerves to go to a nice life drawing class on Sundays for a few weeks! I've found it to be a bit of a confidence booster, so wanted to show off some of the 45 minute poses I've drawn in pencil!

Unfortunately, I was drawing on an A2 size pad, so it wasn't practical to scan them so I had to just take photos!

Anyway. I hope to have some good fantasy or SF pictures to show off at some point. Lord knows I've got tonnes and tonnes of Space Marine sketches to inspire me to build a Space Wolf army in WH 40k, ha ha. =-3

Anyway - I thought posting art threads like this would be my only way to contribute for a while.

So you spend your sundays transferring naked ladies from your retina to paper?

Looks cool, I wish I could draw too. Well, brushes, patches & entities shall suffice for me...

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Neat. The occasional odd bulge (some of which might exist in real life) or slight baroque anatomy ratio issue (EG gorilla arm, large hand) but nice. I wish my university would offer a course like this. It sounds therapeutic. :)

Your penciling style reminds me of my own. Every art teacher I've had since high school rails on how I couldn't make sharp, confident lines. :rolleyes:

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

one of our nude drawing lecturers was gay so we always got a male model to draw when we got him, not uploading those pictures anywhere, too risky. in all the nude drawing we ever did, we got 2 girls and one guy, and they were all fit, we never got anyone that was fat and saggy.

or slight baroque anatomy ratio issue (EG gorilla arm, large hand) but nice.

I remember reading some article saying the big hand proportions were done on purpose as a commentary on Renaissance humanism, cf. the David statue's hands... though I'm sure you (Mortem) may know a lot more about it than I!

I like the thinking that goes into drawing well & good composition -- forms, perspective, concept, etc. I only got so far with it just reading books though.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Thank you all!

Lol, yes - they're far from perfect - I'm aware of my anatomy short comings - but hopefully I'll get better with time and study. x-D

As for confident lines vs. loose recurring lines. Welp, frankly I'm a hell of a lot better than I was before - as far as I'm concerned if you don't suffer and do bad drawings now you'll never be doing good drawings in the future. =-P

• 1 month later...

The girl who organises the classes didn't add me to the round email saying they were back on >.>

So I've missed a bunch but I went to one yesterday and it worked out nicely for someone out of practice!

Just an A4 sketch - I was mostly drawing his feet and legs - found them quite interesting to do!

post-8023-13176782862_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Those are very well done, I'm glad you are keeping up with such a talent. I used to take life drawing classes and this one time we got a prostitute who smelled like poo. No joking. How did I know she was a whore?

A few weeks after that class my classmates (exchange students) were walking downtown Windsor, on the club scene, and she approached them wearing nothing but a leopard print coat. She flashed them her goods and asked if they were looking for a good time, but stopped halfway through her sentence when she recognized them. =D

Of course the one classmate (who's a filthy whore himself lol) took her up on the offer. XD

Ahhhh College.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

• 2 weeks later...

Those are very well done, I'm glad you are keeping up with such a talent. I used to take life drawing classes and this one time we got a prostitute who smelled like poo. No joking. How did I know she was a whore?

A few weeks after that class my classmates (exchange students) were walking downtown Windsor, on the club scene, and she approached them wearing nothing but a leopard print coat. She flashed them her goods and asked if they were looking for a good time, but stopped halfway through her sentence when she recognized them. =D

Of course the one classmate (who's a filthy whore himself lol) took her up on the offer. XD

Ahhhh College.

Hee, thanks man! Here's a couple from last week I actually did on A4 so I could scan them properly!

post-8023-0-19144200-1319985204_thumb.jpg

post-8023-0-51303700-1319985236_thumb.jpg

post-8023-0-36306800-1319985242_thumb.jpg

Those look really nice GS. I've always found drawing the human body the hardist thing to draw.

Would you ever be interested in making some pencil sketches of screen shots of a map? I'd really like to have an intro like the original thief games.

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

Absolutely - I would be delighted. The most accomplished artist on the forum that I know of is GameDevGoro, who I think is the only one with the skills to create even a shadow of the thief cut scenes - but I'd really like to create something that could echo that kind of aesthetic.

• 5 weeks later...

Had a hiatus where I missed one due to illness - then it was cancelled - then missed one due to running away from home for a weekend - but back again last Sunday and di dsome I'm pretty happy with - I'm definitely better than I was at capturing a quick 1 minute / 2minute pose than I was a few months back...

post-8023-0-26248700-1322666206_thumb.jpg

post-8023-0-90962800-1322666209_thumb.jpg

post-8023-0-27037400-1322666214_thumb.jpg