Contest Poll Format  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Halloween element, Storytelling and consistency

• One Star
    • Two Stars
    • Three Stars
    • Four Stars
    • Five Stars
  2. 2. Gameplay: Enjoyment. Fun duration. Smooth flow, ect. Versus Bugs. Frustration, Boredom, framelag?

• One Star
    • Two Stars
    • Three Stars
    • Four Stars
    • Five Stars
  3. 3. Aesthetics: Visual pleasure, lighting, visual style. Audio use, mood.

• One Star
    • Two Stars
    • Three Stars
    • Four Stars
    • Five Stars

I kinda got that drift Arcturus... Yes a good point of reference :)

@Biker: Yes, you need to fix your Ambient_World issue, that Doom 3 default ambient (Normal) is UUUUUGLY! Just look at how it ruins the shading on your wood textures. Blargh!

Honestly, they should have replaced the "Normal" ambient with Rebb's shader but I understand it's good for trouble-shooting purposes (etc). :huh:

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

@Biker: Yes, you need to fix your Ambient_World issue, that Doom 3 default ambient (Normal) is UUUUUGLY! Just look at how it ruins the shading on your wood textures. Blargh!

I've gotta do that this evening, as in put the ambient section in my .mtr file. Then add some Ai some readables and hopefully have the thing ready for testing.

Thanks. I took inspiration from this photo

very nice! ... remind me of Saturnine's Rose Cottage. Spooky Rose Red inspired settings are always cool!!

Edited by fllood

"To rush is without doubt the most important enemy of joy" ~ Thieves Saying

jesus fuck me christ. I hate to say it, but I don't have enough time and power to finish it on time. Only thing I'm sure is I won't participate in any more contests. :(

That's a shame but don't give up on the map. If you've started you might as well see it through

"I believe that what doesn't kill you simply makes you... stranger"

The Joker

I approached this with the idea of "speed build" in mind. Yes, my mission could have been much more complex and detailed. But it also could have taken months to build. I decided to "crank it out" and made a 3 week mission; very simple, but hopefully fun to play.

It's not so much about building what you want (which can take months as SH mentioned), but rather to do what you know can be done in a short time frame. Simple architecture helps (hence a bunch of caverns/tunnels in mine), using patches which take mere minutes to set up and tweak the shape and texture. I would have loved to have done a haunted mansion, but that would likely not have been possible for me, being a DR newbie, to make in 5-6 weeks and come out how I'd prefer.

I like the idea of doing speed builds from time to time, so we can see what people can make in a very short time... fun, small missions to fill the gaps between the big ones. My next mission is going to have some really cool elements in it which are already nearly perfected, but I have not even started on any city streets yet... I expect that to take me quite a while.

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

The right way to do a speed-built mission is to think small (things will become more complex on their own). Build a mission with a few small buildings. A small cave. A cramped monastery. Do the big stuff outside the contest.

Here are a few TDM missions that would fit perfectly within these conceptual limits:

Thief's Den

The Outpost

The Parcel

Special Delivery

Fiasco at Fauchard Street

Here are a few TDM missions which should not be imitated as a blueprint for a speedbuild map:

The Heart of Lone Salvation

The Tears of St. Lucia

St. Alban's Cathedral

No Honor Among Thieves

The difference is that the missions in the first group are either very small, or built using time-efficient techniques. The point is to have a bunch of small, nice missions, not multi-level campaigns. So I don't see what could ever be contentious about the contest.

Furthermore, there is no shame in failing to make a mission by the deadline. Hell, I failed to even start (although I had an idea I have been kinda desperate to realise for a while). No problem. Finish it in a few weeks extra, release it, and people will love it nonetheless.

Less bitching, less trolling, more building, peeps.

Edited by Melan
  • Like 1

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Channeling Purah with those towers?

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved